Menu

I'm so excited!

Dmmetler

I've really, really missed getting to teach younger DC since DD has gotten older, and when discussing it with a friend, who's older DD got to go through music classes until age 6 and then start piano, she commented that she wished her DS had the same opportunity-his got derailed when she had twins-and at 6, he's not ready for piano yet. I mentioned that I'd love to teach, but simply don't have the space to do it. She lit up and said "Can you use my basement rec room?"

So, starting in a couple of weeks, I'll get to teach a group of about 10 homeschooled kids, age 5-8, mostly kids with younger siblings (and a few with older siblings) music while their moms and toddlers have a playgroup upstairs. And the rate, which is about what most co-ops charge in the area, actually ends up being more money than I was making when I taught similar classes for the college prep program.  My friend has done almost all the work at finding kids and setting it up. I'm planning lots of Star Wars based activities, since most of the kids are excited about the music, planning a modified Recorder Karate system, and lots of movement.

I dropped teaching school music when DD was born, dropped teaching college classes and lab classes, except for the occasional summer class or camp to homeschool. I can't believe how happy this is making me.

• Like 43