Menu

We have too many books!

Grantmom

I never thought I would say it.  As a homeschooler, there is just no such thing!  But our bookshelves are overflowing.  I've already culled a lot of books.  When I try to go through the books again, I just can't let go of any of them.   I'm especially sentimental about beloved children's books that I have special memories attached to. 

I culled two huge toilet paper boxes (like the 48-packs they'll send you from Amazon if you pay them enough money) full of books this summer so that my shelves weren't all double-stacked with other books lying on top of them.

Yet I just ordered more since Beautiful Feet books sent me an alluring email.  :drool5:

"My name is RootAnn and I am a bookaholic." Since I have no more space for more bookcases, I just need to replace the small ones with bigger ones, right?

• Like 3

You're silly.

You don't have too many books. You just have furniture construction equipment.

Every magazine about decorating eventually has the article on how you can turn books into end tables. Stack those babies up and decorate with a little tea cup. Lovely.

For a time, before I scored some new bookcases, I used to stack up paperbacks in the corners of rooms about 3-4 feet high. You can get lots of paperbacks in a corner and it's relatively sturdy because the two sides of the corner brace them in.

I put shelves above the doorframes, resting on the doorframes, to have books overhead when I ran out of room against the walls for more bookcases. (I have a series of doors next to each other in a semi-circle in my hallway. I put strings of white lights on the books and it looks adorable.)

You don't have too many books. You just have a temporary lack of creativity on how to display them. :)

Edited by Garga
  • Like 8

I read the OP and thought :confused1: .

I read the responses and thought :001_wub: .

I'm sorry OP. I know it's hard when you run out of space. And I get it.  I, too, ran out of space.  Like, three years ago.  But,

BOOKS. :001_wub: :001_wub: :001_wub:

I wish you the best of luck, but, sadly, I have no advice.

• Like 5

I bought a Kindle with the plan of replacing my books with a digital version. Don't quite work out as planned.

Many of the great classics my library chose to discard found their way to my home.

Yes, I too need a 12-step program for a book addiction.

Edited by jelbe5
  • Like 2

Yes, I want one of those sliding ladders too!!  You know, I do have some wasted space on a few bookshelves, where there is space above the books.  Maybe I need to see if I can add in a shelf or two here and there by compacting them together better!  I already have the double lined shelves in many places!

I need a whole room of shelves.

• Like 1

I dream of a library of my own with the sliding ladders. In the meantime, I learned how to let my town library be my book collection. It was very liberating.

I still have plenty of overflowing book shelves but I rarely add a book. I go to the library.

• Like 2

We have more YA books than our local library. Think very.small.town. (If we still lived in Illinois, I would definitely be able to get all the books I needed. What a wonderful library system!  :hurray:   :drool5:  I actually have pay for a library subscription in The Big City to get access to more books. But that's 1 1/2 hours away (and still not as great as Illinois was), so we (I) just keep buying...

I learned how to let my town library be my book collection. It was very liberating.
I still have plenty of overflowing book shelves but I rarely add a book. I go to the library.

Edited by RootAnn
  • Like 2