Menu

Leaving public school, looking for math/grammar/writing program help!

lindsey

New here. :) I've been Googling and reading Amazon reviews for days, and finally decided to come ask the experts.

We're looking to start HSing next year, when our older kids will be in 3rd and 1st grades. They are currently in public school.

Math: Our district follows 'Common Core' standards, and I'm hoping to find a HS math program that goes along with that. They've done well with it and seem to enjoy it, and I guess I'd rather they continue in case we don't continue HSing throughout high school--I don't want them to be lost re-entering the PS system. What are my options? I've tried Googling this and found one blog that listed what programs do and don't align, but there wasn't much information beyond that (like to what degree they 'align,' how people like the program, etc).

Grammar: When I first read TWTM I got it from the library, and later bought an older version at a used bookstore. My older version recommends English for the Thoughtful Child, then G.U.M. for older kids. The newer one recommended something else...something by the authors of TWTM. First Language Lessons, I think it was called? I know my older son has studied basic grammar a little in school, but I honestly don't know how much he knows. Is it likely he'd be ready to start at his 'grade level' in either one of these programs? Which do people like best? I'm very overwhelmed by this decision for some reason.

Writing: Writing Strands or Writing with Ease? He's a really good reader and kind of a lazy/bare minimum writer (not that he has trouble writing or doesn't have a lot to say, he just tends to rush and write as little as possible to 'pass' the assignment :P ). He's never done dictation, as far as I know, and probably not much copywork, either. Should we start with the younger materials, or move right into the typical 3rd grade books while also doing dictation on the side? (He also does not and will not learn cursive in school, so we are starting that this summer.)

Sort of related--thoughts on Spectrum books? I visited our local teacher store this morning and got some Spectrum spelling books that seemed nice. They have them for just about every subject, including 'Language Arts' (which covers grammar among other things) and 'Writing.' Do folks like these books? The math ones seem small/light on the drill, but the spelling one seems pretty nice.

Thank you!!!

ETA: His reading level at school is Q/R. He's reading the third Harry Potter book now, for an idea of those abilities.

Edited by lindsey

Hey, welcome!  You are probably going to get a lot of responses since there are many great programs out there.  Just accept right off the bat that it may take some time for you to find what really works for your family.  Homeschooling allows you that flexibility, though.  In a public school the child is stuck with whatever material they are using, whether they really learn well with it or not.  With homeschooling you have quite a few options.  Are you part of any homeschooling groups yet?  If not, I recommend contacting them and getting to know them now.  Local homeschoolers can show you what they are using.  Seeing the material in real life may help.  I also highly recommend you and your husband going to a homeschooling convention.  Go to a big one if possible.  They usually have a large selection of materials to look at.  

I recommend that whatever you buy, buy small at first if possible, until you see whether it works for you or not.  For example, some people read up on a program, think it sounds like the perfect fit, then buy the main program, all the supplements, all the workbooks, etc. sight unseen.  They spend a fortune, get it home, try it for a few months (or weeks or even just days) and discover it is a terrible fit and reduces the whole family to tears.  

For math that aligns with Common Core, I understand your concerns in case you need to put your kids back in school but honestly that will probably end up being a secondary consideration.  Different kids are going to learn math more effectively with different programs.  Some programs focus more on procedural math, others on conceptual math.  Some programs are more spiral in approach and others work more to mastery.  You may have to try out different ones until you find a good fit not only for how your kids learn but also how you teach.  

For instance, I love Math In Focus.  It is a great conceptual, mastery math program.  It also aligns with Common Core.  However, my daughter did abysmally with this program.  She couldn't function with a mastery/conceptually based program.  My son did better and we both enjoyed certain aspects but I found that both kids actually did better with a spiral program like CLE, and using some of the MiF word problems and Beast Academy as a supplement.  We have tried many math programs over the years, by the way.  There are a ton of really good ones.  Just start slow.  Ease into this or you may overwhelm yourself.

I also recommend that you not try to implement 7-8 things at once.  Stick with the 3 Rs at first, plus something really interest led until you get your sea legs, so to speak.  A frequent rookie homeschooling mistake is to try to squeeze in every available cool looking thing or panic that you are not doing enough academically and slam your kids with a zillion things to do right out of the starting gate (looking at myself here :) ).

• Like 1

Thank you! I definitely need to find a bookmark of abbreviations somewhere, lol. But a few things--we usually do week day math review and reading over summer break, so we'll continue that this summer. AND I'm having weekly 'camps' for them, learning about different science/history topics (because real camps are sports camps or super expensive Lego camps, le sigh). I'm hoping these things will help us transition to schooling at home full-time in the fall! Because yes, doing it all at once would surely lead to disaster. :P 

I just deactivated my FB account for a few weeks (house needs more attention, lol), but before I did so I requested to join a couple of local groups. Most locals I know personally who HS actually unschool, but my sister and I are more similar in our plans (she also has a rising 1st grader), so we've been chatting a lot. She's doing a more relaxed system though, not a big math curriculum plan but workbooks on this and that. And just copywork and reading, no spelling or grammar focus at this time. 

New here. :) I've been Googling and reading Amazon reviews for days, and finally decided to come ask the experts.

We're looking to start HSing next year, when our older kids will be in 3rd and 1st grades. They are currently in public school.

Math: Our district follows 'Common Core' standards, and I'm hoping to find a HS math program that goes along with that. They've done well with it and seem to enjoy it, and I guess I'd rather they continue in case we don't continue HSing throughout high school--I don't want them to be lost re-entering the PS system. What are my options? I've tried Googling this and found one blog that listed what programs do and don't align, but there wasn't much information beyond that (like to what degree they 'align,' how people like the program, etc).

Grammar: When I first read TWTM I got it from the library, and later bought an older version at a used bookstore. My older version recommends English for the Thoughtful Child, then G.U.M. for older kids. The newer one recommended something else...something by the authors of TWTM. First Language Lessons, I think it was called? I know my older son has studied basic grammar a little in school, but I honestly don't know how much he knows. Is it likely he'd be ready to start at his 'grade level' in either one of these programs? Which do people like best? I'm very overwhelmed by this decision for some reason.

Writing: Writing Strands or Writing with Ease? He's a really good reader and kind of a lazy/bare minimum writer (not that he has trouble writing or doesn't have a lot to say, he just tends to rush and write as little as possible to 'pass' the assignment :p ). He's never done dictation, as far as I know, and probably not much copywork, either. Should we start with the younger materials, or move right into the typical 3rd grade books while also doing dictation on the side? (He also does not and will not learn cursive in school, so we are starting that this summer.)

Sort of related--thoughts on Spectrum books? I visited our local teacher store this morning and got some Spectrum spelling books that seemed nice. They have them for just about every subject, including 'Language Arts' (which covers grammar among other things) and 'Writing.' Do folks like these books? The math ones seem small/light on the drill, but the spelling one seems pretty nice.

Thank you!!!

ETA: His reading level at school is Q/R. He's reading the third Harry Potter book now, for an idea of those abilities.

Welcome. :-)

I cannot recommend something that follows Common Core. I don't think that will even be necessary, but who know? Your dc are still young; there's a good chance that by the time they are high school age, educrats will realize they made a big mistake by pushing Common Core, and something else will be popular. o_0

IMHO, it is not necessary for children as young as yours to do formal grammar. If you must, EFTTC is decent.

Writing Strands is my favorite; you would only do it with your older dc.

Spectrum materials are good to fill in, but I wouldn't use them for the long haul.

• Like 2

This question is actually a lot harder than you might think.  There are dozens of math programs and dozens of writing programs and dozens of grammar programs. 

Each program has pros and cons.  Each program works for different kinds of kids.  Some are great for ADHD kids, some are great for kids who like to sit still, some are great for kids who have strengths in that subject, some are great for kids who have weaknesses in that subject.

The issue for you right now is to start gathering the names of different curriculums.  You need to know what the names of the math curriculums even are:  Math U See, Singapore Math, Math Mammoth, Beast Academy, and the list goes on and on and on.  You'll need to gather the names of each type of curric for all the subjects you want to teach.  (Math, reading, science, history, writing, spelling, grammar...IF you even want to teach all those.)

One way to start gathering names of curric, is to go to the FORUMS tab at the top, find the forum called K-8 Curriculum board and search for "math" "grammar" etc.

Once you actually know the names of the available curriculums out there, you can then start searching for threads about those.  So instead of searching for "math" search for "aops". 

Sometimes I find it easier to go to google and search "welltrainedmind spelling power".  If you type "welltrainedmind" and then what you're searching for, threads come up that way as well.

Once you know the names of the different choices (and the choices are legion), and have read a bit about each one by searching, you can then start separate threads for any questions you have.  You'll get much better feedback from people here if you have specific questions.  It's almost impossible for us as a group to tell you, "Use this math curric to follow common core."  There are soooo many math choices that follow common core standards.  You'll need to narrow it down more than that.

Yes, it's lot of work, so only do this for a few subjects at a time. 

And like Ellie said (above), you might decide that at 1st and 3rd grade they don't need an official "grammar" program at all.  Or maybe you feel they do!  You'll get a wide range of opinions about how to teach each subject. 

I'm going to send you a private message of something that I think will really help you get started.

I was saying all the above because you might not get a lot of responses with such a broad question.  :)

• Like 1

It's good to know holding off on grammar is okay while we get situated and check out different programs--I really need to find a convention, because I feel like I'm getting nowhere reading reviews online but not seeing inside the books! Years ago when I was first starting to look into things, I familiarized myself some with Saxon, Math-U-See, and A Beka, but then I didn't think about it for several years, so it all sort of zapped out of mind. :/ Will try to come up with more specific questions with some hunting on the board, I have nothing to compare to but the Go! Math booklets my kids work with at school. 

• Like 1

I highly recommend NOT bothering to find something that fits Common Core. 

When my oldest kids were starting school, math followed "Goals 2000"... then it changed to "No Child Left Behind"... now it's "Common Core"...

Now my kids are in college, and none of that "education-eze blather" mattered one bit.  All of those changes occurred in ONE K-12 educational lifetime.

Just find a solid, time-proven math program and stick with it.  They'll be fine.

I wish I knew what the schools expected--like, if they go back in middle or high school and can do the math, but in a different way...is that going to count against them? Currently they are expected to solve things in certain ways and to show their work. Even now, in second grade, it is mind-numbingly repetitive or over-simplified sometimes. But in 7th grade, are the expected to solve problems that way? At what point can they just...get the dang answer right, any which way?! Gah. So frustrating. 

Related to college, our district won't give diplomas to homeschooled kids, unless they attend the high school for the last three...semesters or years, I forget. I haven't even begun to look into what that means for our/their future. I have a lot of exploring to do on the boards, it seems. 

Thanks for the help so far!

I wish I knew what the schools expected--like, if they go back in middle or high school and can do the math, but in a different way...is that going to count against them? Currently they are expected to solve things in certain ways and to show their work. Even now, in second grade, it is mind-numbingly repetitive or over-simplified sometimes. But in 7th grade, are the expected to solve problems that way? At what point can they just...get the dang answer right, any which way?! Gah. So frustrating. 

Related to college, our district won't give diplomas to homeschooled kids, unless they attend the high school for the last three...semesters or years, I forget. I haven't even begun to look into what that means for our/their future. I have a lot of exploring to do on the boards, it seems. 

Thanks for the help so far!

With regards to what a school would expect if you put your kids back in, that may change several times before it even became an issue.  Honestly, the schools shift and change on a dime.  Most of my family are teachers.  Things are changing way more now than they ever have before.

As for getting a High School diploma, at least in my state I am the one that issues the diploma if my kids pass what I expect them to pass and to what level I expect.  Now, unless I want to do my kids a disservice I need to keep in mind what skills they will need as adults and what skills/knowledge is going to be expected of them to get into a college that can help them in their career goals, but as homeschoolers I issue the diploma, not the local school district.  Would that be the same for your state?

• Like 1

I think so? I guess I just didn't realize colleges admitted students without high school diplomas. Like from a school...I obviously have a lot to learn on the topic, but then again, my oldest is 7. :p

I went to my first homeschool convention in 1983. My children were just 4 and 7. The only workshops I went to all day were about how to get your children through high school. :-)

In most states, you will issue your own diploma. And most colleges accept parent-issued diplomas and transcripts.

• Like 1

I think so? I guess I just didn't realize colleges admitted students without high school diplomas. Like from a school...I obviously have a lot to learn on the topic, but then again, my oldest is 7. :p

If you don't mind sharing, what state are you in?  We can help you find the homeschooling laws.  I could be surprised, but I'm pretty sure that most states don't issue diplomas for homeschoolers.  Homeschooling teachers/parents usually issue diplomas for their students.  I could be wrong, of course.  But if you tell us your state, we can point you to the laws and help you understand them if you need the help.

Whatever you do, read the laws for yourself and don't just listen to what other people tell you.  And be careful about asking the school for information because the public schools are versed in their laws but not in homeschooling laws.  Sometimes they give out incorrect information--whether on purpose to be stinkers or by completely innocent accident.  Read the law for yourself.

Edited by Garga
  • Like 2

I think that NY State colleges give homeschoolers a hassle, but I don't think many others do.  Colleges know that there are lots and lots of well-educated homeschooled kids out there.  They accept a homeschool diploma. 

Once you get your kids to the to the high school level, you'll find that things like SAT scores or AP test scores (nationwide tests for certain subjects--the student studies an AP chemistry course, for example, and then takes the test) or Duel Enrollment (where high school students take classes at the local college) or other outside classes can help colleges to know that your kid has been learning something at home.

But some people don't do much of any of that.  Maybe just the SAT test and colleges are still quite happy to admit them.  Still, it's good to check your state laws.

Or if you're really interested and want to take the time, look on college websites and see what they require from homeschool students.  Or call your local community college.  They'll tell you what they accept.  Though you have many, many years before then to find out everything you need to know about college.

• Like 1

I didn't read all the posts. It sounds like you have a 1st edition TWTM. Whatever you do, do not throw it away for a newer edition. Each edition has its strenghts and weaknesses. I'm not sure TWTM 1st will be your go-to book this first year, but just trust this oldschooler that you do not want to DISCARD it for something newer! Tuck it away if need be.

Welcome!!!

• Like 3

Thank you so much, everyone! We're in Ohio. I feel so much better about that particular concern! Just can be overwhelming for a beginnet. Of course it makes total sense to look at local colleges' requirements. :P I guess it's sort of like schools giving you trouble about vaccine requirements, when by law they are required to accept exemptions. :P Know what questions to ask and where to ask them! (Don't mean to start a debate there or anything, just was reminded of my experience, heh.)

• Like 3

Thank you so much, everyone! We're in Ohio. I feel so much better about that particular concern! Just can be overwhelming for a beginnet. Of course it makes total sense to look at local colleges' requirements. :p I guess it's sort of like schools giving you trouble about vaccine requirements, when by law they are required to accept exemptions. :p Know what questions to ask and where to ask them! (Don't mean to start a debate there or anything, just was reminded of my experience, heh.)

You've probably already read this but perhaps not...

http://education.ohio.gov/Topics/Quality-School-Choice/Home-Schooling

Also, if you live in Ohio there is a HUGE convention that occurs there every year.  I believe it is this one in Cincinnati and registration is open now:

https://www.greathomeschoolconventions.com/locations/cincinnati-oh/

Definitely go to the convention if you can.  Bring your spouse.  There will be lots of people you can ask questions of, including quite a few Well Trained Minders that post on the forums.  They usually have a gathering while there just to visit.  Keep an eye out for posts regarding that.  Tons of things to do, including for your kids.

If I were just starting and looking for these things, I'd buy a semester of Math Mammoth for each child. It is fairly straightforward, inexpensive, and about as simple as you're gonna get. Its common core aligned as well.

For grammar, I really love FLL. You can enter both your kids at grade level here. FLL 1 and 2 aren't necessary, but it's wonderfully preparatory and 1 is a great snuggle time grammar program.

Peace Hill Press has samples of their writing workbooks on their website.

• Like 2

My boys hit the community college scene as underage freshman wanting to qualify for Federal Pell Grants. That did require diplomas at the time. My oldest had used American School correspondence course. And my younger just took the GED.

But again this was highschool aged children breaking into the adult world early and needing to qualify for federal grants.

There were plenty of dual enrolled children their same age, taking the same classes, but whose mommies and daddies were footing the bill. They didn't need a diploma.

As Onestep said, things keep changing, and they change more frequently now than they did.

Top down planning is one way to do things, but for some families that results in them devoting a disproportionate amount of resources to the things that are the least important and that just go and change anyway.

I started homeschooling in the mid 90's with two middle schoolers. The younger highly/profoundly gifted and some very mild autism. The older socially precocious and not interested in any academics other than business administration.

My younger did weird stuff like do his math in ancient Greek. :lol: i can't believe this website is still here.

http://mysite.du.edu/~etuttle/classics/nugreek/contents.htm#conts

My older broke every child labor law on the books and started working for store credits at 12, and by 14 was working almost full time out on the docks with mostly seasonal workers from Nepal and Tailand, and a boss that didn't know the laws.

I started out trying to outdo the local public school, but we quickly got our own goals and started pursuing them.

Oldschoolers usually had $100.00 a year. The first thing they bought was math. If they had anything left, they bought something for language arts. Many olschool families had no books at all for the first few months if the took the kids out suddenly and just used the library and hodgepodge department storeworkbooks to get started.

They often waited for a convention, and traveled a long distance to get there. Or they settled for delivery from mom and pop catalogs that sometimes took 3 months to deliver.

Everything was slower then. Things didn't change so quickly. In many ways it was a lot easier.

Modern moms are spending so much more time and money and not accomplishing more.

And everything keeps changing.

The lucky moms are those that are trend setters with some unique vision and have no interest in what the mainstream are doing never mind copying them or trying to outdo them. They seem steadier and happier.

You might accomplish the most by not trying to predict college and dealing with what is right in your face now. You might. Nothing is a guarantee. Unless you are one of those trendsetters, expect to cry yourself to sleep in fear on a regular basis. We all do/did.

• Like 1

Welcome!

Take your time and read, read, read. These boards are a gold mine of resources, insight and experience!

If you will begin next fall with a 3rd and a 1st grader, you have plenty of time and schooling with early elementary needn't be super complicated. Start simple and then add and tailor as you go.

Consider the big picture, what are your goals for your kids for the year? Academics are only a part of their overall growth and education. Are you definitely a classical educator or are there other approaches which intrigue you? If your philosphy of education is clear, you will find it easier to make curriculum choices.

A few of things I did that really helped when we were getting started:

I kept a spiral notebook with notes from all the education and homeschooling books I read to help my process my thoughts and remember. In that notebook, I journaled my thoughts about curriculum as I went along, writing out my reasoning, my questions and my observations.

I found some homeschooling friends and observed their school day and looked carefully at their books and resources. Find out why a person uses (or doesn't use) a particular curriculum. What about the teacher, the students, the circumstances, the family as whole, make that a good or a poor choice for them?

I am only in my sixth year homeschooling, but I wouldn't bother with common core for all the reasons pp have listed. Home education is a whole different paradigm. Don't compare your homeschool to a classroom. Apples and oranges.

We love 1st language lessons. 1st grade is simple and quick but enjoyable. Writing with Ease is also a nice program. You might start with level 2 for the 3rd grader. Many people use is one grade behind.

If your kids won't be heading back to school before junior high or high school try not to worry too much about common core alignment. Several popular programs did align with common core but they are very different from one another. To see what I'm talking about look at samples of Beast Academy and Math Mammoth. Both are common core aligned but they are different. We use Singapore math the Standards edition. They have a new common core aligned edition but I heard that it has taken away much of the review. The other piece of the puzzle is that you need to do the placement test for which ever math program you choose. Don't worry if your child places a touch behind. You can catch up and probably will. It is more important to teach your children at the level they are at. My children did take the common core aligned test last year after using nonaligned material and they did fine. (They were part of a homeschool charter)

Welcome!

I'll throw out some thoughts.

Math in Focus is a strong math program and will line up well with the school system if he ever returns. In fact, some schools use it. I used it never intending to send my kids to school. Its good. You don't need the teacher's manuals for the elementary grades, and you can often buy books second hand on amazon and new from CBD or Rainbow Resources. You won't be able to see MIF at conventions though.

I like WWE (Writing With Ease)  for writing at the young ages. It's completely different than school based writing expectations though. I think school based expectations are developmentally inappropriate for most kids. But if you want to keep on a school compatible track, I would look at Essentials in Writing or grade level books by Empowering Writers. Essentials in Writing is made for homeschool use and includes grade level grammar as well. Empowering Writers is made for schools and does include some grammar. I've used both at home though. I did use WWE in the early grades. I would probably pick a different direction in 3rd grade though, particularly if I felt the child might be returning to school.

I think you can skip grammar for now if you want. If you do want to start young, First Language Lessons (FLL) is a good choice. I think it's probably too repetitive for 3rd grade. I liked the grammar parts of MCT language arts, but it's a different approach and pricey. CLE LA, if you don't mind a religious standpoint/bible verse here and there, is solid in grammar and is independent. My son is learning a lot.

I used HWOT cursive, but now I'm using Getty Dubay italic cursive. It looks much nicer, and I think it's a quick/efficient type of writing.

Edited by sbgrace

Thanks sooo much for the replies. I didn't get on much this weekend so I am just seeing the last few. For FLL, I'm on Amazon and see the workbooks and teacher books separate (except I don't see a teacher book for level 1). Necessary to get the teacher books? (Nvmd, found the answer in a review!) There's also a combined 1 and 2 that seems to be an older version.

You know, I never really realized that math curriculum in schools changed so often--I certainly don't remember disruptions in my schooling as a kid, and we moved a lot and went to different districts and always did fine. I only ever remember hearing about CC, lol...because so many dislike it (well, and I finally had a kid in school and fell in with that crowd. So it's good to know that we will probably be fine choosing whatever program we want to try, regardless of its degree of alignment. :)

As far as returning to school--that's sort of the area where my husband and I are in much disagreement, and it's mostly just the 'newness' of the idea for him. He just doesn't imagine the kids will *want* to be home in the older grades. So I don't necessarily plan on them going back to public school, but it's always a possibility? Idk. Trying to not get too far ahead of myself. :)

Edited by lindsey

Welcome!!  

I was/am a very eclectic homeschool mom - I just chose what I think would work for my kiddos & pretty much stuck with it for years.  I kept the same math, reading, and science curriculum throughout their entire elementary years.  It wasn't the most popular or the most expensive (by a long shot), but it worked for us.  It may take quite a bit of researching, but hopefully once you see it, you'll know.  

My hubby was only on board for Kindergarten...at first.  Our oldest is a freshman in college - admitted with a Mom-issued diploma.  Maybe your hubby will come around eventually like mine did.  

Good luck - you've found the right place for answers!!!  

We like Christian Light Education and K12 for the fun stuff (history, science, art, music) because, for our family (after more than 10 years of trying everything else in existence), this combo works for us.

The most important advice I have ever been given is the best curriculum is the one that gets done and done consistantly. That is going to look different for you than it does for anyone else and that is okay.

If you go with CLE, it is important to have your kiddos take the free placement tests and START WHERE THEY PLACE. CLE is advanced and easy to accelerate, should you feel the need. Do not skip anything in the booklets, though, as the program very much builds on itself. All the practice is needed for kids to get the information in their heads.

Edited by Paradox

Ohhhh definitely WWE . when wtm was written, she hadn't put out WWE . it's relatively new.

My older ones used writing strands.

I'd I had WWE then I would have done that.

As they get older you could combine them. WWE gives such a good foundation . image in the mind....then do some writing strands if you want.

My older ones hated writing strands BUT they have great college GPA's. So it worked.

When I started homeschooling, I was overwhelmed with information...so we all feel what you are! Just a couple of things to check out. Go to Cathy Duffy reviews website and read some thorough reviews on curriculum. If you want to dig deeper, buy her latest book, 102 Top Picks where she outlines learning styles and helps you get things straight in your mind.

Just a couple of curriculum ideas for you...Math Mammoth - she gives tons of free samples and a lot of support. For language arts, research Institute For Excellence in Writing...www.iew dot com. They also offer a ton of support and a money back guarantee when you buy from them. Getting great deals on new curriculum, go to rainbow resource and for used, go to homeschoolclassifieds dot com.

When we left ps, my girls were in 6th, 3rd, and 2nd. My younger two had great success with Math Mammoth, First Language Lessons, and Writing with Ease. We, also, enjoyed (and still do) the Story of the World for social studies. We used the library and Brainpop, Jr. for science. We have recently started using RSO science but have not used it long enough to form a solid opinion of it, yet. Good luck in making your choices; it can be so overwhelming getting started.

When we were getting started, the Cathy Duffy book was a very real help to me. I still go back - sometimes every year - to the first few sections where she walks you through figuring out your teaching style and your philosophy of education and your kids' learning styles to refresh myself on "what is my real purpose here again?"

I usually use these boards and The Well Trained Mind for curriculum questions and research and "nuts and bolts" type stuff now, but I will always appreciate how that book made me feel like "yes, I can do this crazy thing"

:lol:

• Like 1

What works for me might not work for your child but I can share what we've used....

When dd was in 1st, we did My Father's World 1st Grade program which included all subjects (Bible, Lang, Math, history, art, music, handicrafts). It focused on the ancient world thorough the Old and New Testament. Loved it! The math was a lot more hands on and less formal but none the less covered 1st grade basics in math. The Lang arts taught reading through phonics---there was a Bible Reader, Bible Notebook (narration) and phonics workbook.

For 3rd this year, we are using for Lang Arts---

Rod and Staff Spelling by Sound and Structure grade 3

Explode the Code books 6-8

Cursive Connections

Language Lessons for Today (grammar CM style)

I also teach composition through journaling in our History notebook and science journal. We sometimes do other Lang arts type stuff related to the chapter book we're reading.

I have dd read for about 30 minutes a day --- 15 min free reading and 15 min "book basket"---books at her level related to what we're learning in science, history, art, music, etc.

For math we have been using Singapore Math.

I also agree for 1st I would not do grammar.

If you aren't interested in an all inclusive program like mfw, I would suggest...

Explode the Code series (test online to see where he's at)

Handwriting Without Tears

Bob Books or easy readers from the library

The Complete Book of Math 1-2 or another type of math workbook for grade 1

Hi, and welcome!

The choices for curriculum now are overwhelming! I suggest starting with the recommendations in TWTM and seeing which of those you think will best for you guys. Or start with Cathy Duffy's book 102 Top Picks for Homeschool Curriculum. It walks you through what philosophy of education you would fit, and then the best curriculum that matches your philosophy for each subject. In the link in my signature is my blog; there I wrote our "homeschooling journey," and shared some of my thoughts and findings on different curriculum that I researched and what I liked or didn't like about them. I'll just direct you there rather the retyping all that out here! I like these forums for personal users reviews and TWTM and Cathy Duffy for general helpful info md reviews.