Menu

Quick - Something to listen to on a car trip

Danestress

Does anyone have a recommendation for what my 17-year-old son and I could both enjoy listening to on a long car trip?

He loves science and music. He reads a lot of science fiction but not fantasy. He tends to like things that really engage the mind. The science fiction he most enjoys engage him in bigger ideas, though I am not sure if there is much good a I fi he hasn't already read! I think he would also enjoy something nonfiction about the law.

It doesn't matter if it's a podcast, novel, nonfiction book ... I have an audible account and credit's due. I might down load a book and some pod casts so we have choices.

As for me, I also enjoy science and am a this American Life addict.

This might sound completely silly and too young, but the Harry Potter and the Alex Rider audiobooks are adored by young and old alike for road trips around here.

And I've heard (but not listened to myself yet), that The Immortal Life of Nicholas is amazing.  It wraps the legend of Santa around the life of Jesus.  He starts as one kind of awful person, Jesus changes him, he asks to serve God, is given immortality, and eventually and slowly becomes the Santa figure we know.

Podcasts on any subject you're both interested in are also fun.

Serial!  Season one.  It's by the This American Life people.  There are multiple references to teens smoking pot (yowza--they smoked a lot of pot) and engaging in extra-marital relations, if that's uncomfortable with your 17 yo in the car.  But it includes lots and lots of points for discussion with a 17 year old about all sorts of things.  Also, selfishly, I need more people to listen to it so we can discuss.

• Like 2