Menu

Skipping 6th Grade- Ideas?

The third year is NOT a charm!

My son has a February birthday, so when he started ps in K he was already older than a lot of the kids in his class. He was held back in 1st grade, so now he is a 12 1/2yo going into 6th grade, the same grade as his sister who is 18 months younger. We have never made a big deal about it, and I didn't think it bothered him.A few days ago he asked me if he could skip 6th grade and be a 7th grader. I was taken aback and I told it would be a lot of work to skip a grade and he should think about whether he wanted to commit to that level of work. 

Honestly, I think he can do it. I have seen him make a huge developmental leap in the past year. Ds and Dd get the same work, and he finishes it faster and seems to make more connections in whatever we are studying. I think Dd has some issues holding her back, but I don't think that is the only reason for this disparity in ability. I talked to him last night. He had thought about it, and he was willing to do extra work. I asked him why he wanted to skip. He said he wanted to do harder things, and he was embarrassed about meeting kids his age that were in 7th or 8th grade. Ok, I can understand that.

Now, cue my freakout. All my planning- out the window! It is August, we do a light summer schedule, and we were just starting back up to regular schedule. This means that next year is 8th grade!  :svengo:

Here is the real question:

How does 7th grade differ from 6th grade? How do I differentiate instruction? 

History: We are going to use Story of US this year, maybe I could add US History Detective to his work? 

Math: an extra math session? Key to Series?

Writing: We were going to work on paragraph skills and outlining this year, I could take him through it faster, and then start on WWS1 in January.

Lit: He wants to read more challenging books than his sister. Ok.

Science: We are doing CPO Earth Science. Make him write some reports? 

Anyone have any suggestions? 

• Like 1

I understand where you and he are coming from, and I can completely understand his desire to be in "7th grade" like his age-mates.  I don't think grade level is all that important for homeschoolers, if you are going to homeschool all the way.  If you are planning on putting him in b&m school for high school, what I'd be looking at is what does he need to do to be ready for high school level work, and can he realistically get there in two years.  I would think that's doable given what you describe.

For me, the main decision would be based on math level, I think. Was he going to be doing 6th grade math this upcoming year? Or is he ready for PreAlgebra? What is normal in your area? What class would you see him wanting to do in 9th grade - you would want to be in Algebra 1 at least - and can he get there from where he is?  And, given that he is your Future Engineer, do you want him to do Algebra 1 in 8th? Would he be ready for that?

I do think that you can call him a 7th grader and require more in-depth work from him - more writing assignments, deeper analysis, more challenging supplemental reading books, etc.  I would just think through the math thing and make a decision, depending on whether I planned to continue homeschooling or whether I was preparing a kid for b&M high school.

• Like 1

I think his request is fair. It sounds like he is a 7th grader by nearly any age estimation. My rising 6th graders are going to be 11 yo for their whole 6th grade year.

I'm not sure why you need to differentiate much. I mean, like you're saying, high school comes sooner and there are some long term things to think about, but mostly... he's homeschooled. It's not like you'll say, oh, he's in 7th grade, let's skip a whole year's worth of math or writing. No, you're going to continue to meet him where he is. And presumably you'll continue to combine him with his sister for content subjects.

Maybe you'll want to add a little bit more of something... I'm not clear what math he's doing. Pre-algebra? Algebra? Not yet there? If he's not to pre-A yet, I might want to add a little math. Maybe a little more writing, but it depends.

I think the biggest adjustment will be your mentality about him. When he does work, you're going to think, oh, is this "7th grade" work and just be raising your expectations of him. That's probably good in some ways, but also a trap in others. He's still the same kid, on his own path. Simply raising your expectations may help some, but it could also hurt if you start to push him to do things he's not ready for. I would just try to keep that in mind throughout the year - trying to strike that balance.

• Like 5

You don't need to differentiate instruction. You don't need to catch up or double up on anything. You just do 7th. You refer to him as being "in" 7th.

Couldn't you go ahead and start WWS1, and allow a little extra time if he needs it for outlining? I wouldn't worry about "paragraph skills." Those will work themselves out in actual writing.

• Like 1

Were it me, I'd tell my kid, "Sure. You're now a 7th grader. Here's your 7th grade work. Anything you don't know because you skipped over 6th grade material is your responsibility to learn. I will help you if you need help." 

At the level your son is, it really doesn't matter whether he skips 6th grade (except probably in math). If you think he is capable of 7th grade work, give it to him and fill in around the edges with ad hoc lessons when he encounters something he is expected to already know but doesn't.

• Like 5

I'd add in different electives.  A foreign language, perhaps?  Or a coding language? 

It could be what he's asking for is to be seen as separate, and in that case I'd give him different language arts and math.  History and science could be with both kids, but you can choose a different curriculum for the other two subjects.

• Like 2

My recommendation is to use resources that are appropriate for him and to not worry about grade level.  If his age-grade is 7th, I'd just call him a 7th grader.  If you need to adjust later, as long as he is not in a b&m school, you can.

• Like 6

He is 7th grade age. If he'll really work for it I'd absolutely give him that option.

History: Why not just use what you have planned and make his assignments more difficult? History of US can still be used by a 7th or 8th grader. Hewitt Homeschooling makes a $10 syllabus you could use for him (tests included).

Math: Don't skip anything! Just keep working wherever he's at. If he wants the next number on the front of that book he'll have to earn it himself.

Writing: sounds good

Lit: sounds good

Science: I'd explain that content subjects aren't really graded. Just set the bar higher for performance. Maybe include some WTM-style writing across the curriculum if needed

Here's this year's 7th grade planning thread if you want to get a feel for what others are doing. There will be kids all over the spectrum on that thread. Advanced, average, behind, and anything between.

• Like 1

.  If you are planning on putting him in b&m school for high school, what I'd be looking at is what does he need to do to be ready for high school level work, and can he realistically get there in two years.  

:Iagree:

The only difference in science for 6th vs 7th year in B&M is that 6th is earth science and 7th is life science.  It is just a first go round and you go as deep as you want.

• Like 1

I would just take the next step in English and math no matter what grade you call him. I'd teach science and history, but I'm not sure it matters too much the order in middle school.

In general, I'd teach at his level and push him to step up to more work no matter if you call him 6th or 7th.

• Like 1

I have one that I "redshirted" (as far as you can redshirt in homeschool) because she has apraxia and was working on physical and speech milestones at age 5.  She was also a summer baby, so she officially started K at age 6 and a couple of weeks.  She made huge strides in about 2nd grade.  She ended up wanting to be in 4th grade last year, so we called her a 4th grader.  No real changes made to anything -- she went from being slightly ahead to being slightly behind, but no biggie.  

In your case, I would call him what he wanted to be called, a 7th grader.  I wouldn't change much.

The only difference in science for 6th vs 7th year in B&M is that 6th is earth science and 7th is life science.  It is just a first go round and you go as deep as you want.

That does seem to be true many places, but it really depends on your state.

I second that if the ultimate plan is b&m school to think about how this changes things for that and whether it's a good idea in light of that. That's really the only reason I would consider not doing it - otherwise it's just relabeling what you're already doing.

• Like 1

"Poof! You're a seventh grader!"

That's what I'd say in this instance. You're only talking about a year's difference according to your curriculum, and it's almost impossible that you've been following a public school scope and sequence, anyway, with which to compare him. It's definitely impossible that all public schoolers in your area (or state, or nation, or world) are at the same place in every grade level.

Unless he were greatly and noticeably behind his age-mate peers (in Sunday school or other organizations) in every way academically, I'd call him the grade level that matches his age but continue to teach him the lessons he needs as an individual.

• Like 4

I would let him work ahead/do extra lessons in math so he can "catch up" if he's still using a 6th grade textbook, have him read more difficult/mature literature, and expect a bit more out of his writing and call him a 7th grader. I like your plan for writing. You might also consider Lial's Basic College Math, which covers all skills needed through 7th grade, and he can start Pre-Algebra in 8th.

I'd tell him sure you are now a 7th grader, change out his math (hand holding Pre-Alg or by the subject Math Mammoth) and require something  more for writing and tell him his science and history writing/ tests will be a little bit harder, otherwise I'd stick to the way you're going.  Like Rose said, the math is the key.  Plan to get to Algebra in 8th or at the latest 9th (which at least puts you at Pre-Calc by 12th).

• Like 1

I understand where you and he are coming from, and I can completely understand his desire to be in "7th grade" like his age-mates.  I don't think grade level is all that important for homeschoolers, if you are going to homeschool all the way.  

For me, the main decision would be based on math level, I think. Was he going to be doing 6th grade math this upcoming year? Or is he ready for PreAlgebra? What is normal in your area? What class would you see him wanting to do in 9th grade - you would want to be in Algebra 1 at least - and can he get there from where he is?  And, given that he is your Future Engineer, do you want him to do Algebra 1 in 8th? Would he be ready for that?

I do think that you can call him a 7th grader and require more in-depth work from him - more writing assignments, deeper analysis, more challenging supplemental reading books, etc.  I would just think through the math thing and make a decision, depending on whether I planned to continue homeschooling or whether I was preparing a kid for b&M high school.

I would be really surprised if this kid would ever want to go back to public school because he had such bad experiences in ps. At this point, our plan is to homeschool all the way through high school. Even if I went back to work, he would work on his own.  

I am concerned about math.

He was a little behind for 6th grade, now he is going to be a lot behind for 7th. I think he is ready for pre algebra; a year ago I couldn't get him to work on math for more than half an hour without his eyes glazing over, and now there is less struggle and he can work longer. We are using MEP, which we really like, but it is a challenge to accelerate. My current plan is to find the MEP lessons corresponding to the topics in the scope and sequence of a pre algebra book. I have 3 different pre algebra programs that we can try out to see which one he likes better. I would like him to be ready for Algebra 1 by 8th, but we will see how it goes.  

• Like 1

Thank you so much for your replies! 

I have been mulling this over the past few days. I will let him call himself 7th grade, and we will move on to some 7th grade stuff. I will keep them together for art, music, history and science so that I don't go crazy. Math and writing, I think he can handle a little push in those subjects. I warned him, and he is expecting it. I think he was ready for this but I just didn't notice. I was just doing the next thing and he had a mental growth spurt instead of a physical one. 

I think also that he wants to do more things on his own rather than being lumped together with his sister. When I was his age, I did the same thing. I quit Girl Scouts because I did it with my Mom and my sister, I stopped playing the violin because my sister also played the violin. I just wanted something of my own. 

• Like 5

Mental growth spurts can sneak up on you, can't they? The physical ones are so obvious that it can be hard to notice that a kid has really made a mental/intellectual leap too.  We are experiencing that at the moment, a big maturity jump.  Some of that stuff that seemed impossible or improbable a few months ago is starting to seem more reasonable now.  I'm starting to see that my child might actually be ready for DE when she's 14, so I better be thinking about what I need to do to help her prepare.

• Like 1

I would be really surprised if this kid would ever want to go back to public school because he had such bad experiences in ps. At this point, our plan is to homeschool all the way through high school. Even if I went back to work, he would work on his own.

I am concerned about math.

He was a little behind for 6th grade, now he is going to be a lot behind for 7th. I think he is ready for pre algebra; a year ago I couldn't get him to work on math for more than half an hour without his eyes glazing over, and now there is less struggle and he can work longer. We are using MEP, which we really like, but it is a challenge to accelerate. My current plan is to find the MEP lessons corresponding to the topics in the scope and sequence of a pre algebra book. I have 3 different pre algebra programs that we can try out to see which one he likes better. I would like him to be ready for Algebra 1 by 8th, but we will see how it goes.

Which year of MEP is he in?

I would.... jump to MEP year 7.... (assuming you planned to do MEP past year 6.) It has a bit of a different format, can be done in a more independant manner, and is basically a pre-algebra course.... it assumes various skill levels i students. And it will even have that number 7 on it! It is considered in some ways to be easier than MEP 5 and 6, while still challenging.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

• Like 1