Menu

What's your favorite kids science magazine?

I had been looking too. I've looked at Nat'l Geo and Ranger Rick at the library. I agree that Ranger Rick is better, but its almost all about animals. That gets old after a while since children's fiction is also full of animals.

Is there anything for kids that's more about physics, mechanics, earth and space science?

We like Ranger Rick more than National Geographic.  Ask is also great (cricketmag.com).

We are past that stage now, but same for us.  Ds liked Nat. Geo Kids fine, but I did not like the ad heavy approach and where even the articles seem like infomercials.  

Popular Science also has an ad heavy infomercial feel to it, but at least ds is a little older and we can talk about that...though it still probably affects the child on an emotional level to want the various doodads.

The adult Discover magazine sometimes had interesting science based articles and so does Smithsonian.

The Cricket group has more than one science related magazine and none of their publications are chock full of ads.

We found National Geographic Kids to be far too full of advertising for our tastes.

:iagree:  Stay away from NG Kids.  Not only does it have ads, but also product placement which is more insidious.  

I'm sad to report that Kids Discover Magazine, which was lovely, no longer offers a print subscription.  But it looks like it does sell its back issues which may be worth considering.  I still miss my Kids Discover magazine.  

:iagree: Stay away from NG Kids. Not only does it have ads, but also product placement which is more insidious.

I'm sad to report that Kids Discover Magazine, which was lovely, no longer offers a print subscription. But it looks like it does sell its back issues which may be worth considering. I still miss my Kids Discover magazine.

Kids Discover magazine also runs some big sales throughout the year. I think it was 30-50% off last Black Friday when I bought the huge full set of back issues. I dole them out once or twice per week and can coordinate them to go along with what we're learning in science or history, which is perfect.

• Like 1

I'm looking for a good science magazine for my 2nd grader. Anyone have a preference, Ranger Rick over National Geographic Kids? Or is there something else out there that we'd like?

Ranger Rick is read MUCH more than national Geographic Kids here. (We cancelled the Kids subscription)

• Like 1

Kids Discover? Issues include topics from a broad range of science and social studies.

Kids Discover has been discontinued as a periodical.  :(

Back issues are available on many subjects.  If you decide to go that route, you could just purchase 12 issues on the subject you want (say, space topics or Asian studies) and dole them out one at a time.  I have found them to be too advanced for the 2nd graders with whom I have worked (unless you plan to do at least some of the reading).  Content-wise, Kids Discover is challenging and rewarding.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Ranger Rick or Ask from Cricket Magazine is the direction I would go.  We have both, and we love both.  Visit your local library and have your child look at both and pick what they would enjoy the most.  And you can choose differently next year if you'd rather.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

We DO NOT have National Geographic Kids in the house.  *angry face*

--There is too much advertising.  My kids could not tell the difference between the advertising and the real articles.

--The format was more, "Ripley's Believe It or Not!" with unrelated facts, rather than articles that teach and inform on a subject.

Again, visit your local library to peruse a few issues and judge for yourself.

Disclaimer: National Geographic Little Kids is a worthy publication for toddlers and preschoolers.  There is no advertising, and every issue comes with "animal cards" that I collect and save for when we do activities with categorizing animals.

Not to hijack...

Has anyone here subscribed to muse or dig?

Would you recommend them?

I used to subscribe for my classroom and thought they were great.  I was 3-5 and thought Dig was better.  I'd kind of forgotten about them and my kiddos would probably like them a lot now.