Ice in milk?

creekland

Ice & Milk?  

145 members have voted

1. 1. Do you add ice to milk?

• Yes.
    • No.
    • Sometimes.
  2. 2. Do any of your relatives add ice to milk (close or extended relatives)?

• Yes - older relatives.
    • Yes - younger relatives.
    • Yes - a mix of ages.
    • No.

ACK NO!!!

GACK!

PTHTHTHT

When I was growing up, my mom bought Sanalac Powdered Skim Milk, exclusively. I had a sibling who was part calf and drank something like a gallon a day. If she drank the last bit at night and my mom didn't know it, my mom would furiously shake up a new batch with the coldest water the tap could provide. She'd toss in a few ice cubes, and our breakfast of Special K was enhanced by the game, "Is this an ice cube, or chunk of lukewarm milk powder, and how can I avoid getting it on my spoon?" 

No! I implore you, by everything that is holy, don't put ice in your milk!

To this day I can't drink skim milk.

Or skim beer, even though they call it "lite." I know better. Fool me once...

• Like 2

no. Never heard of it , or serving milk at a meal unless to very small children

We have a house cow, and she is dry atm. We find shop milk too watery as it is . (our house cow milk typically has 2-3 inches of cream on top)

We also don't serve milk with a meal. I was taught the whole don't drink much while eating as it dilutes the stomach acid thing. DH wasn't so everyone has a glass of water except me at meal times.

The twins however do have a cup of milk after their main meal, (not during).

This has been an interesting read!  Up until now I honestly didn't know anyone would add ice to milk on purpose.  (Up until now FIL never helped out much with meals when we've been around - he's 86 years old - men in his generation/culture just didn't help with things like that.  He's changed as MIL's abilities have decreased.)  

Perhaps it is what FIL grew up with and he's just pulling off memory.

I'll definitely chalk this up to my "learn something new everyday" bit.

Years ago I learned that some people add salt to watermelon via FIL... that one makes me gag too... but it's still good to know IMO.

No ice in milk. Yuck. I don't know anyone who puts I'd in their milk.

Milk is always an option with meals for the kids. Dh drinks milk occasionally with dinner and always has it with popcorn. I usually have water. I used to drink milk by the gallon. Loved it. I don't tolerate it very well anymore.

Another thing I can't stand - frozen milk. It just tastes weird.

My mom did when we were kids.  She'd put out an after-school snack for us ahead of time, so it would be there when we got home from the school bus.  She would put ice in the cups of milk to keep the milk cool, but it often would've melted by the time we were to drink it, so there was a layer of water on top of the milk.  Not my favorite.   (And now, my mind kind of boggles that she trusted us to be home by ourselves just fine, but not to pour our own glasses of milk!)

This has been an interesting read! Up until now I honestly didn't know anyone would add ice to milk on purpose. (Up until now FIL never helped out much with meals when we've been around - he's 86 years old - men in his generation/culture just didn't help with things like that. He's changed as MIL's abilities have decreased.)

Perhaps it is what FIL grew up with and he's just pulling off memory.

I'll definitely chalk this up to my "learn something new everyday" bit.

Years ago I learned that some people add salt to watermelon via FIL... that one makes me gag too... but it's still good to know IMO.

My grandma used to salt her watermelon!

You can salt watermelon, cantaloupe and grapefruit...it isn't bad.

Lately there is salt on caramel and chocolate everywhere I look.

My grandma used to salt her watermelon!

I know I've seen that one mentioned in a thread on here more than once (not necessarily its own thread), so it's not all that unusual, but it sure was for me - esp the first time I tasted it! :ack2:

You can salt watermelon, cantaloupe and grapefruit...it isn't bad.

Lately there is salt on caramel and chocolate everywhere I look.

I don't/can't eat any of those foods when salt has been added.  I like them all without salt though.

In general, I prefer salty foods over sweet, so I've no idea where my tasting wires got crossed... somewhere I suppose.