Menu

Day 4 of Whole 30--starving to death!

Moxie

Really, the only change to my diet is giving up dairy. I no longer have cheese on my eggs or cream in my coffee. I've switched from butter to EVOO and coconut oil. I just ate lunch 30 minutes early and I'm starving already. Should I try to up my fat (how??)?? I'm getting plenty of protein. I can't deal with being hungry--that is when I cheat and bust into the bag of chocolate chips!

Well, eating carbs is only okay if your body can handle them. Those ramp my appetite up like crazy. If you're hungry, eat more. Don't calorie count or control your intake, just eat ad libitum of the allowed foodlists even if it seems crazy. An enormous salad and half a roast chicken, for example. Your appetite will regulate but without some of the items you've been eating that energy needs to be replaced somehow.

I had 4 sausage links and probably 2 cups of brussel spouts fried in EVOO.

That's not much food, and it's extremely low in fiber. I, too, would add an egg to that and another vegetable - a good serving of beets or carrots, most likely, or maybe a roasted sweet potato. I'd also have a salad ready to go in case I got hungry afterwards.

• Like 1

Definitely eat more, also more variety.  Add more fat than just frying in oil.  That might include adding a blob of ghee on your veges, making a dressing with olive oil as a base for using on a salad, adding avocado or an egg or two.  Eat when you're hungry, in the first week it might be five meals a day.  Then your body will kick into using the fat as an energy source rather than carbs.  So if you're hungry half an hour after eating lunch, make something else to eat.  But if you eat decent size meals, you probably won't have to do that so much.

Are nuts permitted? Walnuts, almonds...look for some of the fat ball recipes. We make cookie dough balls out of almonds, coconut oil/meat, vanilla some honey and I usually put a few mini chocolate chips in them. Roll, freeze, then fridge. I'm sure the chips and maybe the honey aren't on Whole 30, but you could adjust. They're nice to grab and go. My toddler almost lives on them. You just need to up the fat.

• Like 1

I agree, eat more.  Once you get your blood sugar more regulated, you will likely be less hungry.

I've never tried Whole 30 specifically, but lower carb.  At first I allowed myself to eat as much as I wanted.  Even if that meant eating 30 minutes later after breakfast.  After awhile I felt less hungry in general and wasn't hungry 30 minutes after a meal.

I don't buy into the anti dairy thing though.  I always had heavy cream, butter, cheese, etc.  Not sure what the anti dairy thing is all about.  

Did you hear that loud thump last night??? It was me, falling off the wagon. The donuts I got the kids for breakfast aren't W30 compliant either. Yeah, I fell hard.

• Like 4

I agree, eat more.  Once you get your blood sugar more regulated, you will likely be less hungry.

I've never tried Whole 30 specifically, but lower carb.  At first I allowed myself to eat as much as I wanted.  Even if that meant eating 30 minutes later after breakfast.  After awhile I felt less hungry in general and wasn't hungry 30 minutes after a meal.

I don't buy into the anti dairy thing though.  I always had heavy cream, butter, cheese, etc.  Not sure what the anti dairy thing is all about.  

Dairy causes bloating and congestion in a lot of people. After doing a whole 30, a lot of people will add dairy back to see how it affects them, and if they have no ill effects, they add it back permanently.

Did you hear that loud thump last night??? It was me, falling off the wagon. The donuts I got the kids for breakfast aren't W30 compliant either. Yeah, I fell hard.

That's OK. It is very easy to fail if you aren't properly prepared. Many people fail because they don't eat enough in the beginning and that really is the key to getting passed those cravings the first few days.

• Like 2

And that is more likely to happen if you are hungry. 

Granted, I can eat stuff without being hungry at all, but I can resist temptations way better when not hungry.

Dairy causes bloating and congestion in a lot of people. After doing a whole 30, a lot of people will add dairy back to see how it affects them, and if they have no ill effects, they add it back permanently.

That may be, but why would a person automatically assume it causes them bloating and congestion?  Because they read somewhere it does in some people? 

That may be, but why would a person automatically assume it causes them bloating and congestion? Because they read somewhere it does in some people?

You don't automatically assume that. You eliminate all possible culprits and then slowly reintroduce one group at a time to see what is causing the issue.

• Like 1

That may be, but why would a person automatically assume it causes them bloating and congestion?  Because they read somewhere it does in some people? 

No, I don't think it's an automatic assumption, at least not as part of the Whole 30 philosophy. Whole 30 is an elimination diet, but after the Whole 30, people try adding back all sorts of things - dairy, legumes, gluten, grains, etc. to test the effect on their body. When one feels crappy, but is eating all those things at once, it is difficult to tease out whether any of them is the culprit, but by eliminating all of them and adding them back one at a time, it's easier to discern. It's the same concept used by many migraine sufferers.

• Like 1

No, I don't think it's an automatic assumption, at least not as part of the Whole 30 philosophy. Whole 30 is an elimination diet, but after the Whole 30, people try adding back all sorts of things - dairy, legumes, gluten, grains, etc. to test the effect on their body. When one feels crappy, but is eating all those things at once, it is difficult to tease out whether any of them is the culprit, but by eliminating all of them and adding them back one at a time, it's easier to discern. It's the same concept used by many migraine sufferers.

ah ok..now I get it.

• Like 1

Are nuts permitted? Walnuts, almonds...look for some of the fat ball recipes. We make cookie dough balls out of almonds, coconut oil/meat, vanilla some honey and I usually put a few mini chocolate chips in them. Roll, freeze, then fridge. I'm sure the chips and maybe the honey aren't on Whole 30, but you could adjust. They're nice to grab and go. My toddler almost lives on them. You just need to up the fat.

Oh, I just made some of these for the first time last night except I used walnuts.  Heaven!  Even my healthy food adverse hubby likes them.

Stefanie

Well, eating carbs is only okay if your body can handle them. Those ramp my appetite up like crazy. If you're hungry, eat more. Don't calorie count or control your intake, just eat ad libitum of the allowed foodlists even if it seems crazy. An enormous salad and half a roast chicken, for example. Your appetite will regulate but without some of the items you've been eating that energy needs to be replaced somehow.

Yep! If you want to keep on the W30 eat all you have to of "safe" foods, I also agree with high fat and high fiber- low carb veggies.