Menu

Birth control in your late 40s....

umsami

Going off topic a bit - 

Everyone is talking about how bad insertion of the IUD hurt, but what about them taking it out? How was that?

It didn't bother me much to have one put in, but maybe that was because I had just had a baby? We're going to start trying for another baby next year, so I'll probably have mine removed next August/September. 

I did not even feel when it was removed. At all. I asked, "You're done? That's it?" 

• Like 3

Going off topic a bit -

Everyone is talking about how bad insertion of the IUD hurt, but what about them taking it out? How was that?

It didn't bother me much to have one put in, but maybe that was because I had just had a baby? We're going to start trying for another baby next year, so I'll probably have mine removed next August/September.

I had one for about a year. Insertion hurt some, but was fine. When it was taken out, I don't recall it being painful.

• Like 1

Just tossing in the idea of using the symptothermal NFP in combination with barrier methods. Safest option healthwise for both women and men, and very effective when done with diligence. Ask me how I know. (Hint: my baby is nearly 10 years old.)

This is great for people with regular cycles. It's what we use when we don't want pregnancy.

It's not so great for people who either will not use a barrier (due to religion or preference) or women who have less predictable cycles. There have been many threads here with women explains why it didn't work well for them.

• Like 2

Going off topic a bit -

For me, insertion was quite painful, removal was a breeze. My theory is that the cervix is designed to let babies OUT, not to let things in. :lol:

• Like 5

Just tossing in the idea of using the symptothermal NFP in combination with barrier methods. Safest option healthwise for both women and men, and very effective when done with diligence. 

I'm sure that is the safest option for the people it works for.  If it doesn't work for women with unpredictable cycles, then it doesn't work for them.  

I knew a couple once that the wife almost died during pregnancy/childbirth, and she was told absolutely she should not get pregnant again, period.  The husband was willing to use condoms, but she was so afraid of getting pregnant, she never wanted to have sex.  They only solved this with a vasectomy.  

She wasn't trying to manipulate him.  But it was what it was.  If he would have still been "no, I'm not having a vasectomy" I would not have considered that a kind or unselfish husband who was interested in having his marriage last.

• Like 3

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2014/09/14/sunday-review/unplanned-pregnancies.html?_r=2

10 year failure rates of various methods.

86% failure rate during a decade of typical condom use

18% failure rate for perfect use

Spermicide - 96% failure rate typical use

-86% perfect use

pill, ring

61% failure typical use

3% perfect use

Seeing the rates over ten years really makes it clear why there are so many unplanned pregnancies. Over the course of a decade, only IUDS, hormonal implants, and sterilization have typical failure rates of less than 40%. Someone relying on any other method for twenty years would statistically end up with 1-2 kids despite perfect use. And really, who uses contraception perfectly every time for twenty years?

• Like 6

Going off topic a bit -

The insertion for me was uncomfortable and crampy. The removal? Zomg. I had a midwife I'd never seen before (and never saw again!) filling in for my regular practitioner whose DH passed away the day before. I was seen 2 hours after my appointment time and was about to bail, but getting child care arranged and getting to her office which is far from my house was an issue too. Anyway, this woman didn't have the right size speculum, tried to blame everything on me being overweight (?! is my cervix fat too?! which later ob/GYNs told me was crazy), and it was obscenely uncomfortable. I hurt walking around for a couple of days. That being said, I would have gotten one again because 6 years of no periods and not worrying was totally worth those couple of hellish hours.

• Like 1

The average woman becomes infertile approximately 10 years prior to menopause. By the time we are 45, the chances of actually birthing a baby (without medical fertility intervention) is less than 3%. By age 47, the risk of birthing a baby is about the same as a young person taking oral contraceptives. Unless, I was Ashkenazi Jewish descent, I would not use any birth control at that age. the biological clock is a very powerful thing.

ps. There is still some slight risk of getting pregnant at late 40's, but the miscarriage rate is 90% or more.

I know. I think that is what I have basically read from sources I think likely to be credible.

But if something seems like a totally unacceptable outcome, 3% is to great a risk. For me, having a baby at 48 would be unacceptable. If it happened, I might change my tune because I absolutely love being a mother and would love that baby. But for me at this stage in life, and my husband who is 55, pregnancy seems like a really bad idea. So using birth control at 48 when I have no reason to think I am in menopause is important. I am not willing to accept an the risk. And I do know three women (well) who have become pregnant at 46 and 47 - none intentionally.

I feel ridiculous asking for surgery (for DH or I) at my age. I have an insecurity that health care providers will think I am silly because I am 48 and I look 48 - I don't try to look or act younger, but realistically I know pregnancy is possible for me.

So whatever choice you would make seem irrelevant to me ... I don't have to live with your choices and if I got pregnant, I would be affected, not you.

• Like 5

Unless, I was Ashkenazi Jewish descent, I would not use any birth control at that age. the biological clock is a very powerful thing.

Wait -- could you explain this?  I am of Ashkenazi Jewish descent and I have never heard or read anything about our fertility falling any later than anyone else's.    There are genetic diseases, of course but I had the panel screen 10 years ago and AFAIK those risks have nothing to do with age -- you're either a carrier or you're not.  

• Like 2

Going off topic a bit - 

I don't want to scare you off, but getting mine out was almost unbearable. I don't know exactly what was going on down there but at one point the OB clipped something onto something.. It was horrible. But he wasn't my normal guy and it may have been him. 

• Like 1

The insertion for me was uncomfortable and crampy. The removal? Zomg. I had a midwife I'd never seen before (and never saw again!) filling in for my regular practitioner whose DH passed away the day before. I was seen 2 hours after my appointment time and was about to bail, but getting child care arranged and getting to her office which is far from my house was an issue too. Anyway, this woman didn't have the right size speculum, tried to blame everything on me being overweight (?! is my cervix fat too?! which later ob/GYNs told me was crazy), and it was obscenely uncomfortable. I hurt walking around for a couple of days. That being said, I would have gotten one again because 6 years of no periods and not worrying was totally worth those couple of hellish hours.

It sounds like I used that same midwife under similar circumstances. 

I think she removed the IUD on a futon using a flashlight. 

She had me cough, though, when she pulled it, and I didn't feel a thing.

• Like 3

Wait -- could you explain this? I am of Ashkenazi Jewish descent and I have never heard or read anything about our fertility falling any later than anyone else's. There are genetic diseases, of course but I had the panel screen 10 years ago and AFAIK those risks have nothing to do with age -- you're either a carrier or you're not.

Fertility for longer than any other population group.

• Like 1

I know. I think that is what I have basically read from sources I think likely to be credible.

But if something seems like a totally unacceptable outcome, 3% is to great a risk. For me, having a baby at 48 would be unacceptable. If it happened, I might change my tune because I absolutely love being a mother and would love that baby. But for me at this stage in life, and my husband who is 55, pregnancy seems like a really bad idea. So using birth control at 48 when I have no reason to think I am in menopause is important. I am not willing to accept an the risk. And I do know three women (well) who have become pregnant at 46 and 47 - none intentionally.

I feel ridiculous asking for surgery (for DH or I) at my age. I have an insecurity that health care providers will think I am silly because I am 48 and I look 48 - I don't try to look or act younger, but realistically I know pregnancy is possible for me.

So whatever choice you would make seem irrelevant to me ... I don't have to live with your choices and if I got pregnant, I would be affected, not you.

No one should think you are silly. No matter what you choose, a healthcare provider, hopefully, would have informed you of the risks so that you can make an informed decision. There are many risks with many types of birth control. Some even increase with age like blood clots with hormones. Therefore, As we age, and the risks of a live birth diminish, at some point the risks of the prevention may outweigh the risk of a pregnancy. Each should be able to make that choice herself.

• Like 1

I would have to have pretty desperate circumstances to insist my dh get a vacectomy when he didn't want to.  To me, I just turn it around - if he insisted I get a tubal, I would feel upset.  Of course I do carry the risk of pregnancy, but I don't think of that as something that has been done to me - it's just because I happen to have the womb.

Anyway, although my dh has thought about a V, i doubt it would ever happen, this is a guy who faints getting needles at the best of times.

We've gone for a while now with NFP and condoms when I'm unsure.  My cycles are getting fairly unpredictable now as I'm getting older, and I'm less sure of pinpointing ovulation (though actually I think its just happening very early in the cycle or sometimes not at all), so the use of condoms is more frequent than it was.  If it bothered dh I think I'd look at a diaphram.

• Like 2

My great-grandmother had her last child at the age of 52, back in the middle 1940's.

Fifty-two.

Au naturale.

Just sayin'.

My ggrandmother was "only" almost 43 when she had her youngest back in the 30s.  When I was pregnant with Ani there was a woman on a yahoogroup with me expecting her first as well.  She was 51 when she got pregnant.  No medical assistance.  She was quite shocked to have gotten pregnant as it was her first pregnancy ever and she had never intended to have kids.

So no way would I rely on statistics and go with no birth control if I definitely didn't want kids.  Also, the comment about 90% of pregnancies over a certain age end in miscarriage is really unsettling to me.  Why in the world would I want to bank on a miscarriage if I did get pregnant?  Miscarriages suck!

• Like 1

Anyway, although my dh has thought about a V, i doubt it would ever happen, this is a guy who faints getting needles at the best of times.

FWIW, my husband was the same way about needles.  They terrified him.  He's been okay with them since he got the V 6 years ago.  He said he hummed to himself through the entire procedure and it really helped.  The urologist, one of those particular doctors with absolutely no bedside manner but really good at what he does, gave him weird looks the entire time.

• Like 2

My ggrandmother was "only" almost 43 when she had her youngest back in the 30s.  When I was pregnant with Ani there was a woman on a yahoogroup with me expecting her first as well.  She was 51 when she got pregnant.  No medical assistance.  She was quite shocked to have gotten pregnant as it was her first pregnancy ever and she had never intended to have kids.

So no way would I rely on statistics and go with no birth control if I definitely didn't want kids.  Also, the comment about 90% of pregnancies over a certain age end in miscarriage is really unsettling to me.  Why in the world would I want to bank on a miscarriage if I did get pregnant?  Miscarriages suck!

I suspect that a good proportion of those miscarriages are very early, and the woman may not even know she is pregnant or had conceived - more like a late, maybe heavier than normal, period.  People may tend to see it more as part of the difficulty of getting pregnant at that age rather than failure to carry a pregnancy to term.

• Like 2