Menu

Surprise - looks like I'm headed to Disney World - help?

momee

The first couple weeks of January (after kids go back to school) are some of the best times to visit.   If you are arriving the weekend of New Year's, that weekend might be busy, but as of the 4th, crowds will be at their lowest, and weather should be pretty nice.   It's been a VERY mild winter so far - I live about an hour away Orlando and we are wearing shorts, t-shirts, and flip flops almost full-time.   

• Like 5

"but as of the 4th, crowds will be at their lowest, and weather should be pretty nice. "

Friends saying it might be super crowded and maybe we shouldn't go.  I called for ticketing info and she said they closed Magic Kingdom earlier today due to capactiy :(

We can do Hilton Head as well and see Charleston and Savannah for day trips.

Soo thankful to have such a choice to make, I am stunned and surprised and grateful~

Edited by momee

"but as of the 4th, crowds will be at their lowest, and weather should be pretty nice. "

Friends saying it might be super crowded and maybe we shouldn't go.  I called for ticketing info and she said they closed Magic Kingdom earlier today due to capactiy :(

We can do Hilton Head as well and see Charleston and Savannah for day trips.

Soo thankful to have such a choice to make, I am stunned and surprised and grateful~

Christmas - New Years Day is one of the busiest weeks of the year.  I live in the Tampa area and we have gone a few days after New Years (once kids go back to school) and there is hardly anyone there.

Do look for the free crowd calendars.  They are very accurate.  It will put your mind at ease. 

• Like 7

We went there during Marathon week once.  My husband and I actually did the half marathon (this was before kids).  There is a reason they have it that week and that is to draw some crowds.  That was possibly best Disney trip.  VERY low crowds and not too hot.  Loved going right after the holidays like that.  The crowds will not resemble anything that is happening there over the holidays.

If you are going in a week, get online and get your fast pass reservations NOW.  My guess is that for some rides they will already be gone as they are available 30 days out for those staying off-site and 60 days out for those staying on-site.

We were not able to get some 30 days out for the more popular rides.

Even though crowds are low, they aren't sparse.  You will still hit 60 min. wait times for things like 7 dwarfs mine ride, Soarin', Toy Story Mania, etc....

If you can't get fast passes for those, be prepared to wait or get there right when the park opens (before and wait for the rope to drop to get in) and run straight to that particular ride and get on it first.   We couldn't get fast passes for 7 dwarfs and did rope drop one day and still waited 25 min. but later it was much longer.

Also, know that January has large crowds from Brazil on their break from schools.

Dawn

• Like 1

If you are going in a week, get online and get your fast pass reservations NOW.  My guess is that for some rides they will already be gone as they are available 30 days out for those staying off-site and 60 days out for those staying on-site.

We were not able to get some 30 days out for the more popular rides.

Even though crowds are low, they aren't sparse.  You will still hit 60 min. wait times for things like 7 dwarfs mine ride, Soarin', Toy Story Mania, etc....

If you can't get fast passes for those, be prepared to wait or get there right when the park opens (before and wait for the rope to drop to get in) and run straight to that particular ride and get on it first.   We couldn't get fast passes for 7 dwarfs and did rope drop one day and still waited 25 min. but later it was much longer.

Also, know that January has large crowds from Brazil on their break from schools.

Dawn

Same goes for restaurant reservations.  If there is any sit down or buffet you were hoping to hit, try to get reservations now.  You probably won't be able to get into them otherwise.  If you plan on just doing the walk up places, then you should be fine.

I, honestly, would not choose to go to Disney without a chance to actually prep for it and get fast pass and meal reservations.

• Like 2

I'll repeat go to easywdw. Look at the January calendar. Pick what days to go to which parks - they rank then from best to worst each day. We like to do 1.5 days at Magic Kingdom, 1.5-2 at Epcot (our fav), 1 at Animal Kingdom and 1 at Hollywood Studios. Once you know where you're going to be when, get your FPs. Next, get your restaurant ressies, if you plan on eating onsite.

The crowds should be quite low, but even still, for your best shot at hitting the attractions you want to hit, arrive before opening. You can do amazing things in the first hour at a park :)

Have fun!!

• Like 1

Sending me to easywdw is like sending a mom to the Hive when she just decided to take her kid out of public school :)

Acronyms, do this don't do that, fastpass time commitments.

Will we survive if I just wing it, show up for the sights, ride what looks fun, eat when/where we feel like it and catch a show or two?

(starting to hyperventilate - I don't know what Fantasmic even is - feel like that's the equivalent of not knowing what Saxon math is!)

Edited by momee
  • Like 1

I agree with scheduling your days with the crowd tracker. I like to make reservations at sit down restaurants for a late lunch because it's a great way to rest, relax and recharge halfway through the day. I also pay the small fee for the unofficial guide to disney site. They have schedules you can follow as well as crowd trackers. I find if I follow their schedule just until lunchtime, we generally get to do everything we want to in the park, but it does mean getting there when the park opens. Before I found these schedules, I really felt Disney was a ripoff, because we'd be there the whole day waiting in lines and maybe only get to do 5 or 6 rides.

Have fun!

• Like 1

We are at Disney right now and it is crazy busy...but we have had a really enjoyable time none the less.  We did do some planning but it was rather last minute so not a lot of dining/FP+ for headliners...yes you can just show up and wing it but it is more fun if you are slightly prepared...all the menus for dining are online...go look them up by park and see if there is anything you like and want to do.  Look at the rides at each park and pick the ones you HAVE to go on...then try to get a FP+ for them, you may have to be flexible and know that you will rope drop 1 and FP the other big ticket because you probably can't do both.  The best advice is to show up at rope drop...the parks have been doable when we rope dropped them this week...even though after the parks were closed due to volume twice when we were there.  We take mid day breaks most of the time and go back in the evening....Plan for varying weather!  It has been so hot here this week (80+ every day we have been here) but then when we leave it will be 65 as a high so be ready for both extremes.  But it is so much FUN!!! 

• Like 2

That unofficial guide to Disney is exactly what I needed.

Specific parks' crowd estimations, the impact of marathon weekend, and many schedules including the exact one I was looking for :)

Thanks ever so much for that recommendation.

We have found that on days where the crowd is estimated a 1 or a 2 (with 1=not busy, 10=crazytown), you can really go on any ride with no line with very few exceptions (and the exceptions being at most a 10 minute wait). 

I do love those schedules though.  My husband makes fun of me for using them but they do work.

One tip:  if you are going to Epcot, do Test Track early.  It experiences a lot of stoppages and may be closed at the slightest indication of weather, so earlier in the day ensures the least potential for disappointments if that is high on your to do list.  I also believe Soarin' is going to close for remodel soon which may make Test Track more crowded than normal.

We did 8 days there two years ago with a 8,6,4, and 1 year old. We had a fabulous time.

We did 3 days at magic kingdom

2 days at Epcot

3 days at Hollywood studios (they were doing Star Wars days and my oldest two couldn't get enough)

1 day at animal kingdom

We spent one day in the middle at the closest Florida beach and that was also great.

Even if you aren't a super planner, reading a bit before you go can make things sail along more smoothly. Hit the popular rides first thing in the morning and late in the day. Plan some shows when you need a walk break. Plan in advance how much you are allowing for souvenirs because their is expensive crap for sale at every turn.

Have fun! We are saving to go back.

Sending me to easywdw is like sending a mom to the Hive when she just decided to take her kid out of public school :)

Acronyms, do this don't do that, fastpass time commitments.

Will we survive if I just wing it, show up for the sights, ride what looks fun, eat when/where we feel like it and catch a show or two?

(starting to hyperventilate - I don't know what Fantasmic even is - feel like that's the equivalent of not knowing what Saxon math is!)

I know it's overwhelming, but please don't wing it :)

If nothing else, just download the January calendar and pick what parks to go to. Do you understand the Fastpass process? If so, set those up. I think there are cheat sheets for every park which tell you what attractions are FP priorities. To me, that's most important. Everything else you can probably "wing." Deep breaths. You can do this!

That unofficial guide to Disney is exactly what I needed.

Specific parks' crowd estimations, the impact of marathon weekend, and many schedules including the exact one I was looking for :)

Thanks ever so much for that recommendation.

I trust easywdw. They're way more accurate than Touring Plans. Easy sometimes compares TP's estimates to reality after the fact. They are wrong quite a bit.