Menu

Stress and hair loss

fairfarmhand

The past 6 months have been horridly stressful and we're still going to have quite a bit of it for the foreseeable future. my dh's work has been insane for months, thigs, everything....keeps breaking here at home. My fil is dying from cancer. My dd is starting her senior year so we're looking at testing, scholarship applications, etc.

Because of my fil's condition, we need to go down (2 hours one way) every weekend to help till he passes, and to spend precious time with him.

And then there's farm stuff.

I have simplified life as much as possible, but some of this stuff just has to play out.

My hair's falling out. It's got to be stress related, because nothing else has changed. I haven't had my thyroid checked in about 18 months, but I really would be surprised if that's it because (other than life issues) I feel fine and have a decent energy level when I get adequate sleep and eat properly.

Is there anything I can do to help with the hair loss? It seems that my body deals with stress in this way...it happened a couple of years ago too and was just starting to get pretty again.

According to my hairdresser, this is very, very common. In my case, it was combined with post partum shedding (late term miscarriage). I tried to eat well, take a good vitamin and tried not to stress my hair. No blow drying, no ponytails and very gentle and infrequent washing.

Also a temporary sleep aid helped to at least face the stress rested. I am so sorry about the road you are walking.

stress is very taxing on vitamin b levels, and can deplete them fairly quickly.  for starters - seriously increase your intake.  even if you need to start taking a high quality b supplement.  (I used emerald laboratories b-healthy because it is very bioavailable - meaning your body doesn't have to convert them to be able to use them. you lose a lot in the conversion.)

has your thyroid been checked?

• Like 1

According to my hairdresser, this is very, very common. In my case, it was combined with post partum shedding (late term miscarriage). I tried to eat well, take a good vitamin and tried not to stress my hair. No blow drying, no ponytails and very gentle and infrequent washing.

Also a temporary sleep aid helped to at least face the stress rested. I am so sorry about the road you are walking.

I have experienced this both with late miscarriage and high stress levels. I agree with no ponytails. Also, taking my long hair to a shoulder-brushing bob really helped. Biotin supplementation has been recommended to me, but that's more to aid regrowth than to prevent fallout. Vitamin D is helpful and I know my levels are never too high, so try to stay on that. Funny you should post this today, things have been stressful here lately and I have been losing hair again, too.

I had no issues besides hair loss, but it turned out to be a thyroid issue.  I wasn't tired, or putting on weight, or anything else that is sometimes indicative of a thyroid issue.  I'd have it checked out.

I have also heard that added zinc to your diet can help with hair loss. 

Agreeing with the previous posters. 

The condition is called telogen effluvium.

There are quite a few WTM threads which have discussed it.

It's very hard to just "lower your stress" and "wait until it grows back."

One solution is to adopt a shorter hair cut.

It really does not ALL fall out, it is just a thinning.

So sorry you're experiencing this!

Ugh, I feel your pain. My once REALLY thick beautiful curly hair is now significantly thinner. It has been happening for about 6 months now and it's like a little of me dies everytime I take a shower and see it all fall out. In my case, it might be weight loss as I've lost 50 lbs in the past 5 months. I also had my thyroid test and it's not that. Could be stress too but I don't feel I'm under any more stress than normal...well, besides trying to keep the 50 lbs off! Good luck!

Consider trying a shampoo and conditioner with Nioxin in it.  Sally's carries an inexpensive line, but most hair salons also carry a line of them.  My mom used this when a medication caused hair loss and my younger sister successfully used it to counter stress and a big weight loss.  

Strangely, one rec was to use a blow dryer to help stimulate the scalp.

Thanks for all the suggestions. It does help to know that I am not alone. I have adopted a hairstyle that is much shorter than I'd lilke it and I try to keep it trimmed so it looks nice. It's still depressing. I know, it's just hair, but I never realized how much of my ...what's the word...vanity? was wrapped up in having nice hair.

The past 6 months have been horridly stressful and we're still going to have quite a bit of it for the foreseeable future. my dh's work has been insane for months, thigs, everything....keeps breaking here at home. My fil is dying from cancer. My dd is starting her senior year so we're looking at testing, scholarship applications, etc.

Because of my fil's condition, we need to go down (2 hours one way) every weekend to help till he passes, and to spend precious time with him.

And then there's farm stuff.

I have simplified life as much as possible, but some of this stuff just has to play out.

My hair's falling out. It's got to be stress related, because nothing else has changed. I haven't had my thyroid checked in about 18 months, but I really would be surprised if that's it because (other than life issues) I feel fine and have a decent energy level when I get adequate sleep and eat properly.

Is there anything I can do to help with the hair loss? It seems that my body deals with stress in this way...it happened a couple of years ago too and was just starting to get pretty again.

It might just be genetic.  I hope you can solve it, but I have noticed that it seems to run in families. 

My mom had the most amazing, shampoo-commercial type hair.  It thinned in front and on top.

I did not have the most amazing hair.  It thinned.  Ugh. 

Sympathizing. The last 2 years have been exceptionally stressful and I have watched my hair go down the drain in clumps. I'm told it will grow back once the stress eases. The only upside is that my hair was super thick so now it looks normal and lays flat. But any more and I'll start to have bald patches! No help, sorry, just in that trench with you.

Ok. I got some B vitamin complex, and I may be fooling myself, but it seems that the shedding has drastically been curtailed.

Weird.

However, I think the supplements are messing with my sleep. I haven't had a good nights' sleep since I started taking them. Perhaps that is stress or not, but I am going to try to start taking them in the morning and see what happens.

Ok. I got some B vitamin complex, and I may be fooling myself, but it seems that the shedding has drastically been curtailed.

Weird.

However, I think the supplements are messing with my sleep. I haven't had a good nights' sleep since I started taking them. Perhaps that is stress or not, but I am going to try to start taking them in the morning and see what happens.

Vitamin B needs to be taken the morning or early afternoon.  Don't take them at night.  They are known to increase energy, which won't help with nighttime sleep, if you take them too late in the day.

• Like 1

That happened to me about 6 years ago. My son had just been diagnosed with muscular dystrophy, DH was out of work for a looooong time, my house went into foreclosure, and a trusted friend of TEN years lost significant weight, lost her mind, and made a play for DH. It was surreal. I just started blowing hair like crazy! Luckily most things turned around right after that point. A job was found, a house saved, and a toxic friend cut out. Weirdest time of my life. Never experienced the hair thing before or since.

That happened to me about 6 years ago. My son had just been diagnosed with muscular dystrophy, DH was out of work for a looooong time, my house went into foreclosure, and a trusted friend of TEN years lost significant weight, lost her mind, and made a play for DH. It was surreal. I just started blowing hair like crazy! Luckily most things turned around right after that point. A job was found, a house saved, and a toxic friend cut out. Weirdest time of my life. Never experienced the hair thing before or since.

Of all the times to lose your hair!

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

The past 6 months have been horridly stressful and we're still going to have quite a bit of it for the foreseeable future. 

I hope that you're feeling less stress by now.  :grouphug:

Everyone's given great suggestions. Sorry if I repeat some of them here. 

Diet

Supplements - biotin is very helpful - 5-10 mg

Many who suffer from hair loss also have low iron levels. 

I highly recommend a daily scalp massage. You Tube has some. I can give you links if you're interested, or just do a search. It only takes a few minutes and I believe that it really helps. 

Try to avoid shampooing and conditioning too often. Sulfate-free products are best. 

Alter your hairstyle and part in order to avoid constantly pulling your hair in the same spot or direction. Amish women, who wear their hair pulled back tightly the same way every day of their lives, experience baldness at their part. Hair loss is often from the eternal ponytail.

Try to Avoid:

• Hard brushing

• Tight braids

• Pulling hair back too tightly can make the hair thin in the front

• Pulling hair too hard when blow-drying

• Blow drying if and when you can

• Commercial shampoos or rinses with artificial colors, preservatives, and dyes

• Any shampoo with Sodium Laureth Sulfate. It's the ingredient that makes the shampoo foam up.

• Harsh chemical products and hair spray

• Pantene products causes hair loss for many

• Never use a curling iron on wet or damp hair. This can cause serious breakage and damage in that spot. It is best to blow your hair all the way dry and not leave any wetness, not even a little.

• Avoid backcombing or teasing hair. It is damaging, plain and simple. 

• Do not wash your hair with too hot water.

• Do not wash your hair more than twice a week.

• Do not comb the hair backwards. Use a good quality brush/comb. Avoid excessive brushing.