Menu

Charters schools that give money for FL residents?

Despite seeing at least half a dozen of the threads that mention buying curriculum with Charter school funds, it has literally just occurred to me that there might be something like that for Florida residents.

We are in Florida (duh) and I'm curious if there is a charter school that gives stipends/funds for students enrolled in its program. If you know of one, can you also explain the rules of spending the money?

I don't know why this never occurred to me before.

Edited by Gil

No, Florida does not give funds through charter schools.

They do allow homeschoolers to take Florida Virtual School classes for free, enroll part time in public high schools (and sometimes middle schools,) and dual enroll at local community colleges and universities for free (other than the price of textbooks.)

• Like 1

I believe California is the only state that does this. I love it for k-8 th grade but will not be using a charter for my 9th grader. The restrictions on what books/courses they use are too tight for my liking in high school.

I know people say you are not truly "homeschooling" because your child is registered in the public system, but I guess it doesn't bother me. I get to recieve funding for books and extracurricular things like art class, horseback riding lessons, music lessons, etc..and I get to stay at home and teach my kids. Win win for me. Yes, they do state testings and such, but it doesn't bother me at all. I don't homeschool to be out of the system, I homeschool because I love to be with my kids.

You should move to CA ! ;)

Edited by Peacefulisle
  • Like 5

Not just CA. Utah does, I think Idaho does, Alaska does, Minnesota does, I think also Washington, Oklahoma, and Hawaii, though not all are as flexible and generous as those in CA. It is a growing trend and one that I am very much in favor of, maybe FL just needs some advocacy to make it happen.

• Like 2

Not just CA. Utah does, I think Idaho does, Alaska does, Minnesota does, I think also Washington, Oklahoma, and Hawaii, though not all are as flexible and generous as those in CA. It is a growing trend and one that I am very much in favor of, maybe FL just needs some advocacy to make it happen.

Minnesota has a tax credit you can apply for if you homeschool, but to my knowledge they don't hand you a wad of cash every year for curriculum via a charter school.

I believe California is the only state that does this. I love it for k-8 th grade but will not be using a charter for my 9th grader. The restrictions on what books/courses they use are too tight for my liking in high school

Some charters here are really strict about high school, others not so much. I have kids enrolled in 2 different charters, 1 is waaaay more flexible than the other for high school. The less flexible is WASC accredited, I think that's probably why.

• Like 1

Some charters here are really strict about high school, others not so much. I have kids enrolled in 2 different charters, 1 is waaaay more flexible than the other for high school. The less flexible is WASC accredited, I think that's probably why.

Would you mind sending me a pm with the name of the one that is flexible for high school? I would love to check it out. :)

Alaska might. This year MN has Harmonyed.Com we do their flex program and receive some funds through that. Harmony is in 3 other states too, I don't recall which ones off hand though.

Sorry for the brief hijack, but I was looking at the Harmony website trying to figure out how exactly it works, and I'm a little confused. So it's basically a virtual public school that has several curriculum options, right? It sounds like you have to report to a "mentor" and your child has to have a set schedule and fill out worksheets that meet the state standards. Am I understanding it correctly? The website is a little vague on the details.

I've used Harmony in the past, it is not itself a charter school but partners with charter schools as a curriculum provider. As such there can be some variations from state to state and school to school. The "schedule" is really just a list of courses you are enrolling in, not a time schedule. If you do flex classes you choose your curriculum and teaching methods. You show you are meeting state standards by turning in worksheets, in my state that meant one languages age arts, one science, and one math worksheet per week. For elementary school where grades really aren't an issue we really just did a minimum to get by with the worksheets ( ie sometimes only completed half) I didn't like the worksheets at all. I liked the kit classes, there was no reporting for that. The school reimbursed curriculum and supplies, in some states they may be able to reimburse for extracurricular classes.

Sorry for the brief hijack, but I was looking at the Harmony website trying to figure out how exactly it works, and I'm a little confused. So it's basically a virtual public school that has several curriculum options, right? It sounds like you have to report to a "mentor" and your child has to have a set schedule and fill out worksheets that meet the state standards. Am I understanding it correctly? The website is a little vague on the details.

I've used Harmony in the past, it is not itself a charter school but partners with charter schools as a curriculum provider. As such there can be some variations from state to state and school to school. The "schedule" is really just as list of courses you are enrolling in, not a time schedule. If you do flex classes you choose your curriculum and teaching methods. You show you are meeting state standards by turning in worksheets, in my state that meant one languages age arts, one science, and one math worksheet per week. For elementary school where grades really aren't an issue we really just did a minimum to get by with the worksheets ( ie sometimes only completed half) I didn't like the worksheets at all. I liked the kit classes, there was no reporting for that. The school reimbursed curriculum and supplies, in some states they may be able to reimburse for extracurricular classes. Edited by maize
  • Like 1

Here is some of what I sent to a friend.

The girls are enrolled in the distance education part of the Worthington, MN school district known as VIBE. Harmony Education is the curriculum provider for them. Each student gets enrolled in 4 core subjects: math, language arts, social studies and science. For each of the core subjects you get to choose from a few online curriculums or choose their FLEX program. The flex program gives you $125 for the subject with the requirement that you submit a worksheet every 2 weeks. The worksheets follow the schools approach of a survey of subjects each grade. So with the girls, each had a worksheet or 2 at their grade level on plants, and a couple on basic physics/gravity, etc. They jump around and follow more of a traditional school method of covering a bunch of subjects a little bit each. 

You can mix and match, if you want to do science using an online option and then do the rest FLEX, that works, or any combo you want. If you do use FLEX, you can combine the funds among students and subjects. So for example if you spend $25 on math, you can lump the remainder into science and then have $225 for science. So, in addition to the 4 core subjects funds ($500 total) you get $300 for general education expenses/extras. We bought a bunch of art supplies. And you also can get an electives kit or participate in the options day. We chose Options Day. This school year it is weekly from 10-2:30. The kids have Karate, art, music and science labs.  

So to recap. If you do all FLEX option, you get $800 per student (it is less for kindergarten). And the weekly options day. You have to submit one worksheet in each core subject (math, language arts, social studies and science) every other week (18 days total per school year). 

1st semester was crazy for us, but I have liked our approach so far 2nd semester of just doing worksheet after worksheet until we are done. My goal was end of January, but with my mom's health, it will be pushed out to a couple weeks into Feb. But once they are done, I will feel like I can focus on some things I want like Logic of English, Bravewriter, using some of our science kits, building model rockets and having American girl doll get togethers with friends. So if we continue with the program next year, we will do all worksheets ASAP to get them done and then proceed with what I'd rather do. 

We do come across some things like fractions for example that we just haven't hit in our math sequence so I just teach to the worksheet knowing we will come back to it when our math book says to. 

Le t me know if you have other questions

• Like 2

I believe that California is the only state that sucks homeschoolers in by giving them money. Actually, it's usually a stipend and not cash, and it can't be used for religious materials of any kind (so, not for Rod and Staff textbooks, or Beautiful Feet Books, or KONOS), although some people pay for classes and whatnot.

The down side of enrolling your children in a charter school is that legally, they are no longer homeschooled students; they are public school students, and are subject to public school requirements for attendance and grade level and graduation and everything. Although in a sense you are choosing your children's educational methods and whatnot, you do not have the freedom to make all the decisions you do as a homeschooler.

Nothing is "free." That money that charter schools "give" to parents is not really free.

I don't think it is fair to say that homeschoolers get sucked in. People homeschool for a variety of reasons. Not everyone is opposed to all things public school. The OP was asking about charter options, thus would know that a charter student is not a traditional homeschool student.

Yes, it is "fair" to say that homeschoolers get sucked in. Maybe not *all* homeschoolers, but most of them.

If only this were true that people know charter school students are not homeschool students. I don't use the word "traditional," because it is a legal thing, not just "traditional" vs "not traditional."

• Like 1

Right, but the op was asking about enrolling in a charter school. Again, Anyone who makes a choice that is different shouldn't be made to feel wrong. Each family can research what is the best option for their family at any given time.

If they don't research what they sign up for that is ignorance, not getting "sucked in".

• Like 2

Right, but the op was asking about enrolling in a charter school. Again, Anyone who makes a choice that is different shouldn't be made to feel wrong. Each family can research what is the best option for their family at any given time.

If they don't research what they sign up for that is ignorance, not getting "sucked in".

She was asking about getting funds. I pointed out that only California does that. How is that making her feel wrong?

When people are asking questions, they need to have all the answers, not just the ones that will make them feel good about themselves.

And yes, it is getting sucked in. California public school people are smart. They know that they cannot control private home educators, and they also know that people will take money. So they have come up with charter schools that offer money/stipends. Freebies. Yes, it is getting sucked in.

:iagree:

It really seems harsh and close minded to think that people are incapable of analyzing all the options in their given state and to call their choice getting "sucked in".  I understand back when homeschooling was in the process of becoming legal, there were not all these options.  However, the reality is, today there are tons of options that allow for greater choice for each individual family.  For me, the important thing here is choice, and there is no right or wrong answer for all.  I'm sure most families actually have put thought into the option they chose, and simply were not "sucked in"  :001_huh:.  

• Like 4

She was asking about getting funds. I pointed out that only California does that. How is that making her feel wrong?

OP is a single father with two young sons who are way ahead of grade level. He is just trying to find whatever resources that may be available in his state for his kids.

• Like 3

When people are asking questions, they need to have all the answers, not just the ones that will make them feel good about themselves.

And yes, it is getting sucked in. California public school people are smart. They know that they cannot control private home educators, and they also know that people will take money. So they have come up with charter schools that offer money/stipends. Freebies. Yes, it is getting sucked in.

Besides the fact that you aren't even correct in your comments, which you'd know if you read any of the other replies, people don't usually feel neutral or complimented when they're said to have been "sucked-in" to something.

Several other states provide funding for public schooled students to have "homeschool-style" education.

• Like 2

I really feel everyone has a right to make a choice how they educate their child. People also have a right not to feel guilty using a charter.

Honestly, just to add my two cents in, I don't feel like I'm being controlled at all. Right now, I use whatever curriculum I want. It can be Christian, secular, or whatever. The samples they take just have to be neutral. It's no biggie.

The only thing that I have to do that I didn't do before is testing, which honestly , I don't mind in the least bit. I like to know where my kids are at.

I really feel strongly that charter independent study is a wonderful program, for all the good in it. I don't feel people should be or feel less than because they use a charter. I still tell people I homeschool, but always say under an independent study program. My TF is wonderful and my kids love her. She listens to me when I express my feelings about things, and works really hard to make my needs happen.

This post is not directed at anyone. It is to say, that there are many ways to home educate your child. This is just one of them.

I guess I just don't like the vibe this thread is getting.:( It makes me sad. Gil was desiring a little extra something for his kids, and shouldn't be made to feel bad about it.

• Like 7

I'm a huge fan of more educational options, and the home/public school hybrids are some of my favorites. I'm really hoping the flexible home education model spreads to more states, also more part time school and university model schools, partial enrollment in public school, vouchers for private schools, etc.

In addition to independent homeschooling, as one fabulous alternative among many.

I'd like to see every child, every family, have access to the opportunities and resources to facilitate a great education.

Edited by maize
  • Like 5