Menu

Need gift ideas for my mom, please!

indigomama

We are in the middle of a big move, and I don't have much time for shopping. I also have very little brain space left and can not think of what to get my mom. I need some ideas, please. She usually requests I make something for her, but I just don't have the time this year.

She:

*is in her 50's, active, still works full time

*likes gardening/plants

*likes fluff novels

*is not girly (no make-up, perfume, etc)

*wants a hobby, but doesn't know what

So, based on the above description of her, does anyone have any ideas?

Can you make food when you're making food for your family. I making soup and freezing portions for my mom and mil. Neither of them like to cook at all.

We are moving across country the week before Christmas, I won't have a kitchen or time. Plus, she's a good cook :) Maybe, I should ask her for that for my Christmas present.

Does she have a kindle?  Depending upon how much money you want to spend, you could give her Kindle Unlimited.  Some of the adult coloring books?

I've thought about a Kindle, but she is NOT very good with any kind of electronics, and therefore doesn't use them much. She bought a computer and kept it in a box for months before giving it to a friend! 

But, maybe I could preload it with books for her. Thanks, I'll keep that in mind.

What about one of those electronic picture frames, preloaded with a bunch of family photos to rotate between?

Since she likes to garden, is there something that would enhance her yard that she wouldn't buy for herself?  Maybe a hummingbird feeder, or one of those big ceramic vases that you can coil up a hose in to get it out of sight but leave it functional, or some of those decorative stakes with verdigris butterflies or frogs at the top?  Maybe a sundial?  A worm composter?

• Like 1

What about one of those electronic picture frames, preloaded with a bunch of family photos to rotate between?

Since she likes to garden, is there something that would enhance her yard that she wouldn't buy for herself?  Maybe a hummingbird feeder, or one of those big ceramic vases that you can coil up a hose in to get it out of sight but leave it functional, or some of those decorative stakes with verdigris butterflies or frogs at the top?  Maybe a sundial?  A worm composter?

Some great ideas, thank you! 

Contigo coffee mugs (Costco 2-pack, everyone gets one at Christmas here!)

Teas or coffees

Ktgrok's book :D

Nice slippers

Good socks (Costco's wool blend ones rock)

High quality hand lotion, maybe one for gardeners

Throw for snuggling under while reading, monogrammed if she'd like that. Again, Costco has one that gets really good reviews.

• Like 3

She might. Do you have a place you like to buy them from?

I bought a pair of the slippers for my always-cold MIL from Sonoma Lavender (sorry can't link on the iPad). I picked them locally in that area, but I'm pretty sure they offer their products on Amazon as well. My DH bought me a lap blanket and in the winter I warm it up and slip it into bed before turning in to warm the sheets. Heavenly! :)

• Like 1

Complete collection  of BBC's "Rosemary and Thyme" tv show. 

If she likes tea, a collection of loose tea with a teapot.

A membership to her local arboretum. 

A garden bench, plow and hearth have an assortment.

solar lights or lanterns for outside in her garden, Plow and Hearth have some pretty ones.

• Like 1

I ordered some "seed bombs" from the Polleneers website for gifts for gardeners. Linen bags with small balls of dried compost with seeds fro perennials that bees and butterflies love. They do these state/growing zone specific.

Does she like birding? A good birdfeeder and bird guide? Goes well with gardening.

Anything from Gardener's Supply catalog? Or a gift certificate from there?

Fluffy novels: If she likes the Mitford books, there is a new one out.

If all else fails, my all-purpose gift is pears from Harry and David. Healthy, consumable andeasy to order! Cheese or chocolate are nice too.

If she likes to cook, Williams-Sonoma is a good place to shop. Their catalog only has a few things and pricey ones, but the store is full of small but useful things.

• Like 1

Contigo coffee mugs (Costco 2-pack, everyone gets one at Christmas here!)

Teas or coffees

Ktgrok's book :D

Nice slippers

Good socks (Costco's wool blend ones rock)

High quality hand lotion, maybe one for gardeners

Throw for snuggling under while reading, monogrammed if she'd like that. Again, Costco has one that gets really good reviews.

Ha! Thanks for the shout out. If she does like that style of romance I'm having to mail out a signed bookplate to stick in it, if you'd like. 

But if you could teach her to use a kindle...those are magical. A paperwhite isn't hard to use, and older people (and me) love being able to enlarge the font.