Menu

What vehicle do I want?

1bassoon

Oh wise Hive mind - enlighten me!

Our trusty Chrysler T&C bit the dust - transmission (which we already replaced once 5 years ago). We are looking to buy a replacement vehicle, and I need direction!

Our family is flying the coop - one out on her own, another in college likely not to return. Junior in high, freshman, 5th grader. So I really don't NEED 7 seats any more, but I like having some extra room.

I drive a LOT for ballet, etc, so gas mileage is important.

I'd love a 6-seater if at all possible, or at least a vehicle where the back seat isn't a squish-fest for 3 teenagers. We rented a Jeep something-or-other once for a trip, and the back seat was horrible.

We're not big camping/hauling people, so there's that. But we do have family out-of-state and would like to be able to have a dependable vehicle to travel in.

Finally, something that doesn't break down all the time!!!

My initial thoughts are a Toyota Highlander? Something not as huge as an SUV.

So give it to me. What kind of car do I want? GO!

I have a 16yo T&C - and it's still going strong (we took it to yellowstone last summer with no problems, and plan to take it to banff this year) . . . though I'd love to replace it - I realized we've bought five other cars in the last 16 years. (two for dh. his were totaled.  three for kids. -  they pay us back)  maybe this year, maybe next year will be my turn. . . . .I'm reluctant to give up the cargo capcity.  I only have two living at home.

I've had my eye on highlander (I really like how it handles) - do NOT count on putting tall people in that third row on a regular basis - and never for a trip.  (dh tells me if we do trips with kids - we can rent a suburban) and the cargo capacity - I can put a 4x8sheet of plywood in the T&C . . so, I'm also eyeballing the sequioa.  I didn't like the honda pilot. dsil bought one the summer before he and 2dd started dating.  he disliked it so much, he was ready to sell it after less than six months.  he gave it to her to drive instead and bought himself an accord.

• Like 1

We went from a Chrysler T&C to a Honda CRV.  I was really nervous to make the change in size, but we were at the same point as you:  children flying the coup, etc.

We are so pleased with our decision!  It's a great car that never seems to need maintenance and has very good mileage.  It's AWD and I really like that.  It has a big trunk for a medium-sized car.  You'd be surprised how much you can pack in there!  The back seats can also lay flat if you ever need to fit a bike in there or just more room for bulk packing.  (I brought my daughter to college with it.)  The driver's seat is so comfortable!

It's absolutely perfect for four people, but we also have three young-adult kids in the back often.  (Or sometimes I'll sit in back while one of our kids is driving.)  For long trips, it might be uncomfortable with three in the back, though we've done it for 5-hour trips a few times.  Three big men in back would definitely be squishy!

• Like 3

Subaru Outback. Just bought one and I looooooove it. The back seat is much more spacious than you'd guess. Much more so than our mid-size sedans. I wouldn't want my 3 teens back there for a 10 hour trip, but for a couple hours, it'd be fine.

I have an older Outback (slightly smaller than the new models) and I love it. Good mileage, reliable, plenty of cargo space. Three teenagers fit in the back, but it would be tight for long trips. I guess it depends how much of your driving would be for longer trips.... It is a bit raised off the ground and has 4 wheel drive, but is not as big as a true SUV.

• Like 1

I know, the cargo space in the T&C is just amazing!

Ours has 195K on it. How about yours?

150+K something.  has to be coming up on 160 . . . .

eta: and it's awd . . . . . I don't want another van (I only have two at home and one of them should be out soon),  but the hauling capacity . . . . drool.

Edited by gardenmom5

DH has a Highlander and we hate it. 

It gets good gas mileage, so I'll give it that. But it's extremely uncomfortable.  It's uncomfortable for me to drive, and not comfy to ride in.  DH is 6'4" and HE is comfortable driving. 

I can't imagine actually sitting in the third row seat.  I think it would feel extremely tight and claustrophobic.  As it is, I certainly wouldn't want to be the third person in the second row seat.

We got a great deal on the Highlander from DH's parents or we would never have gotten it.  For myself, I just purchased a used Dodge Grand Caravan.  Now THAT is a comfortable ride for all of us.  The third row seat doesn't match what you are looking for, but maybe a newer model would be more roomy?  

I have an older Outback (slightly smaller than the new models) and I love it. Good mileage, reliable, plenty of cargo space. Three teenagers fit in the back, but it would be tight for long trips. I guess it depends how much of your driving would be for longer trips.... It is a bit raised off the ground and has 4 wheel drive, but is not as big as a true SUV.

Here in WV, everyone has Outbacks, lol. I swear, more ppl have them than have minivans, it seems. The high clearance is super awesome with our crappy pot holed roads. :) And for the snow. Handles awesome. LOVE it. 

Mine is brand new, but it is very spacious. Much more leg room for my 6' tall son in the back seat than in our other cars. You can have lots of room up front and still have lots of room in the back.

• Like 2

Here in WV, everyone has Outbacks, lol. I swear, more ppl have them than have minivans, it seems. The high clearance is super awesome with our crappy pot holed roads. :) And for the snow. Handles awesome. LOVE it. 

Mine is brand new, but it is very spacious. Much more leg room for my 6' tall son in the back seat than in our other cars. You can have lots of room up front and still have lots of room in the back.

So you know what's crazy? There are almost NO outbacks listed for sale here in AL! I remember when we moved here from CT, my hubby was trying to figure out why we didn't see any Subarus.

I wonder what's up with that?

I did find a nice looking 2008 with 139K on it for 7900. Might be worth looking into.

• Like 1

So you know what's crazy? There are almost NO outbacks listed for sale here in AL! I remember when we moved here from CT, my hubby was trying to figure out why we didn't see any Subarus.

I wonder what's up with that?

I did find a nice looking 2008 with 139K on it for 7900. Might be worth looking into.

My guess would be that hardly anyone sells their Outbacks.  They're awesome, and they run forever!  (Mine has over 225,000 miles, and is still going strong.  It's a '97)

You might have to go through CarMax or similar service to find a used Outback.

Edited by Suzanne in ABQ
  • Like 2

I had a 2013 Outback and now have a 2015. I looked at both the Toyota Rav4 and Honda CRV and the Outback was wider in the back. 

The back seat would fit 3 teen girls just fine.  The back area holds quite a bit of cargo so their ballet bags won't be a problem. 

The 15 is probably more than you want to spend, but it has some really nice upgrades that made the switch worth it for me.  It has heated back seats (lovely with leather upholstery), great Bluetooth (the 2013's Bluetooth was a bit wiggy for me), and a power back hatch (first model to have this).

Both cars get about 22 in the city.  The best mileage I got was 33, and I was driving on a coastal road for hours, so very little up and down hills.  

The resell value is very high, because they are solidly built cars.

They both have great ground clearance, while still being car sized and not so tall that you need a ladder to put something in the cargo carrier. 

AWD is great for snow and also just getting around town. 

Just as a side note....Outbacks are wide and mid-height vs Foresters which are narrow and tall.

My guess would be that hardly anyone sells their Outbacks.  They're awesome, and the run forever!  (Mine has over 225,000 miles, and is still going strong.  It's a '97)

You might have to go through CarMax or similar service to find a used Outback.

Maybe - but we noticed we don't even see them on the roads down here very much! Strange.

How expensive are they to fix when something does break?

We've some friends who just moved to a rural snowy area where  everyone has trucks and/or subaru's.  we bought their camry really cheap (heck of a deal for us) because she was getting a subaru.

different areas have different performance needs and preferences for drivers.  service availability varies as well as what people can afford for a car.

• Like 1