Menu

May I please poke in here? Nonacademic giftedness.

I'm kind of in a weird position and there's no good place for me to talk, but I've found some solace here now and then.  My ODD is a competitive gymnast.  She is not a phenom, she will never be elite or go to the Olympics, BUT she is very talented, and we're just getting a look at that now.  She has a top-notch coach (not unknown in gym world, but not saying the name because the gym world is TINY) who picked her out of a lineup the first day he saw the team and inquired about a "handful" of girls out of over 40, of which DD was one.  This coach has decades of experience in elite and college gymnastics.  He knows what he's doing.  He is also great at parent communication, and has said many times how beautiful DD's form is, that she is very on track and high potential for Div I or II college gym, and just told her last night she could make L7 regionals "easily."  The AA score required at states for a L7 to make regionals here is at least 37.  I was staggered about the regionals assessment and asked DD if she was sure he said it to HER or to all the girls - he said it to her (not taking anything away from the other girls) because she specifically went up and asked him while the other girls were moving mats elsewhere.

This is a huge deal because while she started gymnastics very young, she didn't start competing until she was 9.  She hasn't skipped any levels at all, and was getting passed over, belittled, and ignored by her first head coach.  

Anyway... I feel like I felt when my younger DD was 4 and started reading in the gym lobby when ODD was in a class.  Like when you go down that first hill on the roller coaster.

:huh:

Thanks for letting me babble on.  I can't really take it to the hardcore gymnastics boards, because there's 20 people there who will say, "Yeah? I've got a 9 year old L10!"  But then it can also get lonely among the regular gym mom crowd.

• Like 11

From what I've seen, some kids aren't stellar compulsory gymnasts but do extremely well in optionals. Sometimes they just take longer to develop, other times they rise to the top through sheer force of will and attrition. The longer DD competes (and she's a newly minted 11yo L6), the more I see that strength/conditioning, power, sturdiness/luck (no injuries), maturity, commitment and drive are so much more important than early compulsory success. It's a marathon, not a sprint. Congrats to your DD!

• Like 2

I also think that it can be easy for kids who compete at a high level in anything to compare themselves to a really big field without realizing it-and for parents to do the same and forget how much of the iceberg is below the surface. But just because there are 12 yr olds doing calculus doesn't mean that a 12 yr old in Algebra 2 isn't advanced and is showing exceptional promise in math. And it certainly doesn't mean that said 12 yr old's parents can't worry about how they're going to meet that child's needs. The same is true in other fields, too. There are a lot of talented athletes who aren't going to the olympics, but it doesn't mean they're not talented.

Your DD is exceptional. Her coach sees it. You are allowed to be proud, to be worried, to be happy, and to be scared. All at the same time. Congratulations to her-and to you!

• Like 13

I also think that it can be easy for kids who compete at a high level in anything to compare themselves to a really big field without realizing it-and for parents to do the same and forget how much of the iceberg is below the surface. But just because there are 12 yr olds doing calculus doesn't mean that a 12 yr old in Algebra 2 isn't advanced and is showing exceptional promise in math. And it certainly doesn't mean that said 12 yr old's parents can't worry about how they're going to meet that child's needs. The same is true in other fields, too. There are a lot of talented athletes who aren't going to the olympics, but it doesn't mean they're not talented.

Your DD is exceptional. Her coach sees it. You are allowed to be proud, to be worried, to be happy, and to be scared. All at the same time. Congratulations to her-and to you!

I was thinking along those lines in the shower.  Just because a gifted kid might not become famous for an invention or a world record, doesn't mean they're not gifted.  :)

• Like 5

Congratuations, it is wonderful for your girl to get the recognition she deserves. And I just want to repeat everything said here:

• Like 1

That's so cool! I agree with all of the previous posters, there are many ways to be gifted, and fame/fortune/success doesn't have to be the end goal. It certainly doesn't prove anything. (Not that anyone has anything to prove!)

My DD is a budding gymnast. I think she has talent, but she's 5, and right now I am just enjoying watching her do what she loves. I'm a little scared of competitive gymnastics!

• Like 1

I'm in a similar situation with a child who is not even particularly gifted in her chosen activity but who has exceptional drive and determination. I will not be at all surprised if she ends up competing at the world championship level because of sheer grit and hard work.

• Like 2