Menu

Green vegetable you make on the stovetop?

Daria

I was going to make a green salad with fennel and pomegranate for Christmas dinner, but my son and I are just getting over a nasty cold, and I think my relatives will be safer if I cook something with enough heat to kill germs.

I'll take the food to my mom's and cook it there since we'll be with her all day, and she says the oven will be "full", so I can't make my favorite roasted veggies.

I'd love to do some kind of brussel sprouts with a little bacon or pancetta or something, as that's my very favorite, but I don't have a recipe.

Artichokes are great this time of the year.

Basically you put them in a big pot of lightly salted water, simmer until done (about an hour for big ones, less for smaller ones.)  (Tug on a leaf to tell--if it pulls out easily, it's done.)  Drain well, upside down, then serve with mayo or melted butter.  Elegantish.

These are not easily divisible so you need one per person.

Edited by Carol in Cal.
  • Like 1

I do the shredded Brussels sprouts. So good. Even people who don't like those like it that way.

I just do them in butter or bacon fat though. No nuts or anything like that. They hold up well to reheating too.

We make these at home, and I love them. But I worry my mom won't think they are fancy enough. She likes fancy. Any more fancy stovetop Brussels sprouts recipes?

Brussel Sprouts... oh my, these are not your mom's Brussel's sprouts.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/brussels-sprouts-with-pecans-and-cranberries-recipe.html

sometimes we don't even put in the pecans and/or cranberries.. it's fine without both. So yummy. My kids all eat this happily.

Yum.

I don't care for pecans. How do you think these would taste with almonds?

I had a piece of fish on a bed of crispy sprouts with cranberry, bacon and tiny freshwater scallops once that might have been my favorite dinner ever.

Brussel Sprouts... oh my, these are not your mom's Brussel's sprouts.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/brussels-sprouts-with-pecans-and-cranberries-recipe.html

sometimes we don't even put in the pecans and/or cranberries.. it's fine without both. So yummy. My kids all eat this happily.

It is too late to add this to Christmas dinner, but I am going to try it soon! Any of Alton Brown's recipies that I have tried have been big hits with my family. We actually made up a giant batch of his hot cocoa mix to give as gifts this year.

For Brussel Sprouts I cut in half and fry for a couple minutes in oil on high heat (get some browned edges) I turn it down a bit, maybe medium, add in bacon and continue to cook stirring every couple minutes until done.  I do the same with frozen or fresh green beans, only I slice a white onion very thin and fry it for a couple minutes first.  With both dishes I add a little butter at the end for flavor along with salt and pepper.  Takes 10-15 minutes, I think, to cook.  A big bowl of steamed and buttered broccoli is nice too.