Menu

Snowboots 2 sizes too big?

sangtarah

I would really like to stretch our dollars on snowboots this year...is there anything wrong with buying a quality boot that is 2 sizes too big? (I'm thinking Land's End - there is a 30% off coupon.) The only thing I can think of is that they may need 2 pairs of socks. 

Or....Any less expensive but good quality boots that you would like to recommend? 

I've been to the re-sale stores, but no luck in their sizes. The snowboots at Target and Payless are $49 right now. 

Actually air space in boots is what makes them warm - air an excellent insulator (think of how home insulation or vacuum sealed coffee mugs work, it's conduction that is a killer for insulative value). Double socks can actually make things worse if they make the shoe fit tightly and there isn't adequate room. They can also cause blisters. When I was figure skating that as one of the bigger mistakes I saw novices make - thinking you could beat cold feet with more layers. In some temperature extremes it is very helpful, but there still must be an adequate amount of air in the shoe or it will be more difficult to warm the feet, not less.

Now, if double socks fit and the boot still have some room and give, that's great! Overly large boots are popular in this house for just that reason - they're cozy and warm. Tight boots are less comfortable as well as chillier, and you don't want hands or feet constricted when you're out in the cold. With our crew, two sizes too big wouldn't work for church shoes or rain boots, but it's great for snow boots and roller blades :)

Actually air space in boots is what makes them warm - air an excellent insulator (think of how home insulation or vacuum sealed coffee mugs work, it's conduction that is a killer for insulative value). Double socks can actually make things worse if they make the shoe fit tightly and there isn't adequate room. They can also cause blisters. When I was figure skating that as one of the bigger mistakes I saw novices make - thinking you could beat cold feet with more layers. In some temperature extremes it is very helpful, but there still must be an adequate amount of air in the shoe or it will be more difficult to warm the feet, not less.

Now, if double socks fit and the boot still have some room and give, that's great! Overly large boots are popular in this house for just that reason - they're cozy and warm. Tight boots are less comfortable as well as chillier, and you don't want hands or feet constricted when you're out in the cold. With our crew, two sizes too big wouldn't work for church shoes or rain boots, but it's great for snow boots and roller blades :)

Two sizes bigger on my young kids are HUGE! They can hardly walk and we can't fit snow pants over them as easily. Often there's too much space and they're feet are colder because they start to sweat into their socks. This can be somewhat alleviated by wool socks, but that's a lot of my kids.

• Like 1

On my toddler it's too much space, but we have successfully done it with the oldest three. The brand matters - kamiks and sorels - and my kids are owners of wide feet, which may make a difference. Running in piles of snow and ice is almost impossible anyway, so that hasn't been a factor here. But rain boots have been a bit awkward in sizes too big, as I said. My grade schooler and up? No problem!

Thanks for the opinions.

I do agree that 2 sizes would be a bit much for the toddler, but the girls I'm hoping could manage. 

I've seen the kamik and sorel brands on discount sites, but I'm not an expert in good snowboot brands. I'll have to look for those. Any other good brands I should look into? 

It's ideal if your kids have wide feet. I've done two sizes up before and had it work. But if they have narrow or regular feet, it's probably a smidge too much. I *never* buy new boots the right size though, so the idea doesn't seem crazy to me, that's for sure.

I've gotten good deals on sierra trading post.

I would not buy boots 2 sizes too big.  not even when money was a huge deal did i buy them that big.  tripping becomes much more likely.  plus their feet will slide all over - and socks don't help their feet stay in place better.

do you have any kids consignment stores near you? craigslist?  freecycle? thrift stores?  I've gotten some good deals at some when my olders were little.

People's experiences probably depend on their climate and activities.

If you are going to spend all day outside at a ski meet in snow 12 feet deep, no. Too cold and bulky. Snowshoeing when it's 10 below? No way. Playing in the backyard in a couple of inches for an hour in right around freezing? Sure, why not.

Depends on your kids sensitivities too. No way would DS have been able to handle that, both for sensory and practical reasons. You know your kids best and what they'll be using the boots for.

Thanks for the opinions.

I do agree that 2 sizes would be a bit much for the toddler, but the girls I'm hoping could manage. 

I've seen the kamik and sorel brands on discount sites, but I'm not an expert in good snowboot brands. I'll have to look for those. Any other good brands I should look into? 

Check Overstock and places like Sierra Trading Post before buying.

I'm not sure 2 sizes up would be great, but I have done 1.5 sizes up many times without issue on a child with average, not wide feet.

My kids just stomp around in the snow, so I buy as few pairs as possible. Esp with the wide width feet. Not cheap. My 3yo last year got away with wearing size 12W boots because his 9 Medium boots were too tight (width wise). He'll wear them again this year, and hopefully the littlest will wear them after that.