Menu

If you live in a state where pot is legal, do they do ads on TV?

elegantlion

I was helping with a writing assignment tonight and the annoyance of pharmaceutical ads on TV was brought up. He noted something about drug ads on TV. I thought of some guy named George standing in front of a green screen touting that he'd be at a certain corner between 8 and 9pm and discussing his "specials" of the day. - it's been a long day, my mind is in a weird place. 

So then I wondered if WA and CO actually had pot ads on TV or if they were banned? Just curious. 

I have not seen any TV ads or heard any radio ads. I don't watch TV but we do some streaming services and no pot ads there.

I haven't seen much advertising. Some print ads in weekly papers, maybe a sign that wasn't attached to the actual store.

This might be helpful for you:

http://lcb.wa.gov/marijuana/faq_i502_advertising#advertisingrules

That's WA state but I assume CO has a similar site.

I have seen a lot of advertising about how kids and teens shouldn't use pot and about how unsafe it is drive while high. There are many billboards near my home with that basic message. I think they are paid for by pot taxes but not sure.

Also, all legal pot sales are in licensed stores. You can't deal on the street legally. That said, people still do because they can sell for less than the stores can with taxes. Though most of our drug sales are more bus, car or house based than on the street.

• Like 1

I don't watch much TV - and have never seen any ads.

there are "dispensaries" where it is allowed to be sold - and you have to be licensed.  (I admit I haven't read a lot, but that's what it seems like.  as there are people who've made the news for getting in trouble because they're selling without the license.)

• Like 1

From the Evergreen State here, and I haven't seen any ads on tv.  I guess I would be surprised if they did.  To me it would be similar reasons why we don't have cigarette ads on tv.  It seems like every week there is some local news story that has to do with a place that sells marijuana.  That seem like enough advertising on TV to me.

• Like 2

CO and MrsBasil knows more than I about televison, but I can tell you that print ads and billboards are *rampant*. Not to mention signage on the establishment, itself.

I kind of wish we had signage reminding people to not DUI like Washington does. Seems like a decent idea.

• Like 1

Come to think of it, I can not recall a billboard, newspaper, or radio ad either.

There are two separate laws here, one covering medical use and covering recreational use. Recreational use has to be sold in licensed stores or grown under personal use laws. You have to present ID to enter a store. It is illegal to smoke in public...that law is overlooked at certain times or certain events(concerts and certain festivals).

Generally stores here have names that refer to nature, green, or herb. Some towns banned the dispensaries after the law passed.

• Like 1

Come to think of it, I can not recall a billboard, newspaper, or radio ad either.

There are two separate laws here, one covering medical use and covering recreational use. Recreational use has to be sold in licensed stores or grown under personal use laws. You have to present ID to enter a store. It is illegal to smoke in public...that law is overlooked at certain times or certain events(concerts and certain festivals).

Generally stores here have names that refer to nature, green, or herb. Some towns banned the dispensaries after the law passed.

Are you in Denver? Cuz we gots the signage, much of it on south Broadway or Colorado blvd. idk about an actual newspaper, but the weekly magazine (Westword) is full of marijuana ads. And apparently we have a marijuana-themed radio station that plays terrible music (Def Leppard? Stop).

And people smoke in public EVERYWHERE, not just concerts. They use a vaporizer so many people can't tell, but they're still doing it. I went to a gymnastics meet this last season where two dads were in front of the building smoking pot. Like, next to the stupid front door - with families coming and going! On the patio for brunch this morning? Two jerks in the corner sharing a joint. They we're asked to stop, but still.

It's everywhere.

Nobody seems to be pushing the limits with respect to TV ads. Honestly? I don't think people watching network television are their main market.a Old people smoke but they already have their dealers all set up. ;)

I must travel to less classy areas than Katie and Jean because I've seen billboards advertising specific stores. Most of these are between South Seattle, Renton, and Puyallup. The billboards are not in an area where mostly children would see it. They are big commuter highways like 167.

Now that it's legal people don't make any bones about the name as far as I can tell. So many people smoked illegally, and then on top of it there were the medical dispensaries for years on top of street selling.  So a billboard pointing out where to buy recreational marijuana doesn't raise a lot of eyebrows. On the contrary calling it "herb" would seem silly and prudish.

And apparently we have a marijuana-themed radio station that plays terrible music (Def Leppard? Stop).

Oh, how I wish Def Leppard were confined to the (non-existent) marijuana themed radio station here.

• Like 1

I definitely see the shops everywhere. Everywhere. It's actually probably more stores than the market can support. People are getting invested without too much regard for market saturation and I seriously suspect that 1/4-1/2 will be belly up within 3 years. There was a big story on the radio about how many stores aren't making any money. That can only go on for so long.

• Like 1

I definitely see the shops everywhere. Everywhere. It's actually probably more stores than the market can support. People are getting invested without too much regard for market saturation and I seriously suspect that 1/4-1/2 will be belly up within 3 years. There was a big story on the radio about how many stores aren't making any money. That can only go on for so long.

I agree. I think it's unfortunate that they all crowded up in one area (I think there are a couple of areas like this) because supposedly the markets weren't elsewhere or different townships banned them. We don't have any in Bellevue but it's not for lack of people smoking weed. We have to drive to Seattle and pay parking.

(ETA: I think we do have shops... just not that many and not that visible, as in parts of Seattle.)

• Like 1

I must travel to less classy areas than Katie and Jean because I've seen billboards advertising specific stores. Most of these are between South Seattle, Renton, and Puyallup. The billboards are not in an area where mostly children would see it. They are big commuter highways like 167.

It's not just less classy areas. There is a billboard in Kirkland at Willows & 124th, near the homeschool store.

• Like 1

I got the impression that they were not seeing billboards, so my thought was, gosh, and here I see all this advertising, though not on TV. I assumed it must not be happening where I don't go, since I don't see many marijuana billboards in Bellevue.

They later clarified that they just aren't seeing it on TV.

It's not just less classy areas. There is a billboard in Kirkland at Willows & 124th, near the homeschool store.

I was just there and I didn't see it but I'm sure you are right.

Wow, Totem Lake is *still* pretty rundown though. I hadn't been out that way in a couple of years. I would say it's the least classy part of Kirkland but obviously as a whole Kirkland is pretty upscale.

• Like 1

Wow, Totem Lake is *still* pretty rundown though. I hadn't been out that way in a couple of years. I would say it's the least classy part of Kirkland but obviously as a whole Kirkland is pretty upscale.

Totem Lake Mall is getting razed within the next 6 months, and they are putting in an upscale mixed-use development including a Whole Foods.

Gentrification?

It might not still be there but it was definitely there last winter/early spring. If you turn off Willows to 124th towards the HSP it was the billboard on the right before the car dealership.

• Like 1

Totem Lake Mall is getting razed within the next 6 months, and they are putting in an upscale mixed-use development including a Whole Foods.

Gentrification?

What's odd about those blocks is that no one has ever really lived there. Nearby, yes, but there's a strange disjointed feeling between the retail and housing in that area. I lived nearby years ago. It felt pretty much the same. For such a prime location, there's been a long underuse of the space. Totem Lake Mall was never really very vibrant in my memory. I doubt anyone is getting displaced by the new retail, it's rather overdue. Maybe they will have some housing there so it doesn't feel so...dead.

Are you in Denver? Cuz we gots the signage, much of it on south Broadway or Colorado blvd. idk about an actual newspaper, but the weekly magazine (Westword) is full of marijuana ads. And apparently we have a marijuana-themed radio station that plays terrible music (Def Leppard? Stop).

And people smoke in public EVERYWHERE, not just concerts. They use a vaporizer so many people can't tell, but they're still doing it. I went to a gymnastics meet this last season where two dads were in front of the building smoking pot. Like, next to the stupid front door - with families coming and going! On the patio for brunch this morning? Two jerks in the corner sharing a joint. They we're asked to stop, but still.

It's everywhere.

Wow. No, I am about an hour north of Denver. My city banned dispensaries as soon as they could after the law passed. There's a tiny town just on the limits of where I live that was originally incorporated to build bars and liquor when we were a dry town and they have dispensaries, but no signs in town advertising them.

Personally, I have not seen much public smoking here. I was not aware it was so prevalent in Denver though. My town is definitely more conservative than a lot of the Front Range, so that probably explains some of it. And we are much smaller than Denver.

• Like 1

Is it safe for pregnant women to breathe second-hand marijuana smoke? What about infants and small children? When people are allowed to smoke marijuana for medicinal purposes are they allowed to do it in public? What about in their homes with their children inthe same room? We're these kind of situations taken into account when the laws were changed?

Thank you all. I'm intrigued by how this whole legalization issue will evolve. In my state, it's still very much illegal and you will get busted for possession if caught. One city near here has no smoking cigarettes in bars - which did not go over well. I think they have outside areas now, don't know. 

I also know there are plenty of people in this region that are pot experts and could open a successful storefront without issue. 

That's a good point about DUI. Around here, I'm sure some people would consider it more like smoking cigarettes while driving and need a lot of PSA to understand the difference. 

Is it safe for pregnant women to breathe second-hand marijuana smoke? What about infants and small children? When people are allowed to smoke marijuana for medicinal purposes are they allowed to do it in public? What about in their homes with their children inthe same room? We're these kind of situations taken into account when the laws were changed?

A lot of the education going on in public service ads and on the news in Washington state focus on keeping marijuana away from children and teens.  I do not know the statistics but there have been cases in the news of children (including toddlers) ingesting marijuana laced brownies etc. and having to have medical intervention.  I don't know about being exposed to the smoke.  I would assume that might be an accumulative effect that would be more difficult to pin down.  

• Like 1

Gentrification?

Last time I was in that area--early summer--they were knocking down block after block on the boulevard and putting in fancier shops. It was beyond gentrification, which happens with the population. It was like the city decided to deliberately bring in different businesses. It was an impressive project except for the fact that two old gas stations had been taken down and the new one not put up and I was at a loss as to where to get gas before getting on the freeway.

I was there for a swim meet... the community there was so nice!

Well, legally in Wa you cannot smoke in public although they have made some exceptions for hemp fest and did have approved areas. There are no rules about children, only that you need to be 21.

The law here is wierd. You can legally buy it but you cannot legally posses it outside your home. So, technically, once you buy it, until you get it home, you are breaking the law.

What's odd about those blocks is that no one has ever really lived there. Nearby, yes, but there's a strange disjointed feeling between the retail and housing in that area. I lived nearby years ago. It felt pretty much the same. For such a prime location, there's been a long underuse of the space. Totem Lake Mall was never really very vibrant in my memory. I doubt anyone is getting displaced by the new retail, it's rather overdue. Maybe they will have some housing there so it doesn't feel so...dead.

I lived near there in the early 90's and it was dying back then. There were still a few decent stores but after the clothing chain (Lamont's, Loheman's can't remember) went under it totally died. I read something a few years ago about the owner trying to redevelop the land. Something was planned in the late 90's/00's then the economy tanked and recently I think the city was giving him a hard time or something along those lines.