Menu

PSA: Landry 2016/17 Registration Opens Today

I enrolled T in her classes for next year and got all of the sections I wanted. Only Latin III is TBA without a teacher listed yet so our schedule is pretty set. The only big, last minute change was enrolling in A&P instead of Physics. I had forgotten it existed as an option and T was much more enthusiastic about the topic.

Yippee!!!

I want to hold off until another online class/academy opens up so I don't double-book for times. How quickly do they fill up?

(ETA: I'm looking at Chemistry specifically.) I'd rather not pay a $25 change fee if I need a different time than I originally thought. I should know within three weeks what the other online classtime will be.

Edited by RootAnn

I want to hold off until another online class/academy opens up so I don't double-book for times. How quickly do they fill up?

(ETA: I'm looking at Chemistry specifically.) I'd rather not pay a $25 change fee if I need a different time than I originally thought. I should know within three weeks what the other online classtime will be.

I bought those cheap generic classes last year and can't remember how to apply them, LOL, but I'm also waiting for other places like Lukeion and WTMA to post their schedules. So I was wrong, some vendors actually are ready for registration 2 weeks after New Years. That's crazy.

When you check out, you just hit the "apply generic semester" button ... or so they say. I haven't made it that far!

:toetap05:  Post your schedules, people!  If Landry wasn't so darned early with theirs, I wouldn't worry. But, they are. Yeesh. Just wish I knew how fast they normally fill up.

• Like 1

Last year, there were still some openings in some sections of Chemistry into the summer. But, some sections fill fast. I think the ones that fill probably conflict with other Landry classes.

T had to take Latin 1 asynchronously and it was fine. Chemistry would be fine to take asynchronously as long as you could attend the office hours.

• Like 2

I know it does make it hard to figure out a schedule!  I am waiting for WH to post theirs as well, but decided on registering for Latin since there is only one Latin 2 class right now and I want to make sure he gets in. 

In an email response to me today, WHA said their fall schedule should be posted in a week or so (give or take). I'm hoping for sooner rather than later. They have a prospective student open house on Thursday, but it is literally at the same time as one of my kid's birthday parties. Grr!

Trinqueta has had Diana Lamolinara for Spanish 2 and 3. She's a native speaker and a good teacher.

For Spanish 3, what is the average time spent per day outside of class? It looks like the textbook and workbook are relatively cheap, cheaper than what other vendors use. I'm hoping that a class will move DD forward with grammar since pure conversation alone doesn't seem enough. 

Please tell me there is no need for an online subscription to something or a required online textbook that will cost us extra $$. 

I'm also interested in French 3 (cheap textbook and workbook!), so here's hoping that the workload is manageable. 

In an email response to me today, WHA said their fall schedule should be posted in a week or so (give or take). I'm hoping for sooner rather than later. They have a prospective student open house on Thursday, but it is literally at the same time as one of my kid's birthday parties. Grr!

But there is also WTMA which may not have a schedule until February. Yet, there are classes at Landry that say Almost Full. Yikes!

Life should not be so stressful for homeschoolers. 

• Like 1

My son is hoping to do a foreign language with Landry in the fall, but he's taking the language overview class now....which means he won't decide WHICH language until after this semester ends....and I hope we get the one he wants in a time we can manage.  Way too many classes are 9am EST and being on the west coast we can't commit to 6am.  We barely make the 8am start times for us now LOL.  I did see some of the foreign language classes with evening start times and my boy is very excited and hopes the one he decides has that option.  I keep telling DD 'no' to the art class that would be 6am our time.  She has had tech issues every week with her class so far(our computer issues).  I can't even think about 6am and trying to solve computer issues lol.  So my only wish is they had more mid day times so the west coast families can sleep in a bit ;-)

However, I am really liking Dd's ASL Teacher Mr Dally.  I do wish there had been more info about homework since the class is geared for 7-12th grade.  It's truly a high school level....lots of homework and the first test killed my girl.  She finally learned how to study for it and did well on the last one.  I misunderstood directions on one thing and she got a D.  So I am making her email the guy with questions every time she has a question...I don't want to screw it up again!  She loves the class so much she already signed up for year 2 with him.  

We just started a math review class with Mrs Marks.  I like how she emails lots of info to me, the parent.  And the language class(trip around the world) lady just set up a parent page to see a list of assignments.  I was already looking at the student page, but I like her idea.  I did notice that ALL our classes have more 'discussion' assignments this semester to get to know each other which I honestly find a waste of time. You can tell the boys don't like it....short responses vs the girls with long paragraphs LOL.  

We have 3 classes for one kid and 1 for my other right now.  I personally find it a lot to balance.  And all I am doing is making a list of assignments for each class to put on our schedule ;-)  Good lessons to learn, but our first online experience was quite a learning curve!

I too wish all the online schools put up schedules about the same week so it would be easier to pick and choose.  I am already holding one day free in hopes the kids like theater and want to continue with that next year....ugh.  Another thing they won't really know/decide until summer and classes are filled up by then. 

• Like 2

For Spanish 3, what is the average time spent per day outside of class? It looks like the textbook and workbook are relatively cheap, cheaper than what other vendors use. I'm hoping that a class will move DD forward with grammar since pure conversation alone doesn't seem enough. 

Please tell me there is no need for an online subscription to something or a required online textbook that will cost us extra $$. 

I'm also interested in French 3 (cheap textbook and workbook!), so here's hoping that the workload is manageable. 

I managed to log in to Avancemos' website so we can use all the recordings and Conjuguemos, but it wasn't with a Landry link and I don't remember how I did it.

The teacher posts the recordings you need for the assignments and direct links to Conjuguemos and the vocabulary list drill apps on the weekly page so the Avancemos website isn't necessary for the class at all. We did use it to do some listening over Christmas break.

T spends about 2-3 hours a week outside of class, but if you don't have a parent who is fluent in the language this will be more, possibly much more. I can explain anything she doesn't understand and, honestly, she understood a lot of Spanish before she started taking formal classes. She spends about 4 hours on Latin outside of class and I think that's more reasonable for most students.

• Like 1

I managed to log in to Avancemos' website so we can use all the recordings and Conjuguemos, but it wasn't with a Landry link and I don't remember how I did it.

The teacher posts the recordings you need for the assignments and direct links to Conjuguemos and the vocabulary list drill apps on the weekly page so the Avancemos website isn't necessary for the class at all. We did use it to do some listening over Christmas break.

T spends about 2-3 hours a week outside of class, but if you don't have a parent who is fluent in the language this will be more, possibly much more. I can explain anything she doesn't understand and, honestly, she understood a lot of Spanish before she started taking formal classes. She spends about 4 hours on Latin outside of class and I think that's more reasonable for most students.

This is so helpful! 

I didn't want to spend $150 on books and online access - already did this for Spanish 1 with Sr. Gamache and obviously it would make sense to continue with him, but these generic credits are so cheap! And oddly enough, I actually only want one class per week. 

This is so helpful! 

I didn't want to spend $150 on books and online access - already did this for Spanish 1 with Sr. Gamache and obviously it would make sense to continue with him, but these generic credits are so cheap! And oddly enough, I actually only want one class per week. 

The one consolation is that $150 covers all 3 years so if you stick with him you won't have any more materials cost.

As far as Landry classes.  I've got one kid signed up for 3 classes and another signed up for 1 (this kid will also take level 2 Spanish with Sr. Gamache).

DD took the intro to Marine Science class with Jen Henkriken (SP?) and that was fabulous.  When class time happened I had 5 kids watching the class instead of just the one who was suppose to be there.

We also had really good luck with their English classes.  Mariyln Whitlock, Jodi Guerra and Megan Manzanes were all very good.  We had one other teacher that DS didn't care for but I think it was just a personality style rather than her not be a good teacher.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...