Menu

Have you heard of this - moving in, but not really?

momofkhm

A friend of dd's moved her stuff up to her school on Wednesday.  The school is 45ish minutes away.  She and her mom took the 40 minutes allowed in the parking lot and moved her stuff in, set up furniture, etc and then came home.  Both of them.

They will move what is left and the daughter in tomorrow.

I've never heard of moving stuff in but not the student.  

Well, my daughter is technically moving her stuff into the dorm sometime tomorrow but I'm guessing she'll be spending the night tomorrow and maybe Sunday here and maybe even Monday and Tuesday because classes don't start until Wednesday and she's working full-time during the day on Monday and Tuesday.  She also wouldn't be able to take her daily dip in our pool if she stays on campus :)  An advantage of living close by.

• Like 4

I did this all 4 years.  My college was only 30 minutes from home and my parents owned their own business and heavily relied on the kids to help on the weekends.  So every year, we dropped my stuff off when it was more convenient and then I went home and worked a day or two until registration.  I knew quite a few people who did this.

My daughter has done something like this pretty much every year.  We live 30 minutes from her school if it's not rush hour so it's easy to move her in and come back home.  Usually it's because I'll help move her in with the Suburban on a day I'm off work, then she'll take the last of her stuff in her Jeep the day or two before classes start.

• Like 1

This is how it's happening for my daughter as well, and it's been a little confusing!  She has been told she can pick up her room key on one day, even though orientation (for transfers) doesn't begin til several days later.  They said she can move in anytime she wants after that, although she does need to pick up her key on that one day.  Apparently sophomores on up do it that way, to make way for the freshmen moving in the following week.