Menu

When do you fill out FAFSA?

swimmermom3

For ds1, I think we had to estimate by March 1 and fill it out finally by April 1. I just double checked and one school dd1 is considering requires the profile and 2014 taxes by Nov 1 for ED and EA (which applies to her as an athlete, I am pretty sure) and the FAFSA by February 1 and 2015 tax info by April 15.

So there is a wide variation, I would just check. But you are not late, that is for sure :)

• Like 2

Widely varies, but figure January.

We very rarely have all the numbers by then, but I already have a late-January weekend blocked out for the next academic year. I'll do a rough run on our taxes, and then that. That way I can finalize with just a few tweeks.

I had all sort of problems the first round, so it should be better this time. We can hope. They haven't set the calendar yet, but last year it was April 1 for final numbers.

Yes, although most schools give you til March 1.  Even then, if you don't have everything, you just fill out what you can and update when you can.  I actually was not able to fill ours out until August this year, and it worked out fine.  (I had been in touch with the admissions office about it and they knew what was going on.)

Wait, WHAAAT?  Will this happen this year or next???!

http://www.nola.com/politics/index.ssf/2015/09/white_house_changing_fafsa_pro.html

This article says it will start for those entering fall 2017. It also says that you CAN use the previous year's tax information. I wonder if this is a choice. It would be very beneficial to many people, but quite hurtful to others.

• Like 2