Menu

Resources for parents (w/ little money) whose toddler just suddenly & unexpectedly died

Happy2BaMom

Don't want to give too many details on the internet, but friends of a family member just lost their toddler on Sunday. Went down for a nap and never woke up again. They do not know what happened yet; an autopsy will be done to help determine cause of death.

These were wonderful parents, all the more amazing because they both had rough backgrounds and neither was parented well as a child. They have very little money or support and aren't the sort to go out and find resources to help them through this (nor are they currently in that frame of mind). They are allowing my family member to help them (thankfully), but this person is very worried about how they will cope on a longer term basis. She is looking into whether there is any low-cost grief counseling available through a hospital or some such outlet. They are located in a large city. The father was particularly attached to his child and has just largely shut down. Not unusual at this stage, probably.

I am wondering if anyone has any suggestions for books or online sites or something that my family member might be able to pass on to them for when they are ready to think of such things. Or any BTDT advice as well.

TIA.

Edited to add: As far as I know, they are not a religious family, so I don't believe that help from their church is available.

Check with your local hospital system. In a smaller city I used to live in, there were counselors attached to the hospital system who used a sliding pay scale. They were pastoral counselors, but they worked with clients of all and no faith, and they didn't insert Christianity into the sessions unless the patient was a Christian who wanted them to.

I am just getting back to this after being knocked flat by a horrible cold/flu virus. I appreciate all of the resources mentioned, esp. Compassionate Friends. Apparently the father is not yet able to absorb any of this, but, hopefully, with a little more time, they can find their way to move forward.