Menu

Real Estate Agent

DawnM

Ok, please help me get this.

We have had a couple of agents, both we dropped because we decided we just weren't ready to move.

We are now projecting/anticipating a date of April  to put the house on the market.   We hope, hope, hope that we can sell and move before August.  

We have an agent.  She has been helping us find people to come work on the house, etc.....which has been great.  So far we have been pleased with the work done.

However, I have asked her twice to start sending listings for the area we want to move to.   All she has to do is put a line around a map and push the "send updates" button and I will get listings as they come up.  She hasn't done it.

I will send her another email but at what point do I say this isn't working for us, or am I expecting too much?  

It isn't so much about finding a house......I can go to Realtor.com and look at the map and see some listings, but it is about her responding to us.

Should I be concerned that she won't follow through on other things?  She comes recommended by two friends, so it isn't like I picked her out of the blue.

This is becoming more common. RE agents are using technology to save time. What are you wanting, specifically? Are you wanting her to screen the listings before they come to you? You shouldn't give up on her. I think it is fair that you communicate to her your specific wants and needs. That's fair to both you and to her. If she ignores your requests, then you might want to move on.

Your realtor most likely has other clients who are on a tighter timeline than you are right now, and she needs to spend her limited time with them.  I think they work in a triage fashion to some extent.  If she has been good with helping you find people to work on your current house (your immediate need) then I think that shows she will be responsive when buying and selling are your immediate needs.

• Like 2

Your current timeline is pretty long. Our agent (using as a buyers agent) really started working hard for us when our old house contract went through inspection and appraisal. We are two weeks from closing and she is in contact frequently, as opposed to when our house was on the market.

Now if only houses would go up for sale. Our market is super low on inventory.

• Like 1

Your current timeline is pretty long. Our agent (using as a buyers agent) really started working hard for us when our old house contract went through inspection and appraisal. We are two weeks from closing and she is in contact frequently, as opposed to when our house was on the market.

Now if only houses would go up for sale. Our market is super low on inventory.

I can't wait that long, we need a house to buy and move in to!  If we wait for that, we will be up a creek!

Edited by DawnM

I understand she has other clients.  I just need her to start sending me listings specific to my needs so I can get a visual of what we might get for our $$.  All she has to do is pull up her map, draw lines around the area we want, put in our parameters (4 bedroom min, price point, etc...) and she can walk away......it will automatically alert me of listings that meet our criteria.

Dawn

In our market, no one will accept a contingency offer, so looking at listings was just depressing. Still is a little, as we have already lost out on a couple of houses (cash offers...we can't compete with that).

Living with dmil is at least going well :)

Yeah, we don't have anywhere to go other than a month to month rental.  I am hoping to avoid that, but it may not be possible.

This is becoming more common. RE agents are using technology to save time. What are you wanting, specifically? Are you wanting her to screen the listings before they come to you? You shouldn't give up on her. I think it is fair that you communicate to her your specific wants and needs. That's fair to both you and to her. If she ignores your requests, then you might want to move on.

Just want her to start sending me listings.....it is all automatic once she fills out the stuff.

I understand she has other clients.  I just need her to start sending me listings specific to my needs so I can get a visual of what we might get for our $$.  All she has to do is pull up her map, draw lines around the area we want, put in our parameters (4 bedroom min, price point, etc...) and she can walk away......it will automatically alert me of listings that meet our criteria.

Dawn

She can't read minds--if what she is sending doesn't suit you, please let her know.

On the other hand, what you may be seeing is there aren't listings available that will fit your needs in that area or your price range. Sometimes I have to show and tell buyer clients that what they are looking for doesn't exist--in that area or price range.  It's up to them to decide where and how to modify their wishes.

It's really tough to go out showing with a buyer client who has not even put their home on the market.

For what it's worth, this is the busiest January I've ever had.

• Like 1

She can't read minds--if what she is sending doesn't suit you, please let her know.

On the other hand, what you may be seeing is there aren't listings available that will fit your needs in that area or your price range. Sometimes I have to show and tell buyer clients that what they are looking for doesn't exist--in that area or price range.  It's up to them to decide where and how to modify their wishes.

It's really tough to go out showing with a buyer client who has not even put their home on the market.

For what it's worth, this is the busiest January I've ever had.

She has sent me NOTHING.

I don't want to see showings, I want her to start sending me listings and as for the reading minds comment.....I have sent her my criteria, TWICE.  And I can see quite plainly that there are many listings that meet my criteria on Realtor.com.

As I have stated......I just want her to put my info into a computer and that computer generates emails automatically and sends me any listings available and/or new listings.  I have done it before with another realtor.  It takes about 10 min. and voila, you can have the COMPUTER send any and all listings.  And it sends them automatically.

Edited by DawnM

She has sent me NOTHING.

I don't want to see showings, I want her to start sending me listings and as for the reading minds comment.....I have sent her my criteria, TWICE.  And I can see quite plainly that there are many listings that meet my criteria on Realtor.com.

As I have stated......I just want her to put my info into a computer and that computer generates emails automatically and sends me any listings available and/or new listings.  I have done it before with another realtor.  It takes about 10 min. and voila, you can have the COMPUTER send any and all listings.  And it sends them automatically.

At that point, I think I'd ask her straight up why she isn't honoring your request. Tell her you need this information and that it's important to you. That way, if there IS a problem (though I can't see why there would be), she has an opportunity to explain it. If not, it puts her on notice that she's not handling things in a satisfactory way. Good luck with the move.

Edited by Reluctant Homeschooler
  • Like 2

Dawn

I would look at it this way. . . if she's super busy with clients who have an immediate need, why can't she just send you a quick email explaining that she'll get back to you in such-and-such time frame?

I think putting up with people who can't be bothered to communicate because they're so busy is not a great idea.

Your gut is likely trying to tell you something.

Alley

Right. Putting your info. into a computer that sends you listings is a no-brainer. She's not taking care of her client.

Alley

Some realtors just blow people off if they think they are high maintenance or if they know they messed up and kind of get embarrassed.  If I were you I'd call one more time, and be fairly complimentary, say you've really enjoyed her work with you so far, and that you like her a lot, and then ask for this once more.  If you don't get it in two days, either she is really slow or she is not interested in working with you--something which she may not be able to bring herself to say.  Either way you probably need to consider finding someone else.

• Like 1

She has sent me NOTHING.

Sending you no listings is something entirely different...I read too fast.

Double check that your email in the auto system is correct, then ask her what's up...plain, direct, and to the point communication ought to work. If it doesn't, move along to someone else.

Unless you have a buyer's agency agreement,  her contract is really just to list your house.  She'll get paid when your house sells.  Finding you a new house, unless it is one of her listing means only a cut of another agent's commission- much less money.  I would probably just find an agent who is willing to show me houses and let your listing agent handle the listing.  I would probably let her know in writing that if another agent finds you a house to buy you will not agree to her receiving a cooperating agent's commission.  Otherwise, the minute you buy a house, she may try to claim through the Realtor organization that she is "your" agent and entitled to a cut.

If you do find another agent to look for houses for you, talk to them about the issue and how they plan to handle it. Even with a different agent, unless you have a specific agreement they are really just working for the cut of the commission the listing agent pays and they 'work' for the seller.  

Your state may have a mandatory disclosure law regarding these types of agencies, check your listing agreement and accompanying documents.  If you are just dying to know more on the topic, I can send you something- I just wrote about it for a presentation.

• Like 1

Thanks guys.  I will email her one more time and see if we can get this ball rolling.

I just realized that mid April is really only 12-13 weeks away.  I have so much to do.  

if it were me, I'd call her instead of email. I would speak directly to her instead of leaving a voicemail so you can stress to her how much this means to you and she will be able to hear it in your voice.

Good luck.  Buying and selling is hard.  It is very, very stressful.  :grouphug:

Unless you have a buyer's agency agreement,  her contract is really just to list your house.  She'll get paid when your house sells.  Finding you a new house, unless it is one of her listing means only a cut of another agent's commission- much less money.

This varies from place to place.

Out here agents absolutely adore having a both ways type of sale--buying and selling at the same time.

There are agents who specialize in one or the other, but they invariably IME then team up with someone who does the other side.

This is, I understand, because finding someone who is ready to act is so time consuming; so getting several transactions with that same person is a very lucrative thing to do in terms of time investment vs. return.

This varies from place to place.

Out here agents absolutely adore having a both ways type of sale--buying and selling at the same time.

There are agents who specialize in one or the other, but they invariably IME then team up with someone who does the other side.

This is, I understand, because finding someone who is ready to act is so time consuming; so getting several transactions with that same person is a very lucrative thing to do in terms of time investment vs. return.

Yes, she has agreed a both ways deal for a discount.  She makes 1.5% on each sale/buy, so she will make more by doing both and share the discount with us.

• Like 1

Unless you have a buyer's agency agreement,  her contract is really just to list your house.  She'll get paid when your house sells.  Finding you a new house, unless it is one of her listing means only a cut of another agent's commission- much less money.  I would probably just find an agent who is willing to show me houses and let your listing agent handle the listing.  I would probably let her know in writing that if another agent finds you a house to buy you will not agree to her receiving a cooperating agent's commission.  Otherwise, the minute you buy a house, she may try to claim through the Realtor organization that she is "your" agent and entitled to a cut.

If you do find another agent to look for houses for you, talk to them about the issue and how they plan to handle it. Even with a different agent, unless you have a specific agreement they are really just working for the cut of the commission the listing agent pays and they 'work' for the seller.  

Your state may have a mandatory disclosure law regarding these types of agencies, check your listing agreement and accompanying documents.  If you are just dying to know more on the topic, I can send you something- I just wrote about it for a presentation.

Huh.  I have always been told around here (and in CA) that realtors get 1.5% of each sale or buy.

6% is split:

1.5% to listing and buying agencies

1.5% to each realtor

I have actually never heard of anything different.

• Like 1

Dawn

I did that part myself. (Redfin.com?) Even when I started getting listings from the agent -- they were not as useful as what I could find myself.

• Like 3

I did that part myself. (Redfin.com?) Even when I started getting listings from the agent -- they were not as useful as what I could find myself.

Ok, I went to the site.  I don't see where I can put in lines for a map.

I LITERALLY need a very defined area so that my special needs son can walk to the bus.  I need to be within 1/2 a mile from the street with the bus stops.  

We have never needed to be this precise before, but we do now.

Ok, I went to the site.  I don't see where I can put in lines for a map.

I LITERALLY need a very defined area so that my special needs son can walk to the bus.  I need to be within 1/2 a mile from the street with the bus stops.  

We have never needed to be this precise before, but we do now.

You cannot put in lines. (I'm not sure the agent can either though? AT least, mine tended to do it by search categories) What you CAN do is zoom in and out on a location and see what houses are available in locations that work for you. I wanted houses in a particular city BUT not in certain neighborhoods. So I just avoided those neighborhoods when looking. If I opened a house and turned out to be in a neighborhood I did not want, I crossed it off the list and kept looking.

You cannot put in lines. (I'm not sure the agent can either though? AT least, mine tended to do it by search categories) What you CAN do is zoom in and out on a location and see what houses are available in locations that work for you. I wanted houses in a particular city BUT not in certain neighborhoods. So I just avoided those neighborhoods when looking. If I opened a house and turned out to be in a neighborhood I did not want, I crossed it off the list and kept looking.

I am having to look up each house and then try to figure out how far it is away from the bus stop.

The realtor told me she COULD put in lines on her map.  That is what I am waiting for.

FWIW I had a fabulous realtor. 

She did put lines on her map, and I received daily listings from that area.

You shouldn't have to beg. It's quick and easy to do, and a standard part of being a realtor.

I found it much easier to work with a good realtor than to try to figure this stuff out on my own. If your realtor doesn't respond to such a simple, standard request within a day, ditch her and get a new one. Don't look back.

• Like 1