Menu

Lunar Eclipse

I got mine up as well - my older 3 found it very exciting, took tons of pictures and discussing it while looking through binoculars. We had a lovely clear sky and could see it from our front window and front door which we cuddled in front of in our blankets and then warmed up inside while talking to my partner while he was on a break at work about it via computer. While first thing this morning I wasn't sure if it was worth it (A-8 did not go back sleep and is on a hair trigger emotionnaly, and the 3 year old was up bright and early having not been woken and was moody at no one else being up, then A-8 woke up M-6... it was a rough morning) it was a great experience all around. 

We took pictures on my camera though I haven't gotten them onto a computer to properly look at them. As we have a street light right outside that the moon was just above for while and I have shaky hands I'm not sure we got any clear ones. 

• Like 2

I got mine up as well - my older 3 found it very exciting, took tons of pictures and discussing it while looking through binoculars. We had a lovely clear sky and could see it from our front window and front door which we cuddled in front of in our blankets and then warmed up inside while talking to my partner while he was on a break at work about it via computer. While first thing this morning I wasn't sure if it was worth it (A-8 did not go back sleep and is on a hair trigger emotionnaly, and the 3 year old was up bright and early having not been woken and was moody at no one else being up, then A-8 woke up M-6... it was a rough morning) it was a great experience all around. 

We took pictures on my camera though I haven't gotten them onto a computer to properly look at them. As we have a street light right outside that the moon was just above for while and I have shaky hands I'm not sure we got any clear ones. 

yes, I thought very carefully before waking my 10 yo ;)

It was worth it for us (though ask me how i feel at 4pm!)

I woke the kids at 4:00 AM and we watched for an hour at least then went to bed again. Everybody was super excited.

I'm not so excited anymore, because now everyone is  :smash: and it is only noon.

What was I thinking??  :smilielol5: This is going to be a long day.

• Like 1

I woke the kids at 4:00 AM and we watched for an hour at least then went to bed again. Everybody was super excited.

I'm not so excited anymore, because now everyone is  :smash: and it is only noon.

What was I thinking??  :smilielol5: This is going to be a long day.

I feel for you...I sense meltdowns here later. (& that is just my own!!!)

• Like 1

We watched the eclipse too.  It was a lovely evening with little cloud cover.  Plus the eclipse occurred at the most reasonable hour of 8 pm.  In our apartment complex, several neighbors set out with us.  It was fun.  Just wish we have made it into a party.   In case the anyone hasn't noticed, the world is still here! No end-time events occurred that I noticed.

• Like 1

It was cloudy here so we didn't really see the eclipse, when an occasional clearing occurred we could see the orange moon. I woke my 7 year old around 10:30 because he was really interested in it but fortunately the orange was enough for him.

Around 2 am I woke up to a bright light shining through my window. The moon was incredibly bright, too bad the sky wasn't that clear earlier in the night.

• Like 1

My dh took our children on an afternoon hike. When they got to the top of the mountain and signed their names in the register, they turned to go down and was so surprised to see the eclipse. One of the boys remembered that I mentioned it earlier this week. Dh snapped some nice photos of the children heading down the mountain under an eclipsed moon. It was a great night for clear skies and a headlamp descent.

• Like 2

The full eclipse was around 10 pm here. We sat outside for about 30 min and watched it through binoculars as it reached full. It was a beautiful evening and we all enjoyed it. None of us would have been in bed at that time, so there was no suffering for it. No littles left here.

• Like 2

That is really disappointing when the weather is bad. We live in the north of England where is *always* rains, so I was astonished by the clear skies.

I'm in Devon and it always rains here too but we've had 2 clear days before it and a yesterday and today were lovely. So mega frustrating. 

• Like 1

That's an amazing pic you got. How did you take it? I mean what camera and lens?

Thanks!

It is a *really* old camera - I am looking at it now to see what it is...it is a Sony cyber-shot. I like it because the settings are really easy. I get some gorgeous pictures of nature & the children just by sticking it on 'portrait' & holding down the flash. (I don't even know how to turn off the flash!!!) DH set it up for me on manual before he went to bed, but once the moon has reached total, I couldn't get any good photos because the exposure time needed to be changed & I didn't know how :(

I am too impatient to learn at this stage of my life...it is on my to do list for when the girls have left home :)

It has been a smashing camera.

post-32934-0-08623000-1443589800_thumb.jpg

I agree that it is amazing!  The problem that both dh and I had were that the moon, which looked so big to us with naked eye (because of parallax?) looked so small on our photos!  

Interesting! I know we perceive the moon to be much larger when low in the sky than when it is overhead; it's an optical illusion known as The Moon Illusion. When seeing the moon close to the horizon, our eyes have objects with which to compare the moon's size, where as perhaps on a photograph, there is nothing with which to compare?

• Like 2

That is really frustrating. 

It rains all the time in Devon? I am in Lancashire, & I always think of Devon as sunny (perhaps by comparison!!!)

Yep, Some parts are a bit drier but Devon is extremely wet. It's up there with Wales and the Lake District. The only bit that that's significantly drier is around Newton abbot/Torquay because it's in Dartmoor's rainshadow. I guess everyone thinks of Devon as dry and warm because they go to that area on holiday.

• Like 2