Menu

Need a cookbook recommendation

Kim in Appalachia

If she can already cook, then I would skip "The Basics" and just go with How To Cook Everything.  If you wanted to add to it, I personally love How To Cook Everything Vegetarian.  

He just is great at writing a recipe that conveys the basics, and then gives you tips and ideas on how to elevate what you've just made.  Or how to change what you've just made to reflect a completely different flavor profile.  On top of that, his recipes are solid and tasty.  

• Like 1

Quick Cook by Martha Stewart is a pretty good standby for that.  It's a little more upscale than the standard fastish food, and once you have your kitchen stocked with mustards, jellies, herbs, spices, etc. it's pretty easy to pull off the recipes.  They are good.

It's oldish but it's a good compromise between 'better than plain food' but 'fast and recognizable.'

I was looking at that book, but the reviews said it was more about tips and prep and not recipes.  Did it have good recipes?  I like his stuff, but he can get complicated.  

I think he teaches techniques through the preparation of recipes that are more varied and substantive than the usual beginner cookbooks. If you look through the table of contents you can click on the links to see some sample recipes.

http://www.amazon.com/How-Cook-Everything-Basics-Food--/dp/0470528060/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1439335934&sr=8-1&keywords=how+to+cook+everything+the+basics

It might still not be right for your daughter, but I wouldn't discount the cookbook for the reasons mentioned above.

• Like 1

I am a huge fan of Clueless in the Kitchen.  It has basic, not-fussy recipes for lots of simple meals of the kind a young person is likely to want to make (nothing exotic).  The recipes are from scratch, but don't require an arsenal of special cookware or hard-to-find ingredients.  There is also a Clueless baking book and one for vegetarians.  The author assumes the reader doesn't know a ton about cooking, so there are helpful explanations for things other books sometimes take for granted.  (For example, in the roast chicken recipe you use a mixture of olive oil, salt, pepper, paprika, and garlic to rub on the chicken.  The author explains you should do it like rubbing on sunscreen - something most young people can understand.

There are also quite a few cake/frosting recipes throughout the series (along with other desserts, though the focus is on main courses), all of which are very simple and absolutely delish!  Anyone who usually makes cakes from a mix should try the recipes in this series - they are just as easy as a mix and taste way, way better! 

My 2 favorite books are "Joy of Cooking" or Bittman's "How to Cook  Everything"...

I own a hard copy of Bittman's book and got a free copy on my ipad back in the day. Bittman's How to Cook Everything and the veggie version looks like it still has an ipad option for like ~10$.

I prefer the hard copy version but younger folks might prefer the cheaper, very well done digital version...

Pioneer Woman is great.

But for super young people, and singles, I look for the cookbooks that are "Cooking with Three Ingredients" or "...with 4 Ingredients."  Because Ingredients are elusive to the  young.