Menu

Could you list the math combo that you use?

snickelfritz

I have chosen to do Singapore and Miquon. I chose Singapore because it was very important to me that the program we use teaching mental math. Also it has worked well for us. I added Miquon for more practice and because the two programs really compliment each other well. We did just a page a day, but that didn't really work, so we switched to lining the two programs up, but that took away the discovery aspect of Miquon. So now we have Miquon fridays and do Singapore the other 4 days. Every once in awhile I throw in a totally different worksheet from the net to make sure that she is really understanding math. I don't know if this answers what you were asking, but there it is!

We've used MUS from K and are now in Algebra. We supplemented for several years with Singapore's Challenging Word Problems because MUS is weak in word problems. We used CWP 4-6. I wish I had started earlier though.

This year, we are using MUS Algebra and LoF Algebra. I'm not sure which is our main program. We're doing both.

For our K, we're using Modern Curriculum Press (MCP) Math Level K, and the book list from LivingMath.net to practice and really help ds understand the concepts.

We use MCP math for the sequential mastery of materials (good basic program), and Living Math for the wonder for and to show why and how we use math in daily life.

So they're not programs perse, but I consider Living Math to be an excellent supplement to any math curriculum, especially in the early grades.

Next year, in first, we'll be using MCP Math and Miquon. MCP for the basic, sequential mastery approach coupled with mental math, and Miquon for the discovery approach and hands-on style.

Singapore Math 5 (w/Intensive Practice and Challenging Word Problems books) - These books are our core and our daily work. They're challenging and I love where they lead us.

Life of Fred: Fractions - For further explanations of concepts and a deeper understanding because I inevitably flub things when I'm trying to explain them.

Your Business Math: Pet Store - For extra practice and because when I told my daughter about it her eyes lit up and she basically begged me to get it. It's basically a fantasy pet store game (they also have sports and book store games) where the kid has to do everything from order stock to pay taxes and all the math in between. This is more for her fun and won't be something I really push.

We're using Singapore and Harcourt workbooks if you can believe that. Dd went to pvt school for 1st grade and wanted workbooks like she had last year. So, after Saxon, Horizon, and even Rod & Staff (too repititious)...we've settled for the above two. I like the idea of singapore because of the mental math component. We also do some speed drills...only they're currently not so speedy...need to work on that.

Paula

edit: we also have workbook 2 of horizons 3, we'll supplement with pages there for other "standardized test things", we also have a homework at home for 2nd grade which introduces other concepts as well. We're kind of going through them as they pertain to the given lesson

Singapore and Horizons.

Singapore teaches the material, explains concepts, develops mathematical thinking. Best for word problems.

Horizons keeps reviewing the stuff you don't want to forget (eg addition and subtraction). It also covers some topics that Singapore doesn't, but that I think will end up on standardized tests at some point.

Both are relatively inexpensive.

Singapore and Horizons.

Singapore teaches the material, explains concepts, develops mathematical thinking. Best for word problems.

Horizons keeps reviewing the stuff you don't want to forget (eg addition and subtraction). It also covers some topics that Singapore doesn't, but that I think will end up on standardized tests at some point.

Both are relatively inexpensive.

Ditto. I'm using Singapore and Horizons for my 4th grader for the exact reasons.

I'm using Horizons and the Key to... books with my 5th grader.

My 4th grader:

MUS & Singapore's CWP for extra word problem practice. I'm making him sit on on younger bro's RightStart lessons as well, as he could use work on conceptual math. He had taken a break from MUS to do TT5, but after the first 28 lessons became confused and asked to do MUS again.

He does best with clear explanations & plenty of practice before moving on to a new concept. RS alone wouldn't have worked for him, but doing it a few levels below grade level (we're using Level C) is really reinforcing some familiar concepts in new ways.

My 3rd grader:

RightStart with Singapore's CWP. He asked to do TT5 for fun, too, and is really enjoying it so far. I hadn't planned on adding TT for him, though. I figure it can't hurt. :D

My preK dd: RightStart A & Singapore Early Bird 1A. We don't do this every day. She really wants to do lessons & both of these programs are pretty gentle.

Kelsy

For my younger two, it's been Singapore plus MUS most of the time.

When we started, we used Saxon as recommended in the first edition of WTM (I was determined to follow WTM to the letter), but it was a poor fit for my now 10 yo. She's very visual spatial, so we tried MUS. Loved it in many ways, but it wasn't math enough for her, and I heard great things about Singapore on the old AL board. It's worked well for her, as sometimes Mr. Demme teaches it just the right way for her, sometimes SM, sometimes I have some other way. A couple of times MUS has confused her rather than taught her, as has SM.

This spring we added CWP, which I love--ds loves it. Dd hates it, but she hates turning math into language and needs to. It took her a long time to get the hang of regular word problems, which she can do now, but the challenging ones really challenge her, especially with the diagrams.

My eldest did Saxon, which I don't like, and is now doing a combination of Gelfand's Algebra & the 1965 Dolciani Algebra I (high school one.)

I currently use Singapore alongside MUS. I started it last year to give him some extra drill work with multiplication, and then division this year. After this year, I'll be using some of the Key to.... series books for extra drill work alongside Singapore. In my opinion, Singapore just does the best job of teaching children how to think mathematically, how to do word type problems, etc.

Maybe add a SHORT blurb (a few words to a sentence) about why you picked each one to go with the other. I'm mulling around some options and trying to see if there's something I haven't thought of.

I would do a poll to keep it visually simple, but I don't think I could do enough options.

I use Saxon (one year ahead of the child's "grade level".) We also use Singapore's CWP (one year behind the Saxon level we're using).

I usually throw in some type of math manipulative I can find that relates to the subject we're learning for fun and better understanding.

We use Singapore and A Beka.

You've read a zillion reasons for Singapore, so I won't repeat them here. :001_smile:

I like A Beka because it is colorful, extremely thorough, and teaches in a "traditional" way. It is excellent to combine it with Singapore which is black and white, skimpy on "extra" exercises, and emphasizing mental math.

hth!