Menu

CT scan of brain

Night Elf

Dd17 has a CT scan scheduled this Friday. What can she expect? Her doctor prescribed a Xanax to help her calm down. Any idea how long such a procedure lasts? The doctor told me they can give dd breaks if she needs to come out of the machine. I forgot to ask the radiology department if they do that. She's scared of this procedure, and I don't blame her. What should she need to know before time?

A head CT is very fast...like seconds long. Even if she needs contrast, the IV would take longer to start than the actual CT.

Unless you're talking about a decades-only machine, which I don't think are in use any more.

MRIs take longer, maybe 20 minutes?

When I talked to the radiology department, she said there would be no contrast. I just forgot to ask her how long the procedure might last. Short would be best, obviously.

My son had a ct scan of his brain in the ER and it took seconds. I don't know if she is getting something different. From what I recall of it, there was nothing about the procedure to be nervous about. He just had to lay down and stay still. Of course, I was worried about the results and the effects of radiation on him since he was so young. The procedure itself was no big deal.

My DD needed CT scans of her lungs when she was hospitalized for pneumonia at age 3.   They gave her Versed to help her get through it, and it was the only way they could have done the scan at the time.   The machine was loud (it sounded like a jet engine) and spun - which was terrifying for a 3 year old.   I only remember it taking a few minutes.

I would prepare a teen for the sound and for a feeling of claustrophobia for a CT of the head.   

A CT takes seconds...the positioning makes the whole thing last a few minutes.

That said, I am really not fond of CT scans. There are times when they are absolutely necessary either because of the type of image they need or because of an ultra-emergent situation....but whenever possible, demand a MRI. The amount of radiation exposure from a CT is significantly higher than that from things like X-rays or the like and there is a well-documented correlation to cancer risk. Our pediatric neuro-oncologist showed us a graph of how the risk factor for cancer multiplies with each CT scan. I am sharing this just as a general P.S.A. I myself have had CT scans that were medically necessary but I am cautious about lifetime radiation exposure amounts...

• Like 1

Call the radiology department and ask them how long it takes and whether the machine is relatively open (ie won't cause claustrophobia). They can give you an exact answer. I don't recall a CT being noisy, but again, you can ask the radiology department. 

She can also wear her clothing which puts people at ease. Just have her wear a sports bra (no metal) and an elastic waist pair of shorts or pants. (I can't recall whether metal is an issue, so this is just in case. Or ask the radiology dept when you call.) 

Is she claustrophobic? That is the only reason I can think of that someone might want a sedative for that procedure. And though I am claustrophobic, since I didn't want the drugs, I simply ask for a cloth across my eyes so I can't see. But most CT machines are pretty open compared to MRIs. 

I wonder if they meant an MRI rather than a CT scan? A CT scan is fast.  My daughter has had a CT scan and several brain MRI's.  They never bothered her, and the MRI is actually kind of relaxing, if you can get out of the frame of mind that it might be scary.  It really isn't scary, though of course it's a new experience.  The MRI's that my daughter had were not totally enclosed.  They did get a little loud (knocking sounds), but some places let you wear headphones and listen to music.  Her MRI took about 45 minutes but the CT was fast.  Absolutely nothing in the procedure hurts, in either the CT scan or the MRI.

Good luck to her!

• Like 1

I had either an MRI or CT scan when I was 10. They gave me headphones and my mom had brought my favorite cd for me to listen to while I was in the "tunnel." I don't remember it being terrible. The music helped. I think I had some sort of headphones. It was a long time ago. Mostly I didn't like that I was cold and I felt a little claustrophobic. I kept my eyes closed.

MRIs suck. CT scans, however, are a cakewalk. I'm sorry she is so anxious over it. Would researching the procedure put her mind at ease? Sometimes we psyche ourselves out with anticipatory stress over nothing at all, and research can quell much of that. Knowledge is power.

My 13 yo has had 2 CT's and 2 MRI's of her brain (concussions) some in the ER and some that were scheduled. She did fine with both. I believe they usually give her earplugs. The CT is very short but even with the MRI she did well. They are both loud from what I remember. She had an MRI on her leg prior to the head one so that may have helped that she knew what to expect.

:grouphug:

As I re-read your post, the whole "take breaks" thing makes me think MRI as well.

I've only had a few brain MRIs---they do position your head and strap it into position.  The machines aren't that bad---open is easier than closed MRI.  The table will shift forward and a back a few inches between scans. There can be a loud knocking noise. Some places have movie goggles, or allow you to play music. I find it much easier than the ones where you have to listen to just the banging and clicking of the machine. Most neuro MRIs last about an hour.

My son has had MRI and CAT scans.  I also agree that CAT scans are quick.  MRI's are not.  My son had a very early morning appointment for his MRI, and he had drank a large soda before. That was a bad decision.  He headed straight to the bathroom afterwards, and was miserable for he last ten minutes of the MRI.

• Like 1