Menu

Appetizer ideas for a holiday party--baking ideas?

Jane in NC

We are to bring either an appetizer or dessert to a holiday party, a gathering of mostly middle aged or elderly folks. I think that these events often have many dessert options as well as a number of people with dietary restrictions who avoid sweets.

I want to bring something more interesting than a veg or cheese tray.  Knowing that I love to bake, can you think of something that might be a fun addition to such an event?  Wine and beer will be the beverages of choice.

I want to make this (I'll make it half w/ just cheese) for an appetizer at Christmas: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/soppressata-and-cheese-in-puff-pastry-recipe.html

I saw this episode this week and it looked delicious. You can use cheddar cheese and ham instead of the gruyere and soppressata too. 

I make spinach bars every year which are always a big hit.

• Like 1

bacon wrapped lil smokies or meatballs.    The smokies are a little more work but they are sooo good.  The meatballs are easy there are many different ways to make them.  

Oh - we sprinkle brown sugar on top of bacon wrapped lil' smokies! So yummy! 

• Like 2

OK--I have never made a choux pastry.  Is it really as easy as claimed, Techwife?

My husband makes them. I checked with him to verify - he said that to him they are easy, but it takes a bit to get used to handling the dough. He said maybe a moderate level recipe. 

• Like 1

My husband makes them. I checked with him to verify - he said that to him they are easy, but it takes a bit to get used to handling the dough. He said maybe a moderate level recipe. 

What flavor does he make? I see recipes with different cheeses and some have bacon or something added...what kind of flavoring does your dh use? 

• Like 1

What about gougéres? They are pretty easy to do and taste fabulous! 

This is a great idea, although the recipe I used to use (before I misplaced it!) tasted better fresh out of the oven than if transported.

OK--I have never made a choux pastry.  Is it really as easy as claimed, Techwife?

It's easy in a food processor and moderate in a pan, in my experience.

Edited by idnib
  • Like 1

Fabulous idea!  Thank you!  (And I thought you were a non-cook, Stacia.)

ETA:  You have inspired me.  I could also do mushrooms/ricotta in phyllo.

May I also suggest puff pastry as an alternative to phyllo? It seems a bit fancier and festive, at least to me. Here's an example from the BBC, but you'd want to cut smaller for appetizers.

• Like 1