Menu

Wait! Remember, remember the fifth of November...

nrg

We spent the morning listening to history videos and readings of the Guy Fawkes poem (without that verse in it). The older 3 worked on memorizing the first two parts for their father. We talked about it for a while. We didn't do fireworks this year - my partner came home from hospital yesterday and is still recovering from severe lung issues - though we saw some through the windows and have been hearing them for weeks.

I'm told the graphic novels of V for Vendetta in getting across the message than the movie that to me seems to miss the point by a few galaxies, but I haven't gotten around to reading them yet. 

I have spent all day quoting the poem at people and getting weird looks. And explaining what an effigy is. And what parliament is. I'm venturing this isn't on anybody's mind but mine in small town Indiana.

Wait! It was on our minds, albeit briefly, in a different (presumably) small town in Indiana. Thank you Garrison Keillor.

• Like 1

DD did-but it's because she follows several UK based herp groups and conservation organizations, and bonfires set up in advance can become shelter for newts, toads, hedgehogs, and so on, so the UK pages have been all about being animal friendly on bonfire night (fireworks and lanterns also have environmental effects that can be negative for wildlife).

Nov 5 brought a small group of people into the downtown area to protest "corporate greed" at places like  Amazon headquarters. 

I had to laugh when I read the article in this morning's newspaper.  Some of the people were wearing Guy Fawkes masks that they purchased online from Amazon!  

http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/protesters-decry-corporate-greed-with-seattle-march/