Moxie

Sun: Stuffed Potatoes

Mon: steak, mashed potatoes, broccoli

Tues: shepherd's pie using leftover mashed potatoes

Wed:Chili

Thurs:spaghetti or tortillini with italian sausage and fresh spaghetti sauce

Fri: chicken, roasted sweet potatoes and veggie

Sat: leftovers or some kind of chicken soup

That's all I've got.  And I'm completely out of inspiration too.  I think I'll go take a nap and hopefully that will help me think better.

Well thanks to Annie I've got ideas for a couple of more meals.

Edit: alright I switched things around and came up with enough ideas for the week. 

I enjoy these meal planning threads for two reasons.  1) I can get some new ideas, and 2) I can see that my standards are WAY too high.  I don't mean this to belittle anyone's menus at all, I just realize that plenty of people have, say, tacos pretty much every single week and there is NOTHING wrong with that!!  My family seems to think that our menu should be different every single week and they get "bored" with the same stuff.  But we aren't even CLOSE to repeating meals like most normal families, IMO!  lol  They need to suck it up. 

• Like 3

I enjoy these meal planning threads for two reasons.  1) I can get some new ideas, and 2) I can see that my standards are WAY too high.  I don't mean this to belittle anyone's menus at all, I just realize that plenty of people have, say, tacos pretty much every single week and there is NOTHING wrong with that!!  My family seems to think that our menu should be different every single week and they get "bored" with the same stuff.  But we aren't even CLOSE to repeating meals like most normal families, IMO!  lol  They need to suck it up. 

Yup, we're the 'tacos every Wednesday' family.  :001_smile:  We're Survivor fans and we always wait until it starts to have dinner, so during the season, tacos it is.   I'm so fortunate that my family doesn't care that we eat the same thing all the time. 

• Like 1

Sun: chicken/spinach/rice noodles for dh and dd; I'm going out with friends!

Mon: homemade black bean burgers and salad for dd; anniversary dinner out with dh :)

Tues: bagel and egg sandwiches, bacon, fruit

Wed: tandoori chicken, naan, 2 veggies

Thurs: homemade fish and chips (assuming the fishmonger has some thick pieces), broc

Fri: foraging for dd; a charity function for dh and I

Sat: chicken adobo, rice, 2 veggies

The number of times we're eating out this week is highly unusual, like our monthly allotment in one week :eek:

I like variety too and I get bored eating the same stuff but at the same time I get tired of coming up with new ideas.  Add to that the fact I hate to waste any food and so I recreate things on a regular basis.  So in our house even though the menu says tacos, it could be any number of varieties.  It could be beef (hamburger or shredded), it could be chicken, it could be pork, it could be fish.  It could have white beans or black beans or lentils or no legumes, it could have rice or not (depending on what leftovers I have to use up), it could have corn or not and all of that is just the filling.  Toppings will vary equaling depending on what's on hand.  It might be stuffed in a white tortilla or a wheat tortilla or a corn tortilla, I may pile it on a pile of rice if I run out of tortillas or even wrap in lettuce leaves in a pinch.  I've probably even dumped taco flavored meat on top of noodles a time or two.  My point is even though my menu labels have lots of repeats, the food changes and helps prevent boredom.  Perhaps changing how you make the things on your menu might help them feel like it's a "new" food without you having to brainstorm a whole new food.

• Like 2

You guys are saving your menus for each week along with the grocery lists that match to reuse later, right?

I'm not but then my grocery list and menu list have very little to do with each other.  I menu plan based on food already in the house.  I grocery shop based on what is on sale or staples that I'm out of (milk, eggs, baking supplies etc).  So two weeks ago I found a pork roast in the clearance bin and stuck it in the freezer.  Then it went on last week's menu plan because it was big and taking a lot of freezer space. But I regularly keep 3-4 kinds of meats and 4-5 kinds of veggies on hand at a minimum.  I always have multiple sources of starch on hand. 

• Like 1

Breakfasts are make your own like they've always been since only 2 in the family want breakfast.  The usual: toast, eggs, cereal, muffins from the freezer, yogurt, fruit.

Mon:  talapia (frozen and packaged from Costco) and carrot salad

red lentil curry, (in slow cooker) naan, (prepackaged) and fennel bulb salad

Tues: pasta and pesto (from Costco-premade)

lime pork tacos and Spanish rice (from a box)

Wed: Dirty Rice (from a box with browned ground beef)

Chocolate Raspberry Torte (my contribution to the church potluck)

Thurs: ham or turkey sandwiches and chips

3 bean chipotle chili (double batch, extra frozen) and corn bread muffins (boxed mix, extras frozen)

Fri:  chicken flautas and guacamole (prepackaged and frozen)

Korean Noodle Bowls (sauce premade in a double batch last time I made this and in the freezer)

Sat: leftovers

fruit platter (my appetizer contribution to the neighborhood hot dog cookout before trick or treating begins)

Sun: chicken curry sandwiches and fruit

spiced lamb patties, Greek salad, sourdough bread (prepackaged)

I'm not but then my grocery list and menu list have very little to do with each other. I menu plan based on food already in the house. I grocery shop based on what is on sale or staples that I'm out of (milk, eggs, baking supplies etc). So two weeks ago I found a pork roast in the clearance bin and stuck it in the freezer. Then it went on last week's menu plan because it was big and taking a lot of freezer space. But I regularly keep 3-4 kinds of meats and 4-5 kinds of veggies on hand at a minimum. I always have multiple sources of starch on hand.

My situation is similar, except for the nights we have fish----I purchase what looks good on that day.

Plus, cooking for three is sooooooo much simpler!

I enjoy these meal planning threads for two reasons. 1) I can get some new ideas, and 2) I can see that my standards are WAY too high. I don't mean this to belittle anyone's menus at all, I just realize that plenty of people have, say, tacos pretty much every single week and there is NOTHING wrong with that!! My family seems to think that our menu should be different every single week and they get "bored" with the same stuff. But we aren't even CLOSE to repeating meals like most normal families, IMO! lol They need to suck it up.

Lol!!! For us is fajitas...I make those quite often. And yes, they need to suck it up and be grateful there's food on their table :)

You guys are saving your menus for each week along with the grocery lists that match to reuse later, right?

No. I pretty much buy the same stuff every week. If I want to make something that requires a perishable specialty item (like fresh basil), then I plan several meals to use that item.

• Like 1

Oh fun, I love seeing what other people eat! It helps me get some new ideas. This week:

Sun.- grilled hamburgers/hot dogs, baked beans, salad, chips for kids

Mon.- chicken tacos w/toppings: lettuce, tomato, cheddar, sour cream, salsa

Tue.- beef penne, green beans, garlic bread

Wed.- chicken noodle soup, rolls

Thu.- Mexican Rice Skillet (new recipe to try), salad

Fri.- pizza night!!

Sat.- Halloween themed dinner at my parent's house. My mom is awesome and makes a bunch of those fun but time consuming foods from Pinterest. I think it's my kids favorite part of Halloween.

We tend to repeat some things from week to week. We have a taco night (alternating beef and chicken), pizza night, we grill once a week all year round, soup night during the fall and winter, usually have pasta once a week too. This makes it a lot easier for me to menu plan!

• Like 1

Jumping in because I seriously need some accountability.

Monday: Potato & leek soup with cream cheese biscuits (frozen from Costco)

Tuesday: Grilled cheese and parmesan-basil tomato soup

Wednesday: Leftovers

Thursday: Fusilli alla caprese with salad

Friday: Pumpkin lentil chili with cornbread

Saturday: Pizza or leftovers

Monday: Rice Bowls (rice, black beans, lettuce, pico, queso cheese, sour cream over tortilla chips)

Tuesday: Turkey Manhatten

Wednesday: Meatball Subs, Pasta Salad

Thursday: Bean and cheese burritos

Friday: Waffles and bacon

We add a fruit and veggie each night, but I figure those out at the last minute.

forgot to add mine!

Mon. garbanzo bean/chipotle soup and tostadas

Tues. kid's night to cook) butternut sqush soup with bacon and salad with fried chicken

Wed. mulligatawny and random leftovers

Thurs. (kids day) tbd

Fri. beans, rice, calabacitas, vegan pork, tortillas

Sat. (husbands night to cook) tbd

Sun: Stuffed Potatoes

Mon: steak, mashed potatoes, broccoli

Tues: shepherd's pie using leftover mashed potatoes

Wed:Chili

Thurs:spaghetti or tortillini with italian sausage and fresh spaghetti sauce

Fri: chicken, roasted sweet potatoes and veggie

Sat: leftovers or some kind of chicken soup

That's all I've got.  And I'm completely out of inspiration too.  I think I'll go take a nap and hopefully that will help me think better.

Well thanks to Annie I've got ideas for a couple of more meals.

Edit: alright I switched things around and came up with enough ideas for the week. 

Well my week sure isn't turning out like I planned.  On Monday I cooked up the tomatoes for Wednesday's chili and made extra mashed potatoes for Tuesday's shepherd's pie.  However, Tuesday's errands ran way longer than I planned and it was after 6 before I got home.  I was too tired to assemble shepherd's pie then.  So I ended up making an asian cabbage salad with the last of my cabbage in the fridge and added some chicken from costco.

Got out enough hamburger to thaw this morning for chili and shepherd's pie with the intent that I could cook all the hamburger at once and then assemble the shepherd's pie while the chili was cooking and the tomorrow I could just bake the shepherd's pie.  Of course after it was out thawing, youngest DS woke up with a high fever and has been stuck to me all day, plus someone called DH about a job possibility and so I had to help him crunch numbers before running out the door for round one interview this afternoon.  I was too tired to do anything so all the hamburger went in the fridge and I ended up making a mexican quinoa dish that I saw on my facebook feed.

So now, I have all this hamburger thawed that I should cook tomorrow, but I will be gone to my mom's and she has 30 pounds of chicken for me and I'm not sure I have freezer space for all of it so I may have to cook some of that when I get home tomorrow.  So I have no idea what we are going to eat when for the rest of the week.  We have plenty of food, it's just I'm not sure which days I'll have time to make what.

M: shrimp scampi, bread, roasted Brussels sprouts and carrots

T: beef/bean/pepper tacos, salad

W: Mexican red lentil stew, corn casserole

Th: potato leek soup

F: Thai turkey meatloaf, roasted root vegetable salad

Sat: beef roast, twice baked potatoes, veg

Sun: dss has asked to make caramel pork tenderloin for my birthday dinner

I enjoy these meal planning threads for two reasons. 1) I can get some new ideas, and 2) I can see that my standards are WAY too high. I don't mean this to belittle anyone's menus at all, I just realize that plenty of people have, say, tacos pretty much every single week and there is NOTHING wrong with that!! My family seems to think that our menu should be different every single week and they get "bored" with the same stuff. But we aren't even CLOSE to repeating meals like most normal families, IMO! lol They need to suck it up.

I grew up with a mother who had a set weekly menu. People still say they remember coming to our house on Wednesdays and smell moms spaghetti and meatballs It worked for her for she worked the night shift at the hospital, had kids to Get off to school in the morning and babysat two other kids. I know she was always tired and it was easier for her to have a set menu. To this day if I don't know what to cook I go back to the "70's menu" a.k.a. moms weekly menu

• Like 1

Tonight when I get home from school (7:45 ish) I plan to cook biscuits and sausage gravy. Tomorrow will be chicken manicotti and baked vegetables. That's all I have so far.

It has been so long since we had biscuits and sausage gravy. Really looking forward to tonight's dinner.

I would eat biscuits and sausage gravy every day of my life if I could. Sadly, my body cannot handle the carbs....boy do I wish I'd eaten more biscuits and gravy in my 30's!

• Like 1

Sun: Grilled Chicken, Salad, Cheesy Risotto

Mon: Oven fried Chicken, Salad, Pasta w/Marinara

Tues: Seared Scallops, Salad, Pasta w/Alfredo Sauce

Wed: Church

Thurs:Leftovers Buffet

Fri: Eat Out

Sat: Order Pizza (we always have pizza on Halloween)

Here's my mom's weekly

Menu when we were growing up. she served a simple salad with her own vinegar dressing and bread and butter at every meal. Jello or pudding for dessert once a week

Monday: Boiled dinner(ham, potatoes, cabbage, turnips, carrots)

Tuesday:shake n bake chicken or pork chops, rice pilaf, vegetables

Wednesday: Spaghetti and meatballs

Or lasagna

Thursday: Beef stew or pot roast

Friday: Grilled cheese and soup or if there was extra money pizza or cutlet sandwiches from our favorite restaurant.

Saturday: Hotdogs and beans

Sunday: Breakfast for dinner

There were variations but not often