Menu

Whole 30 - Week 3

Pink and Green Mom

I also started today, and DH got really sick and was hospitalized today.  I have meals planned out and stuff made in advance, but if I don't succumb to a stress induced milkshake from the hospital cafe (which are FABULOUS) it will be a miracle.  I did make it through Day 1 though.

• Like 3

I woke up starving this morning and wanted some of my kids' cinnamon toast crunch ssooooi bad. But I went with a pile of bacon and eggs and a few strawberries. I am full and the craving has passed (mostly).

DH is now in icu and honestly, whole30 is not really important to me at this point, but focusing on it is a welcome distraction. Sorry to talk about it in this thread, for some reason this feels better than putting my whole business in a new thread on the main board.

Edited by JodiSue
  • Like 2

I woke up starving this morning and wanted some of my kids' cinnamon toast crunch ssooooi bad. But I went with a pile of bacon and eggs and a few strawberries. I am full and the craving has passed (mostly).

DH is now in icu and honestly, whole30 is not really important to me at this point, but focusing on it is a welcome distraction. Sorry to talk about it in this thread, for some reason this feels better than putting my whole business in a new thread on the main board.

I'm sorry your husband is in ICU.  That's a lot for you to handle right now.   

Take care of yourself.  

• Like 2

Totally understandable! Have you done one before? Just because if it is your first time, they can be emotionally challenging and it seems you have a lot of your plate. I can see where it would be a good distraction, but just want you to be gentle with yourself because you have a very full emotional plate right now.  :grouphug:

• Like 2

Day 16 for me. I have a full day after lunch that has me out of the house until the evening. I have packed dinner and a snack, so I should be good to go.

Breakfast: Last of the tuna cakes, peppers and mango w/ toasted coconut

Lunch: LO chili from last night

Dinner: Chicken salad with buffalo dressing 

Snack: Wholly Guacamole w/ carrots and cukes. I will also have a Larabar if I necessary.

Argg, I am a bit frustrated as it seems my skin is aggravated again. Sigh. I really thought the dark circles under my eyes would lighten, but no such luck on that. I felt really tired this morning, but maybe that's because it is insanely cold here and nobody wants to bounce out of bed when it feels like 1* outside. Brr.

• Like 2

Day 16 here too.

B:  prosciutto (2 slices) and some mixed berries with cashews.  I could not stomach the thought of vegetables.

L:  cream of cauliflower soup and an Aidelle chicken and apple sausage (bought two packs of these but I don't like them - they taste too sweet)

D:  Kalua pork and vegetables (I got some Tessemae BBQ sauce that I may try out)

I love how I feel so energetic when I get out of bed.  Applegreen, the first thing I do in the AM is look to see if my dark circles are lighter.  Nope.  Not even close.  :glare:

• Like 2

Day 16 here too.

B:  prosciutto (2 slices) and some mixed berries with cashews.  I could not stomach the thought of vegetables.

L:  cream of cauliflower soup and an Aidelle chicken and apple sausage (bought two packs of these but I don't like them - they taste too sweet)

D:  Kalua pork and vegetables (I got some Tessemae BBQ sauce that I may try out)

I love how I feel so energetic when I get out of bed.  Applegreen, the first thing I do in the AM is look to see if my dark circles are lighter.  Nope.  Not even close.  :glare:

Not that I liked this part of your post, but more a show of solidarity. I am with ya.

I had an apple yesterday, it was so sweet I could not finish eating the slices and gave them to my kiddos. It was crazy how sweet that apple was. 

• Like 2

Not that I liked this part of your post, but more a show of solidarity. I am with ya.

I had an apple yesterday, it was so sweet I could not finish eating the slices and gave them to my kiddos. It was crazy how sweet that apple was. 

Yes!  And how *good* food tastes!  I'm eating a salad with grilled chicken and avocado right now.  The dressing is just balsamic vinegar and olive oil - and yet, it's so good.  

I did ten days, then had two days off, and started again at Day 1.  I've barely had a blip.  I love that my energy levels are still high and that I'm still not craving sugar - which, for me, is a miracle.  

I found a box of my favourite chocolates in my desk yesterday.  There were a lot of chocolates kicking around at Christmas and I must have put a box in my desk for later.  I'm not even tempted to open them.  Dh offered to take them away, but I kind of like having them in there. What I really love is that it has nothing to do with willpower (because I don't have any), I truly am not tempted by the chocolate.

• Like 3

Day 17 here.  We are freezing in Florida (translation:  it is in the mid-40s).  17 days is the longest I have gone as an adult without going out to eat.  I am sick of cooking.  I am sick of dirty dishes, pots, pans, spiralizers, food processors, etc. etc.  I just want to go to a restaurant but I am paranoid some stray grain of sugar or splash of butter will get into my food.  Yeah, I know that is crossing the line into Crazytown but it is what it is.

No idea what I am eating today.  I have plenty of stuff prepared, but none of it is appealing.

Thank you for letting me vent.  :nopity:

• Like 2

Day 17 here.  We are freezing in Florida (translation:  it is in the mid-40s).  17 days is the longest I have gone as an adult without going out to eat.  I am sick of cooking.  I am sick of dirty dishes, pots, pans, spiralizers, food processors, etc. etc.  I just want to go to a restaurant but I am paranoid some stray grain of sugar or splash of butter will get into my food.  Yeah, I know that is crossing the line into Crazytown but it is what it is.

No idea what I am eating today.  I have plenty of stuff prepared, but none of it is appealing.

Thank you for letting me vent.  :nopity:

Yup. I remember the last go 'round not eating out for 30 straight days and realizing that was the longest I had gone without eating out. That's kind of crazy to me!

It is soooo much cooking. Always cooking, cleaning and being prepared. It's like Mad Eye Moody, "Constant vigilance!" I just get tired of the need to consume food, even good food. 

It is snowing here and while we are not expecting much today, Friday we may have some decent accumulation. All I want is to sit with a good book and lovely cup of coffee (and maybe a chocolate chip cookie), but I will be sipping hot tea and munching cruditĂƒÂ©s. I guess I need a "suck it up buttercup" talk. It's the day 17 woes.

I think Chipotle's pork carnitas are compliant, if you have one near you. 

• Like 2

Day 18.  I woke up with all sorts of grand plans for today and then was faced with my increasingly surly teenager and that was just a mood killer. 

B:  scrambled eggs, sautĂƒÂ©ed spinach and mushrooms

L:  cauliflower soup with Aidelle Sausage

D:  tarragon chicken with salad

Does anyone have a compliant guacamole recipe?  I have tried twice and neither one was very good.

• Like 1

Day 18.  I woke up with all sorts of grand plans for today and then was faced with my increasingly surly teenager and that was just a mood killer. 

Does anyone have a compliant guacamole recipe?  I have tried twice and neither one was very good.

Do you have a Costco?  There's a guac there, called Wholly Guacamole.  It's really good and it's compliant.

• Like 2

I make a guacamole that is almost exactly like this one:  Simply Recipes Guac

Most people in the comments think her red onion quantity is totally off- she must have been using a pretty small red onion if she put the whole thing in!  So, adjust to taste.  I happen to love red onion and place a whole (small) one in my guac.  If tomatoes don't look good right now, they are totally optional.  And if you can't get serranos, a jalapeĂƒÂ±o will do fine.  

The real key is the lime juice and salt though.  

• Like 2

Day 21 here. Hard to believe I'm 2/3 of the way there. As mentioned above, I'm a little tired of cooking. We very rarely go out so that's not a big deal but I miss the ease of a sandwich or bowl of cereal.

I'm starting to think ahead to the re-introduction phase. I want to do that right this time. I'm guessing it'll take the better part of February to get through that.

On the positive side, my clothes are fitting better, my mind is clear, I'm enjoying the food I make, and I'm eating tons of vegetables. I'm feeling so good that I'm considering keeping my diet primarily Whole30 for the long term with just one or two "cheat meals" a week. Of course, that brings me back to the whole "I'm tired of cooking" thing...

Nine days to go...time to figure out what to eat for lunch...

• Like 2

The good news is that, even with my business travel all week, everything I've eaten has been completely compliant.

The bad news?  3 days, 4 glasses of wine.   Ugh.

So I'm not starting over, even though we're supposed to.  I'll just continue with the plan.  No more alcohol after this trip, and continue with the eating through February, with the exception of the meal I have planned on 2/5.

The moral of the story is that work is bad for my health, one way or another!

• Like 3

We went out last night to celebrate my son's acceptance into his first choice of high school.  We went to a restaurant that had all you can eat crab legs.  I had those.  I dipped one piece in the "butter" then realized it wasn't butter so after that I just stuck to crab legs.  It was the first time in a long time that I was able to sleep well after eating out.  And I don't feel gross and disgusting this morning either.

No idea what I am eating today.  I am not hungry.  We are going on a morning field trip with our co-op and then I plan on cuddling under a blanket and reading all weekend.

Edited by Pink and Green Mom
  • Like 2

Love this thread!

As a family, we're doing a (slightly modified) Whole 30 starting next week. I feel a little like an addict who has agreed to rehab: anxious, hopeful, scared, and kind of wanting one last binge.

Our primary reasons are to do a reset on the holiday sugar (who am I kidding--it's not just a holiday thing), improve energy levels and some minor bloating and skin issues for the adults, and maybe alleviate symptoms of food allergies for one son. He's had allergy testing numerous times and I just don't trust the results anymore.

We've been putting it off because of a death in the family, unexpected travel, and just plain not being ready with meal planning and grocery shopping. So today I'm getting my recipes together and this weekend I'll shop.

One of the concerns the boys have is what we're going to have for Super Bowl snacks. We usually host a small party and put out the standard crappy fare. Any suggestions for compliant party food that goes beyond the standard veggie platter?

• Like 3

Super Bowl is my big issue.  We usually have a big party, but a friend wanted to host this year.

I plan on making some guacamole stuffed mushrooms (I cannot find the recipe this minute but can post if you'd like) and compliant wings (Tessamae brand buffalo sauce is amazing - you can get it at Whole Foods and I think some Targets).  Also you can make a big Kalua pork (recipe on NomNomPaleo) and serve different BBQ sauces on the side (again, Tessamae has a compliant BBQ sauce - I thought it a little too sweet).  You could even have a taco bar - brown a bunch of ground beef and make your own taco powder and then have all the fixings to add and either lettuce leaves to wrap them in or chips for those not doing Whole 30.  There are some compliant Aidelle sausages as well that you could grill up either for sandwiches or sliced as an appetizer.  For dips, guacamole and baba ghanoush (or however it is spelled).  I will use cut up vegetables as the "chips".

Not that I have put hours into thinking this or anything :lol:

• Like 3

Excellent thoughts, Pink and Green!

I need to wrap my head around the lack of convenience and, likely, the increased cost of food over the next month.

Pizza and pretzel sticks were easy and cheap for a little party. But, wow, BBQ chicken wings? The boys will looooove that! Thanks for the ideas!

• Like 1

Excellent thoughts, Pink and Green!

I need to wrap my head around the lack of convenience and, likely, the increased cost of food over the next month.

Pizza and pretzel sticks were easy and cheap for a little party. But, wow, BBQ chicken wings? The boys will looooove that! Thanks for the ideas!

Here is a link to Whole30 compliant Super Bowl snacks:

http://nomnompaleo.com/post/108981478523/whole30-day-24-paleo-super-bowl-snacks

I made her magic mushroom chicken wings, which didn't seem like much, but my kiddos devoured them. My husband added some sriracha to his or maybe some Frank's and declared them awesome. Frank's is compliant, as is ghee, so you could make an awesome wing. Some one mentioned last week a coconut and Frank's combo, but I wasn't a huge fan.

The key to a Whole30 is PREPARE, PREPARE, PREPARE! Food will be more expensive over the next month b/c tossing a pizza in the oven will not be a dinner option. Do not underestimate the amount of preparation you will have to do. There will be times you will be hungry and just want something easy. Not having food at the ready to heat up (ie leftovers) or something super fast (Aidell's and eggs) is setting yourself up for failure, IMO. If you have a Trader Joe's near you, boneless, skinless dark chicken thighs are extremely versatile and quite affordable. We have had them a number of ways, delicious every time.  

Last year my Whole30 fell over Valentine's Day. So much of our eating is mental. There will be another Super Bowl. You can have a delicious, satisfying day, it will just look different in years past. Mentally prepare yourself and your family for that. Talk about how much of the tradition of the event is centered around the food. It is ok that that is the case. I don't think anyone needs to feel guilty over traditions and the foods we celebrate them with. This year your family has made a conscious effort to make some changes that happen to fall on a day that your family has special traditions centered around, so it may have different, but no less special fun to it.   

• Like 3

Day 19. Snowing and sledding in the future. All I want is a proper cup of coffee. Sigh. I made soaked almonds last night so I could have a passable cup. So much of eating is mental; that is my mantra for the day. 

Breakfast: Getting ready to make eggs, veggies and Aidell's

Lunch: Ack! I hope I have some LOs, otherwise a turkey burger and hmm ;et me think, maybe a salad?  :huh:

Dinner: Flank steak w/ cherry-balsamic sauce, roasted red potatoes and kale salad (is it dinner yet??) :drool5:

Now, I better go feed myself before I make a bad decision. I am way out of the breakfast within an hour of waking b/c I wanted to get a solid walk in just in case it snows most of the day as predicted. 

• Like 2

Feeling pretty good here.

Really sick of meat and finding myself making larger veggie portions and smaller meat portions. This happens every time.

My energy levels are so high. I forgot how good it feels to not have a slump in the middle of the day. This alone will hopefully be enough to keep me eating well after the month is up.

I realize that the reason I am so successful with W30 is the strict rules. I have yet to figure out how to carry this over into my life once the loud voice in my head stops telling me, "NOT COMPLIANT." I have tried doing W30 during the week and then eating as I like during the weekends, but the weekends end up getting longer and longer.

My dh was weighed at the doctor's office this week. He has lost ten pounds and we still have twelve days to go.

• Like 2

Day 20.  I can feel such a difference in my clothes.  The stomach bloat is gone.  The principal at my son's school told me I looked "very well rested" the other day. 

I need to go to the grocery store.  I have been trying at least one new vegetable per week.  I am off to try parsnips (whatever those are, LOL) next.  I also have a spaghetti squash but I am afraid to cook it and eat it. 

I agree with you Minerva about the strict rules.  I really need them.  One "treat meal" or "treat day" turns into two, then three, and so on.  I have never had this much willpower. 

B:  Egg, Leek, mushroom, spinach and bacon omelette

L:  buffalo chicken tenderloins plus cut up vegetable

D:  taco meat and vegetables?  spaghetti squash and meatballs?  (depends on how much I get done today).

• Like 2

My life has just improved immeasurably. Dh found a compliant cashew milk, and while it's not half and half it definitely is making my coffee creamier. I'm thoroughly enjoying it.

Brand, please?

I'm inching toward a Whole 30 by trying to identify compliant recipes, etc. Solving the coffee issue would help.

• Like 2

Yesterday I was tired again and the cravings were back. Not what I expected on Day 22. My main theory as to why is pms, although I think it might be a couple days early for that. I was also thinking boredom could have been responsible for the cravings and not drinking enough water the past few days could have contributed to the tiredness. The thought crossed my mind that the return of these week one symptoms could mean I need to extend my Whole30 past 30 days. So far today I feel better and I'm going to try to drink more water and see if that helps.

• Like 2

Feeling pretty good here.

Really sick of meat and finding myself making larger veggie portions and smaller meat portions. This happens every time.

My energy levels are so high. I forgot how good it feels to not have a slump in the middle of the day. This alone will hopefully be enough to keep me eating well after the month is up.

I realize that the reason I am so successful with W30 is the strict rules. I have yet to figure out how to carry this over into my life once the loud voice in my head stops telling me, "NOT COMPLIANT." I have tried doing W30 during the week and then eating as I like during the weekends, but the weekends end up getting longer and longer.

My dh was weighed at the doctor's office this week. He has lost ten pounds and we still have twelve days to go.

We eat whole30 compliant dinners every other night, we really can't afford it everyday. Our snacks are compliant. That makes a huge difference. I can't just reach for the oreos because we don't have them. We have apple chips with no sugar added, Greek salad, and roasted sweet potatoe squares with seasoning.
  • Like 2

Day 20, which means 2/3 of the way through this bad boy!

I have held strong despite my very string desire for a proper cup of coffee in the midst of this snow (which has been a moderate+ storm for us, I would say). I walked up to the store today to see if they had any Silk Cashew milk, b/c I read that it was compliant. Unfortunately, they were out of the unsweetened variety; I guess all of the other Whole30ers in town were on it and stocked up.  :laugh: I will make do with the shabby and far less superior almond milk, if I decide to have coffee today.

Breakfast: eggs, Aidell's, veggies...rinse, wash, repeat

Lunch: Veggies, protein-you know the drill

Dinner: Chicken carbonara, salad

• Like 2

Brand, please?

I'm inching toward a Whole 30 by trying to identify compliant recipes, etc. Solving the coffee issue would help.

Based on what I found online, it looks like Silk Unsweetened Cashew milk may be compliant. I have not actually looked at the side of the carton to confirm.

I will say, even on this second round, I have not solved the coffee thing. Nothing is as tasty as half and half to me. It just ins't. I missed it terribly the first time I did one, but it has not been too bad this second time (except in the middle of a winter storm when coffee would be sublime!).

• Like 3

Seriously, this thing is EXPENSIVE! The last whole 30 was just me. But now my whole family wanted to get onboard, great except for the money suck on the checking account.

What your tips for low cost compliant meals?

My only tip (not a great one) is to eat more veggies and less meat. Where I live, veggies are not that expensive, but meat is, so heap the plate with the greens and add a little protein. 

One good thing for us is that Dairy is expensive where we live, and we usually eat a lot of it, so this helps balance things out a bit. 

My dh reminds me that being healthy is much less expensive in the long run. 

We eat whole30 compliant dinners every other night, we really can't afford it everyday. Our snacks are compliant. That makes a huge difference. I can't just reach for the oreos because we don't have them. We have apple chips with no sugar added, Greek salad, and roasted sweet potatoe squares with seasoning.

I like the every-other-day idea but still worry that it isn't strict enough for me. Last time we did the W30 we decided to only be non complaint during the weekends.  It lasted for about a month, but once I start buying cheese, popcorn, and wine, it was a slippery slope to everyday consumption.  I need to ruled with an (inner) iron fist. 

I am going to try not to buy any cheese, popcorn or corn tortillas in the future (my three biggest weaknesses) and keep my wine drinking to the weekends. My dh wont give up his evening beers so easily. 

Edited by Minerva
  • Like 2

I like the every-other-day idea but still worry that it isn't strict enough for me. Last time we did the W30 we decided to only be non complaint during the weekends.  It lasted for about a month, but once I start buying cheese, popcorn, and wine, it was a slippery slope to everyday consumption.  I need to ruled with an (inner) iron fist. 

I am going to try not to buy any cheese, popcorn or corn tortillas in the future (my two biggest weaknesses) and keep my wine drinking to the weekends. My dh wont give up his evening beers so easily. 

I hear you on this.  I am thinking about continuing Whole30 as sort of a whole new way of life (no more processed foods in general, no grains, dairy, added sugars), but deviating only on "Special Occasions."  But I think I will have to remind myself that "hey!  I made it through the day without wanting to strangle my teenager" and "hey!  It's Friday and our friends want to get together for drinks as we do every Friday!" and "meh, I don't feel like cooking so let's just get takeout from Chilis" are not a Special Occasions.  And therein lies the problem for me.  I very much slide down the slippery slope with little prompting.

• Like 2

In spite of my wine blunders last week, I have not wavered on food compliance, which is a huge win for me.  Normally if I feel I've "failed" at something, I'd end up head first in a bag of cheetoes.  Not this time. I feel very accomplished because of that.

I saw my sisters yesterday for the first time since Christmas.  Both first commented that I look considerably thiner in my face, and then later that my stomach is nearly flat (comparatively speaking).  I have not lost a clothing size, but I do agree on both counts.  

So I've decided that, like some others, I am going to continue eating pretty much like this, except on actual special occasions (just have to define what that means).  The changes I'll be making will be because I do want to lose a good amount of weight, so i'm going to try to add in some body-weight strength training, 4 - 5 times a week, and then cutting back some on calories by focusing on leaner proteins and smaller portions.  We'll see what happens.  

• Like 2

I want to do a Whole 30 terribly, but with the way my year has started, I just cant foresee it happening just yet. The problem is, because of several stressful situations, I think I have eaten WORSE than I normally do. :(

I'm just gonna follow along and get inspired.

It's nearing the end of the day--our first day doing Whole 30 (ish)--and I have not eaten any added sugar. None. I'm stunned at how hard that was. I have a Seely's mint patty in my nightstand and, I'm telling you, it was yelling at me today. "Come on. Just eat it. You've been so good all day. Nobody needs to know. It's not like you're never going to eat sugar again. Just moderate!" I resisted. I'm mentally exhausted fighting that stupid battle, but it did reinforce the need for the cleanse.

I'm further exhausted at meal planning and prepping. Preparing eggs and smoothies for breakfast for the boys used to be a once- or twice-a week thing with the other days being pour-yourself-some-cereal days. Again, it's been just one day but I'm already tired thinking about doing it again tomorrow. And the next day. And so on.

All that whining aside, I can say Day One is in the books!

Day 25 done. I can't believe I'm almost done! I'm feeling good but still having some cravings. I think the cravings are due to wanting to eat something easy more than anything else. Sometimes I really just don't want to have to think about what I'm eating or take the time to cook anything!

I should pull my book out and start reading the re-introduction information.

• Like 1