Menu

Appetizers for budget cooking class

saraha

I have been teaching a free budget cooking class since last May and need some new ideas.  This month we are focusing on appetizers and dips.  I need some inexpensive appetizer, party food and dip ideas.  Think WIC foods and food stamp budget inexpensive.  I am going to do potato skins (without bacon) and a refried bean dip, but could really use some more ideas.

Thanks!

I think anything with beans; I make hummus, white bean dip, and black bean dips frequently. I rarely use tahini in my dips for both cost and flavor reasons. I make big batches of beans from dried and freeze them in 1-2 cup portions for dips. I use lemon juice for flavoring, fresh herbs if I haven't killed the latest bunch in my garden, and occasionally dried spices.

A really unusual and fancy appetizer I make is cheddar crisps with roasted grape "chutney". It's basically shredded cheddar (from a block) baked in circle-ish crisps, and roasted red grapes chopped with a little raw red onion; salt, pepper and fresh parsley to tast are nice additions. I can post a real "recipe" later if you'd like.

• Like 2

Thanks everyone, keep em coming!

I think anything with beans; I make hummus, white bean dip, and black bean dips frequently. I rarely use tahini in my dips for both cost and flavor reasons. I make big batches of beans from dried and freeze them in 1-2 cup portions for dips. I use lemon juice for flavoring, fresh herbs if I haven't killed the latest bunch in my garden, and occasionally dried spices.

A really unusual and fancy appetizer I make is cheddar crisps with roasted grape "chutney". It's basically shredded cheddar (from a block) baked in circle-ish crisps, and roasted red grapes chopped with a little raw red onion; salt, pepper and fresh parsley to tast are nice additions. I can post a real "recipe" later if you'd like.

How do you roast the grapes?

Salsa with grated WIC cheese melted into it plus tortilla chips.  (Can make your own from WIC tortillas (at least I got these in NY).

Deviled eggs.  

Homemade hummus or white bean dip... easy to make from a can of beans (WIC approved)....with carrots or pita chips.  Can leave out the tahini.

For roasting the grapes, halve a pound of red grapes, toss with salt, pepper, and I tsp of oil. Roast at 400 degrees for 25 min.

I then toss them with another tbsp or two of oil and about 1/4 diced red onion and diced celery. Minced garlic and/or minced jalepeno are also nice, but I usually skip them bc my kids think raw garlic and jalepenos are too "spicy".

This is nutsy good despite the fact that it sounds yucky.

Take white bread.  Yes, it has to be white bread.  The one with the balloons on the package, cheapie white bread.

Use a cutter to cut rounds of it out, small ones, two or three per slice only.  No crust.  A small biscuit cutter or a shot glass is about the right size.  You want them small.  Toast in a toaster oven on one side.

Take a big Costco white onion.  Yellow also works.  Chop it VERY fine, 1/8-1/4 inch dice.  Mix with an equal amount of full fat Best Foods (AKA Hellman's) Mayonnaise.  Spread quite thickly onto the untoasted side of the rounds.  Broil until the mayo melts and the bread starts to turn brown at the edges.  Serve to wild applause.

I know this sounds as gross as can be, but these are so so so good.  And no one can ever figure out what is in them. 

A variation is to put a teeny bit of that green can parmesan on top before broiling.

See, I told you they were cheap.

Edited by Carol in Cal.
  • Like 1

Taco roll ups

1 can refried beans

1 packet taco.seasoning mix

1 8oz cream cheese, softened

Mix all together. Spread on flour tortillas. Sprinkle with finely shredded yellow cheese. Roll up. Chill and cut I to pin wheels

Easy to make with Aldi or store brand ingredients