Menu

Men's shaving/facial products

PeachyDoodle

Lol, I don't know what 'metrosexual' has to do with anything, but my teenage son really enjoys using a safety razor for shaving and it saves an absolute fortune over disposables. Plus, he likes having a nice tool for shaving, it feels hefty in his hand. And he looks like a tough guy in an old movie when he shaves, lol. Well, except that my ds is a long way from tough. But it does have a certain amount of manly flair to it.

http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B000NL0T1G?keywords=safety%20razor&qid=1447382243&ref_=sr_1_2&s=hpc&sr=1-2

And yes, Cremo is a great shaving cream. 

Or  you could get a cup and shaving soap and a nice brush.  They have a learning curve, but it can't be too difficult.

• Like 4

Go have a look at Badger and Blade website - there are some men there who are passionate about shaving, and they are very helpful.  I would suggest a nice badger and a luxurious shaving cream or soap (DH likes TOBS Sandalwood) and a good double edge razor for starters (we got DH a few nice vintage razors).  DH naysayed these things for years until DS and I finally just got them for him anyway for Father's Day. I am fairly certain he will never go back to cartridge razors and (horrors!) canned shaving cream. 

Badger & Blade

For blades.

• Like 2

My son's love their safety razors, and that's what I'm giving Dsil's for his bd. And an assortment of blades to try. Also, a shave brush and soap. Ds likes sandalwood. He took a latte cup to mix them up in

DH now uses disposables and refuses to go back. That's how long he's been shaving.

• Like 2

Go have a look at Badger and Blade website - there are some men there who are passionate about shaving, and they are very helpful.  I would suggest a nice badger and a luxurious shaving cream or soap (DH likes TOBS Sandalwood) and a good double edge razor for starters (we got DH a few nice vintage razors).  DH naysayed these things for years until DS and I finally just got them for him anyway for Father's Day. I am fairly certain he will never go back to cartridge razors and (horrors!) canned shaving cream. 

Badger & Blade

For blades.

Getting on to B&B could cost one some $$$. Some of those guys have serious acquisition issues. Fair warning.

The link includes some really excellent double-edged blades. Only the Astra and Derby blades are rubbish (IMO). The rest are among the best in existence. Impressive.

Bill

• Like 2

DH likes a safety razor as well, although he doesn't always use it. (He shaves his head, and there are sometimes speed wins out over quality). He does like the art of shaving soaps with a nice brush. I think he likes the shaving cream too but he "saves it" for special occaisions because he's strange. For every day he uses soap. 

• Like 1

I'm thrilled to see young men using safety razors. Well done Redsquirrel and Gardenmom5!

Bill (a fan of the double-edge)

I can't take credit.  2ds is the one who asked for supplies for christmas last year - and he's the one that got dsil interested in a set for his birthday this month. but that does remind me I still need to get a big cup/bowl for him to mix his soap.

I can't take credit. 2ds is the one who asked for supplies for christmas last year - and he's the one that got dsil interested in a set for his birthday this month. but that does remind me I still need to get a big cup/bowl for him to mix his soap.

Yes, but your hand rocked the cradle :d

Bill

• Like 1

Dollar Shave Club has a product that DH likes - Dr Carver's Shave Butter, or something like that.  Blue tube.  Good stuff.  I use it, too.

Looks similar to the Cremo linked above.

If they made a women's set they'd triple their sales.  Just saying.  The stuff is awesome and I adore their blades.  But I want a pink razor handle - DH is sick of me stealing his.

• Like 2

Wow... I had no idea this was so complicated! :)

DH has sensitive skin and is still prone to breakouts if he doesn't have the "right" razor. It took him a long time to find one that worked for him. He has used the Gillette Fusion for several years and that seems to work well. I'm not sure if he would switch, but would a nice safety razor be better for sensitive skin than the drug-store cartridge variety? How on earth do I know what kind to pick?

Wow... I had no idea this was so complicated! :)

DH has sensitive skin and is still prone to breakouts if he doesn't have the "right" razor. It took him a long time to find one that worked for him. He has used the Gillette Fusion for several years and that seems to work well. I'm not sure if he would switch, but would a nice safety razor be better for sensitive skin than the drug-store cartridge variety? How on earth do I know what kind to pick?

Yes, a safety razor would probably solve the problem. DH has the same type of skin and it has been much happier since he relinquished his cartridge razor. If you look at B&B there is probably a sticky that explains why. As for what to pick, just type in what you wrote here over there and people will supply you with a shopping list. They are to shaving what WTM forums are to homeschooling. Except they are a lot more intense. ;)

• Like 1

DH uses Truefitt and Hill's Trafalgar scent cream, and I buy him a bowl every Christmas.  It lasts about 10 months.  

One suggestion: My DH is attached to his rituals, and shaving was/is a biggie.  He needed a conversion experience in the form of a professional shave before the importance of products/tools meant anything to him.  It took one good shave with our local guy, and boom.  Goodbye Barbasol.  LOL!

• Like 1

DH is not really a "metrosexual" kind of guy, but I think he would enjoy a set of nice shaving products (shave cream, moisturizer, aftershave, etc.). I'd like to get him some for Christmas.

Any recommendations?

You have gotten some great recommendations.  Something my DH also enjoys is when I give him a gift certificate for a professional shave at the local barber shop.  He will never spend the money/take the time to treat himself, so the boys and I surprise him with one now and then.

• Like 1

My recommendation for shave soap/cream is Cella Sapone Extra Extra Purisma.

It is an Italian soap that has a pleasant almond/marizan-like smell. It comes in a 1 kg block (that is 2.2lbs). A block of Cella could last a guy 3-4 years. It is about $40 delivered, so an upfront cost. But it is as nice a soap/cream as any of the more "metrosexual" alternatives, at a fraction of the cost. Cella is both luxurious and frugal. The unused block should be kept in an airtight bag in the fridge to preserve the quality.

One needs a brush for this type soap. While there are very fancy $$$$ badger brushes, I think a good quality (and ultra-cheap) boar's hair brush is the way to go. 

Bill

• Like 1