Menu

High School in the 1970s What was your kind of music?

Mine was rock and roll for the most part. I cannot find my favourite song, The Whole World's Going Crazy by April Wine, but for those of you who have n ever heard one of Canada's top 1970s bands sing, here's a link to one of their biggest hits.

I can only understand the words to the chorus, so I hope it's not offensive!!! DH said it's not something our kids should listen to;) One I liked better was this one
called Tonight is a Wonderful Time to Fall in Love. But when I was 15, my favourite song's refrain (not the one linked) had this in it:

The whole world's going crazy,

Crazy, crazy, crazy, cra-a-azy,

Hey, baby, you wanna go crazy with me-e-e-e.

Intelligent, isn't it? Mature? As I was, naturally, at 15:D

Okay, I had other songs I really, really, really liked.

though I didn't enter high school until the 80's, I was a precocious music fan (sp?).

When I think of the 70's and my favorites, I'd have to include old Genesis (Peter Gabriel on lead vocals), Pink Floyd (Shine on You Crazy Diamond), Black Sabbath (Ozzy and Ronny James Dio on vocals), Crosby, Stills, Nash, & Young; KISS (I had all of the albums, dressed up like them w/ my brothers to perform concerts for our parents...I was Gene..LOL), Emerson, Lake and Palmer; Boston (just love them), Styx, Peter Frampton, oh..my...there are so many more!

Blessings,

Camy

Why Spy Car, I thought we would never be on the same page on anything. But I do love Ian Hunter. I saw him perform this song live with Todd Rundgren somewhere around 1980 at an Agora club in Florida.

My big faves in the 70's were:

Queen

Electric Light Orchestra

Tom Petty

Billy Joel

Harry Chapin

David Bowie

Paul McCartney

so many more but I can't think right now.

Here's my favorite 70's song:

Don McLean's "American Pie"

(This video is cool because it explains the song very well)

I loved that song, it came out before I learned about pop music, but I never knew what it meaned until later. This video is great, because it explains the whole song, although I don't think Mr. Spock belongs there, because it's out of time for that part of the song.

Why Spy Car, I thought we would never be on the same page on anything. But I do love Ian Hunter. I saw him perform this song live with Todd Rundgren somewhere around 1980 at an Agora club in Florida.

My big faves in the 70's were:

Queen

Electric Light Orchestra

Tom Petty

Billy Joel

Harry Chapin

David Bowie

Paul McCartney

so many more but I can't think right now.

Same here. I wasn't a fan of David Bowie (he was later on), but I used to cry at Harry Chapin's son Cat's Cradle, and was in grade 9 when Bohemian Rhapsody was hot in our high school (I think I have the right Queen song--definitely a Queen song was totally hot when I was taking French in Grade 9 because I remember who was in my class, where I was, etc.)

And Paul McCartney--we loved his songs, my friends and I. Gosh, and I loved, loved, loved Crosby, Stills and Nash (only concert I actually paid for while still in high school was when they came to Vancouver.) I loved the older stuff from Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young, too. Plus, we used to listen to older stuff from Bread and many, many other groups. Remember Stairway to Heaven on the radio? The version on the album was way longer. Oh, the memories...

Okay, I went to High School in the 90's, but my heart lies in the 70's (and I played in a mostly 70's cover band for years)... so I hope that means my response is welcome.

I love:

Led Zeppelin

Old Heart

Badfinger

Styx

These are some of my favorite bands in the world.

I also love love love old Bowie.

Okay, I went to High School in the 90's, but my heart lies in the 70's (and I played in a mostly 70's cover band for years)... so I hope that means my response is welcome.

I love:

Led Zeppelin

Old Heart

Badfinger

Styx

These are some of my favorite bands in the world.

I also love love love old Bowie.

I wondered when someone would get to these! Yes, Aerosmith, the Who.

And don't forget Barry Manilow!:D

Eagles, John Denver, James Taylor, Billy Joel, Elton John, Jimmy Buffet.

Mmmm, John Denver I loved, even though he sang Country. What a fabulous voice and things like Sunshine on My Shoulder and Annie's Song are some of my favourites. If I ever get an IPOD those will be on my what to get list. After The Nylons' version of The Lion Sleeps Tonight, of course. Back in the 1970s it was another group that had that out, or at least it was still being played. At my first high school dance, the band played "Smoke on the Water" 3 times. Two years later that lead singer was my first official boyfriend (a local band which had broken up by then).

My mother was a teen when Elvis came out, so she can truly relate to the line "I remember when rock was young"... I hated Elvis Presley's music in high school, but do like some of it now. I did like Elton John back then, but don't care for him now. My aunt, 9 years younger, saw the Beatles in Vancouver. They broke up when I was 10 and before I even knew who they were. I had a very musically sheltered childhood because my dad is all about Classical music, although he played some folk when company came, and I don't remember my mother having the radio on when she drove.

But, in answer to a different poster, Barry Manilow was just not cool for teens where I was;). Although I did secretly play one of his songs (I think it was Mandy) on the piano at home. Can't stand the song now, though, when I'm at an age where I suppose I "should" like his stuff.

Most of my fav. old songs are from 1972. I do not know why - maybe because that is the year I got my own transistor radio in my room!

Wings, Bowie, McLean, Elton John, John Lennon, John Denver, Carpenters, Simon and Garfunkel then just Paul Simon, plus was big into collecting older Beatles import records.

I started 9th grade in 1978.

My first year I was still listening to pretty mainstream pop/rock stuff: Fleetwood Mac (Rumours), The Eagles, Supertramp, ELO. My favorite was Queen, which I still love to this day, by the way.

By my sophomore year, I was branching out. I feel in love with The Ramones (about which I am nostalgic, but which I don't actually enjoy listening to anymore). And then I was introduced to Elvis Costello, and the world (or at least my record collection) would never be the same. And, oh, another one I still love is The Boomtown Rats.

Here's one of my favorites: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Shtt7snuuyc

So, I guess mostly New Wave stuff.

Edited to add: Of course, my darling son was looking over my shoulder while I poked around on You Tube and said scornfully, "They're not even really singing, just yelling in tune." Darn it, tell me again why I taught him to have taste?

I started 9th grade in 1978.

So, I guess mostly New Wave stuff.

Edited to add: Of course, my darling son was looking over my shoulder while I poked around on You Tube and said scornfully, "They're not even really singing, just yelling in tune." Darn it, tell me again why I taught him to have taste?

Remember 1979 and the song "Pop Musik" --I was going to university, and whenever we went dancing this was one of my absolute favourites to dance to because it is just so easy to dance to (remember the style of dancing then?:D)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybjH7qRT37k'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybjH7qRT37k'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybjH7qRT37k'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybjH7qRT37k

Blondie was a new group and came out with Heart of Glass http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybjH7qRT37k Of course, they did the best job of The Tide is High, but that was 1980, so not really pertinent to this thread. I was going to modelling school when Heart of Glass came out and after class we'd often go out dancing. So much better than disco.

Speaking of disco, which was so 1970s, I think it's interesting that that hasn't come up. Of course, I did start this off with ROCK music, but we have included other genres.

Remember when Punk music became popular in 1976?

Most of my fav. old songs are from 1972. I do not know why - maybe because that is the year I got my own transistor radio in my room!

Wings, Bowie, McLean, Elton John, John Lennon, John Denver, Carpenters, Simon and Garfunkel then just Paul Simon, plus was big into collecting older Beatles import records.

I bought a little transistor radio a couple years ago for fun. Ds were fascinated with it, the whole idea of it!

Do you remember the song that was playing all the time (or was it in 1971) with the words, Where's your mama gone? I never new the name, and always thought they were singing to "little baby boy" and that they sang chubba chubba cheep cheep (this might belong in Aubrey's thread about mixed up lyrics and it was on my dad's portable radio.) CHIRPY CHIRPY CHEEP CHEEP

Mac & Katie Kissoon

Remember 1979 and the song "Pop Musik" --I was going to university, and whenever we went dancing this was one of my absolute favourites to dance to because it is just so easy to dance to (remember the style of dancing then?:D)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybjH7qRT37k

Oh, yes. That one still gets stuck in my head now and then.

And, yes, the dancing didn't require much in the way of talent, did it?

Camy,

Your post reminded me of one Halloween when my friends decided we would dress as KISS and I was Gene Simmons. There was a particular boy in our class who was really ornery and he was "supposed" to be home handing out candy. We decided to play a trick on him and I was supposed to spit tomato juice on him like Gene would spit "blood". Well, our plan fell to pieces when his dad, our principal, answered the door instead and I was so surprised I spit tomato juice on him instead.:leaving: Not one of my prouder moments.

though I didn't enter high school until the 80's, I was a precocious music fan (sp?).

When I think of the 70's and my favorites, I'd have to include old Genesis (Peter Gabriel on lead vocals), Pink Floyd (Shine on You Crazy Diamond), Black Sabbath (Ozzy and Ronny James Dio on vocals), Crosby, Stills, Nash, & Young; KISS (I had all of the albums, dressed up like them w/ my brothers to perform concerts for our parents...I was Gene..LOL), Emerson, Lake and Palmer; Boston (just love them), Styx, Peter Frampton, oh..my...there are so many more!

Blessings,

Camy

LOL! Can you believe we used to use Ivory Soap to get that "white make up" look? Ouch...I still feel the sting (grin). What we don't do for fun...huh?

I missed that, not being a big Kiss fan. I actually bought real white face in high school. I did a lot of theatre, and one of the things I loved to do was mime.

Of the Billboard top 500 of the '70s here are 100 of my favorites but by no means my all time favorites - I often best liked the songs that didn't become big hits.

1. Surrender - Cheap Trick
    2. Cruel To Be Kind - Nick Lowe
    3. I Wanna Be Sedated - Ramones
    4. Somebody to Love - Queen
    5. Beth - Kiss
    6. The Boys Are Back in Town - Thin Lizzy
    7. School's Out - Alice Cooper
    8. Is This Love - Bob Marley & The Wailers
    9. Only Women Bleed - Alice Cooper
    10. Our House - Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young
    11. Ballroom Blitz - Sweet
    12. All the Young Dudes - Mott the Hoople
    13. Alison - Elvis Costello
    14. I Want You to Want Me - Cheap Trick
    15. Is She Really Going Out With Him? - Joe Jackson
    16. Video Killed the Radio Star - The Buggles
    17. Killer Queen - Queen
    18. Bohemian Rhapsody - Queen
    19. I Love the Nightlife - Alicia Bridges
    20. One Way or Another - Blondie
    21. Fox on the Run - Sweet
    22. Dream Police - Cheap Trick
    23. Watching the Detectives - Elvis Costello
    24. Your Song - Elton John
    25. You're My Best Friend - Queen
    26. Maggie May - Rod Stewart
    27. I Only Want to Be With You - Bay City Rollers
    28. Cat's in the Cradle - Harry Chapin
    29. Wild World - Cat Stevens
    30. Angie - The Rolling Stones
    31. Seasons in the Sun - Terry Jacks
    32. Heart of Glass - Blondie
    33. Life's Been Good - Joe Walsh
    34. Pump It Up - Elvis Costello
    35. Changes - David Bowie
    36. Me and Julio Down by the Schoolyard - Paul Simon
    37. Walk on the Wild Side - Lou Reed
    38. Daniel - Elton John
    39. Stayin Alive - The Bee Gees
    40. Do Ya - Electric Light Orchestra
    41. Sultans of Swing - Dire Straits
    42. Saturday Night - Bay City Rollers
    43. Young Americans - David Bowie
    44. Evil Woman - Electric Light Orchestra
    45. Born to Run - Bruce Springsteen
    46. Cecilia - Simon & Garfunkel
    47. Night Fever - The Bee Gees
    48. Breakdown - Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers
    49. Mind Games - John Lennon
    50. Piano Man - Billy Joel
    51. Don't Bring Me Down - Electric Light Orchestra
    52. Werewolves of London - Warren Zevon
    53. Mama Told Me (Not To Come) - Three Dog Night
    54. I'm Not in Love - 10cc
    55. Reeling in the Years - Steely Dan
    56. Tiny Dancer - Elton John
    57. Dream Weaver - Gary Wright
    58. Mamma Mia - Abba
    59. Teach Your Children - Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young
    60. Still the Same - Bob Seger & The Silver Bullet Band
    61. Blinded By the Light - Manfred Mann's Earth Band
    62. Bang A Gong (Get it On) - T. Rex
    63. The Pretender - Jackson Browne
    64. I'll Have to Say I Love You in a Song - Jim Croce
    65. How Deep is Your Love - The Bee Gees
    66. You've Got a Friend - James Taylor
    67. Take the Long Way Home - Supertramp
    68. Rebel Rebel - David Bowie
    69. Nights in White Satin - The Moody Blues
    70. Another Saturday Night - Cat Stevens
    71. Lola - The Kinks
    72. My Sweet Lord - George Harrison
    73. Levon - Elton John
    74. Still the One - Orleans
    75. What's Going On - Marvin Gaye
    76. Doctor My Eyes - Jackson Browne
    77. Movin' Out (Anthony's Song) - Billy Joel
    78. You're The First, The Last, My Everything - Barry White
    79. You're in My Heart - Rod Stewart
    80. You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet - Bachman Turner Overdrive
    81. Someone Saved My Life Tonight - Elton John
    82. Pop Muzik - M
    83. I Just Want to Be Your Everything - Andy Gibb
    84. It's So Easy - Linda Rondstadt
    85. Maybe I'm Amazed - Wings
    86. Takin' Care of Business - Bachman Turner Overdrive
    87. The Logical Song - Supertramp
    88. Live and Let Die - Paul McCartney & Wings
    89. If - Bread
    90. Goodbye Yellow Brick Road - Elton John
    91. The Loco-Motion - Grand Funk Railroad
    92. Only the Good Die Young - Billy Joel
    93. Shining Star - Earth, Wind & Fire
    94. Lay Down Sally - Eric Clapton
    95. December, 1963 (Oh, What a Night) - The 4 Seasons
    96. Hold Your Head Up - Argent
    97. Welcome Back - John Sebastian
    98. Three Times a Lady - The Commodores
    99. Crocodile Rock - Elton John
    100. The Cover of "Rolling Stone" - Dr. Hook

What? Nobody loved Cheap Trick? The Kinks? Van Halen? Actually, I didn't like Cheap Trick or The Kinks either. Let's see --- I liked Eric Clapton, Neil Young (and Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young), Fleetwood Mac, Blondie, and the Beach Boys. The Beach Boys had a revival in the 1970's, releasing an album of old hits that this 11-year-old thought were brand new. I also thought "Kashmir" by Led Zeppelin was the most brilliant thing I had ever heard. I also discovered Sargeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band at this time, although that was released in the late 60's.

And why hasn't Gordon Lightfoot been mentioned? Admit it, ladies, you loved "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald." That is a nice long song if you were, um, enjoying the scenery in a (cough) parked car. :001_wub: Another one I enjoyed while enjoying the scenery was "Nights in White Satin" by the Moody Blues."

Have I jogged anyone's memory yet?

Well, I went to high school in the 80s. But we lived with another family when I was growing up (kinda like a hippie commune--very strange), and they had older kids, so we grew up listening to everything from Fleetwood Mac and the Doobies ("South City Midnight Lady": does it get any better than that?!) to Black Sabbath and Pink Floyd. Here's Thin Lizzy performing one my faves. I also LOVED disco; do the hustle! And one of my all-time faves of any era or genre is the Allman Brothers'

Just perfect.

Now here's the ultimate 70s listening experience: Get in your t-top Camaro (:lol:), pop in your 8-track of the Allman Brothers' Eat a Peach, and then cruise along to "Melissa" with the breeze blowing through what's left of your hair. Follow with liberal doses of the Doobies, Steely Dan, Lynyrd Skynyrd, the Marshall Tucker Band, Santana, and Boston; JT's entire Sweet Baby James album; the Saturday Night Fever soundtrack; and Heart's "Dog and Butterfly." Aaaaahhhh. :auto:

ETA: Oh! And I'm not too proud to admit that I looooove Loggins and Messina. Love 'em. Think we should have a Loggins and Messina Day once a year. Think House at Pooh Corner should be required listening. Still get choked up when I hear "Danny's Song" or "Watching the River Run." They were THAT good. And they had great hair.

OOOH, I loved the Doobie Brothers! I didn't have a camaro though, I had to drive a Vega.:glare: I still listen to Fleetwood Mac, I have all my old albums. Does anybody remember Dr Hook? I loved their song, Only 16! Good memories!:D

Well, I went to high school in the 80s. But we lived with another family when I was growing up (kinda like a hippie commune--very strange), and they had older kids, so we grew up listening to everything from Fleetwood Mac and the Doobies ("South City Midnight Lady": does it get any better than that?!) to Black Sabbath and Pink Floyd. Here's Thin Lizzy performing one my faves. I also LOVED disco; do the hustle! And one of my all-time faves of any era or genre is the Allman Brothers'
Just perfect.

Now here's the ultimate 70s listening experience: Get in your t-top Camaro (:lol:), pop in your 8-track of the Allman Brothers' Eat a Peach, and then cruise along to "Melissa" with the breeze blowing through what's left of your hair. Follow with liberal doses of the Doobies, Steely Dan, Lynyrd Skynyrd, the Marshall Tucker Band, Santana, and Boston; JT's entire Sweet Baby James album; the Saturday Night Fever soundtrack; and Heart's "Dog and Butterfly." Aaaaahhhh. :auto:

ETA: Oh! And I'm not too proud to admit that I looooove Loggins and Messina. Love 'em. Think we should have a Loggins and Messina Day once a year. Think House at Pooh Corner should be required listening. Still get choked up when I hear "Danny's Song" or "Watching the River Run." They were THAT good. And they had great hair.

I've been reliving my high school years with the help of this board and YouTube.

Here's one of my favs added to the mix:

Jenelle

Skynyrd! My fave is "The Ballad of Curtis Loew," but "Call Me the Breeze" fits the t-top Camaro mixed tape better, I must admit. ;) That and the Allman Brothers'

, baby!

My favorite Dr Hook was "Sylvia's Mother". Remember this one?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sq2i-UloBAc&feature=related

Yeah, great one! But, um, what's that strange glass box there behind the singer? :001_huh: Looks vaguely familiar...maybe from Doctor Who?! :D

Can't mention Dr. Hook without this one!!!

This song came on the radio just last night and the dh and I were singing it at the top of our lungs -- much to the chagrin of our children!! ;)

Wow, I'd TOTALLY forgotten that one. I LOVE the "we've gone bigtime" songs, especially when they're tongue-in-cheek. Remember this one?

Motown baby. Was there other music in the 70's? :)

I grew up on Janis and Deep Purple and The Who and Santana. For me, the 70's were Motown.

The 4 Tops--Ain't No Woman (Like the One I Love)

The Spinners--I'll be Around, Could It Be I'm Falling In Love?

Santana--Anything from Abraxas

Aretha--Respect, Rock Steady, Natural Woman, Day Dreaming

Malo--Suavecito

Temptations--Memories (obscure, but a fave)