Menu

Looking for men's dress pants 31 or 32 by 36, any suggestions?

cjzimmer1

So my son keeps growing taller but not really any wider and we are struggling to find dress clothes for him.  Everywhere I'm looking stops with 34 length and they just aren't long enough.  The places I've found that carrying that length don't have waist sizes small enough.  We are looking for actual dress pants and suits not just dressy casual pants.  Any suggestions on where to look?  Bonus points if they are affordable.

Also he doesn't like the slim fit cuts.  He says he's already tall and skinny enough, no need to emphasize the fact.

We are at this stage also but haven't bought more than jeans. A friend with a really tall husband told me Land's End.

I've looked there but for tall pants the smallest waist they carry is 34.  DS technically has a 30 inch waist but he can make do with 31 or 32 waist, the 34 waists is just too much material so no matter how much i try to "adjust" the extra material around his waist it still puckers horribly.

But thanks for the suggestion.

• Like 1

Gap and Old Navy sell 32x36 online. I haven't been able to find anything smaller (waist wise) than that.  My son is 6'3" and around 140lbs, so finding stuff is impossible.  It's frustrating.  We can't get anything at the stores, everything has to be bought online.  And his feet are now a 13.  If they grow anymore (he's 15, so....) we'll have to get shoes online too.  

• Like 1

Lands End used to sell 32x36, but the quality significantly declined several years ago so I haven't bought any since. I don't recommend them now.

Gap and Banana Republic sell 32x36 online, but these styles sell out quickly. You will probably have to pay full price.

We usually order dress pants from menswear stores and get them tailored. There have been a few where the pants had to be recut to fit properly. Our clothing budget always includes a cost to tailor, otherwise the pants don't fit correctly.

ETA: nordstroms also has 31x36 cotton dress pants. They look like they're similar to what Lands End used to offer. I just checked the closet and all the pants either have no brand (meaning we ordered them from a menswear shop) or they're Banana Republic.

• Like 1

Also he doesn't like the slim fit cuts. He says he's already tall and skinny enough, no need to emphasize the fact.

I've found over the years that a proper slim cut (not skinny) is more flattering than a roomier cut on slim men. Pants that are too baggy make the man look like he's wearing the wrong clothes. Unfortunately one brand's slim may be equivalent to another brand's skinny so he'll need to shop around. And stay away from pleats! They are not flattering.

• Like 2

Walmart. That is consistently where I've had the most luck. I have also shopped at JCPenny when they have a big sale.

ETA: just noticed the dress pants/suits factor. Do you have a suit shop nearby (like Men's Warehouse or Joseph A. Banks)? They often have buy-one-get-one (or two) free sales.

• Like 1

Gap and Old Navy sell 32x36 online. I haven't been able to find anything smaller (waist wise) than that.  My son is 6'3" and around 140lbs, so finding stuff is impossible.  It's frustrating.  We can't get anything at the stores, everything has to be bought online.  And his feet are now a 13.  If they grow anymore (he's 15, so....) we'll have to get shoes online too.  

My son went into a size 13 shoe at 14 and I was dreading that too but he's still in the same size 4 years later.  His feet grew before the height the came. I have seen up to a 15 in tennis shoes at our local discount stores (Walmart, Target and Shopko).  We also have several large shoe stores that carry up to a 18 in store so for us shoes haven't been a problem.

• Like 1

I've found over the years that a proper slim cut (not skinny) is more flattering than a roomier cut on slim men. Pants that are too baggy make the man look like he's wearing the wrong clothes. Unfortunately one brand's slim may be equivalent to another brand's skinny so he'll need to shop around. And stay away from pleats! They are not flattering.

Since multi quote isn't working, I'll respond to both of yours here.  Couldn't find actual dress pants in the right size at Gap, closest was a khaki pants which while they look nice, are not dressy enough for our purposes. We had looked in the Banana Republic store.  They happened to have a pair of khaki's returned in 32x36 so DS got to try those on.  They were tolerable to him on the skinniness factor The salesperson said that style was discontinued and was replaced by an even skinnier version.  For him he hates the feel of the fabric rubbing his skin and the tightness feeling.  My family is pretty much anti-fashion.  We don't care about latest fashion or even if something is viewed as in fashion or out of fashion.  We understand there are times you have to dress up but we still want to be comfortable. So he would much rather where a less proper fitting pants that is comfortable than one that "fits" properly but has skinny legs.  In other words, he will continue to wear his high wader 34's than wear a skinny 36.  I've tried to persuade him but it just ain't happening

Walmart. That is consistently where I've had the most luck. I have also shopped at JCPenny when they have a big sale.

ETA: just noticed the dress pants/suits factor. Do you have a suit shop nearby (like Men's Warehouse or Joseph A. Banks)? They often have buy-one-get-one (or two) free sales.

I didn't even know Walmart sold suit stuff.  Will have to go check them out.  We tried JC Penny, they don't have anything with the right waist and length even online.  The salesperson was sure they did but when he searched their site, he realized he was mistaken. 

We don't have any of those others stores around here but knowing the names of stores at least gives me places to look online.  I had exhausted all the names of places I could think of so was looking for my ideas to try.  I will look through and see if we can find anything.

ETA: nordstroms also has 31x36 cotton dress pants. They look like they're similar to what Lands End used to offer. I just checked the closet and all the pants either have no brand (meaning we ordered them from a menswear shop) or they're Banana Republic.

Oh I haven't tried nordstroms. I will look and see if we can find anything there.

Thanks for all the suggestions, It's given me a few more ideas of places to look.  I've tried google searches but they never seem to give me what I need, always either the right waist or the right length but never together.

And if anyone has further suggestions feel free to add them.

My DH wears 32x36. The last round of work pants are tailored khakis from gap online in relaxed fit. They are definitely nicer than khakis from old navy.

I totally understand not liking the current slim cuts. They make him look even skinnier and he doesn't like them so tight.

Nordstroms brand is good, but their reviews all said the cut had changed recently to be slimmer. They do sell Unhemmed though.

His suits are from Mens Warehouse. Other than those, I buy all his pants online. Search for coupon codes:)