Menu

FAFSA forms online, do you file with estimates or wait?

Joules

This is my first year, so I'm trying to prepare for filling out my first FAFSA this weekend.  When I went to the site I discovered the pdf of the 16-17 form is available so I'm going to use it to start gathering everything I need.  I thought other newbies might want to take a look, too.

https://fafsa.ed.gov/fotw1617/pdf/PdfFafsa16-17.pdf

I've found drafts for the 1040 here:

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-dft/i1040gi--dft.pdf

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-dft/f1040--dft.pdf

The schools say to file right away.  I'm assuming estimates are fine.  Does anyone have advice to the contrary?  Am I going to mess things up if I don't get the numbers perfect on the first draft?

We filed with estimated numbers and were "picked" to have to go an extra step to give them some proof beyond just linking our actual return. It wasn't that complicated, and I can't remember all the details. I wasn't sure if they pick mostly first-time filers or people who estimate it wrong (which I did). I forgot the child tax credit, so my numbers were way off. 

I'm going to be so happy in April!  I'm working on my taxes now, putting estimates in for everything, and listing what paperwork I'm missing. I've kept good track of everything this year so I'm feel comfortable that my estimates tomorrow will be good.   I did the forecaster, so I'm not expecting any need-based aid, but it's required for merit aid, and it's one box that I can get checked (since I can't write the essays, or fill out the scholarship forms, or write the LORs).

So I got it mostly done with estimates, but I got stalled with putting the colleges in order.  It mentions that states use the information, so I did a search and got a little freaked that it might effect admissions decisions?!?  I'm thinking we might should wait until admissions information is in before I submit FAFSA.

I'm off to search the forum...

I file with estimates in order to meet our state cut-off date of March 10th. Then I make corrections and link to my tax return once I have it filed and it is available. We were flagged one year and had to provide extra information to the college, but it was no big deal. The kind of information that they asked for was readily available.

I file with estimates in order to meet our state cut-off date of March 10th. Then I make corrections and link to my tax return once I have it filed and it is available. We were flagged one year and had to provide extra information to the college, but it was no big deal. The kind of information that they asked for was readily available.

I've always been curious, what kind of info do they ask for if you get chosen to provide extra info?

So I got it mostly done with estimates, but I got stalled with putting the colleges in order.  It mentions that states use the information, so I did a search and got a little freaked that it might effect admissions decisions?!?  I'm thinking we might should wait until admissions information is in before I submit FAFSA.

I'm off to search the forum...

Don't wait!  The schools used to be able to see what order you put the list of schools in and people speculated that it may affect admissions (huge assumption that the most desired schools would be listed first).  Starting this year, the list will  not be visible to the schools (per information being discussed on College Confidential).

Don't wait!  The schools used to be able to see what order you put the list of schools in and people speculated that it may affect admissions (huge assumption that the most desired schools would be listed first).  Starting this year, the list will  not be visible to the schools (per information being discussed on College Confidential).

So the FAFSA still says the information is available to the states on that page and order may matter.  Does that mean it is only available to the state itself and not the state schools?  I couldn't quite figure how or where the information would go to the state without going to the state universities.

I prefer to wait, as I'm not interested in inputting the numbers again later, and my oldest daughter's school has a later deadline. However, some of the schools on my current senior's list are due Feb 1. We don't typically get my husband's W-2 until the very end of January, if then.

I prefer to wait, as I'm not interested in inputting the numbers again later, and my oldest daughter's school has a later deadline. However, some of the schools on my current senior's list are due Feb 1. We don't typically get my husband's W-2 until the very end of January, if then.

We have one school due Feb 1st as well, and one for Feb 8th. They also want a copy of the tax return by March 1st.

We generally get the W-2 promptly, but I was curious and looked it up: the Social Security Administration requires all employers to provide their employees' W-2 forms by the first business day on or after January 31st. So, if they are late, you could actually make a federal complaint. (It's quite likely not a good career move to get your employer in trouble with the feds, though....)

This is very helpful.  DH and I were just discussing if we should wait until we have 2015 taxes done, which would be the 1st week of February or to do it now with the estimates since there will not be any significant changes between 2014 and 2015.

We have one school due Feb 1st as well, and one for Feb 8th. They also want a copy of the tax return by March 1st.

We generally get the W-2 promptly, but I was curious and looked it up: the Social Security Administration requires all employers to provide their employees' W-2 forms by the first business day on or after January 31st. So, if they are late, you could actually make a federal complaint. (It's quite likely not a good career move to get your employer in trouble with the feds, though....)

Ours comes from a federal agency, lol. They normally do get it to us by the very end of January though...cutting it awfully close for processing time with a Feb 1 deadline though.

For those who have more than 10 schools on your list, be sure that you put the schools with the earliest deadlines on your FAFSA first. You'll have to go back later and delete some schools to put the rest of the schools on, but you'll want to give those early schools time to get your info (I believe the processing is 3-5 days)

So the FAFSA still says the information is available to the states on that page and order may matter.  Does that mean it is only available to the state itself and not the state schools?  I couldn't quite figure how or where the information would go to the state without going to the state universities.

Ok, I found a relevant article that includes the following:

Although colleges will no longer have access to the information, the department plans to continue to provide state grant agencies with access to students’ college preferences on the FAFSA.

Full article is here:

https://www.insidehighered.com/news/2015/08/14/education-department-will-stop-giving-colleges-information-about-students%E2%80%99-choices