Menu

R & S English 6 --- input needed...

Beth in SW WA

We used it independently with very good results for years - the kids read the lesson and did the assigned exercises, and then I graded their papers. This year we're doing it a little differently and doing everything but the diagramming orally. My oldest is using a different writing program this year (not because the writing exercises in R&S are somehow inferior, but because he needed a change) so he will skip the writing exercises. He'll still read those lessons, though!

How much can be done orally? Everything but the diagramming?

I keep reading here that this program can be done independently by the student (do the work, correct the work).

Speaking of diagramming, does anyone use colored pencils?

Thanks in advance!

Beth, I think it just really depends on your dc. There are some parts that I feel we can do orally, but then there are others where he really needs to write it down. That's the kind of kid he is though. It really cements it in when he writes it. We are finishing up in R&S 6, and it can get complicated so we have to do the oral practice then the written, but he usually does odd or even. If your early in the book where it's all review then you probably can get away with doing it orally. As for diagramming, we've never used colored pencil, but it sounds like a good idea! He is such a whiz at diagramming now that he probably wouldn't want to take the time to swap pencils. I hope I've helped a bit.

I'm doing R&S Grammar 6 with my 6th grader this year. We do the lessons orally, but my son does write if there's a corresponding worksheet. Sometimes I have him diagram sentences if there hasn't been a worksheet in awhile. Depending on the day, he may write them out on paper, diagram them on our whiteboard, or tell me how he would diagram the sentence orally.

The oral diagramming takes a lot of thought ("First I draw a base line, then I make a dividing line that goes through the base line", etc.), and I think it's valuable for him to be able to "see" the diagram of the sentence because it will help him in his writing later on. When I'm having trouble making a sentence sound right, I visually diagram it in my head to help me decide what's wrong with it. Luckily, my sentences are not as complicated as the sentences we are diagramming in CW Homer B. My goal is to develop this skill in my boys.

HTH!

I agree that it depends on the child. I am doing R&S 5 with my 10 year old son and we spend at least half an hour on a R&S lesson. I teach it, he reads and then writes all the written work. Then we orally cover corrections. Grammar is very conceptual and I believe most kids need real examples and a teacher 'working' the sentences. At least that has been my experience! My son did Growing with Grammar last year independently and did not have good retention. Now, with R&S he is truly gaining a firm grasp on the concepts and is doing much better. Wish I had started R&S sooner. For him, he needs the written practice, so I like it.

We have never used colored pencils.

HTH!

Kisa

I have just started R&S6 with my 12yo son. I don't think he could do it without my help - we are doing the script in the TM first, then we go over the lesson in the book, then the oral exercises- then the review (or sometimes I do the review at the beginning of the next lesson instead), THEN I have him do the worksheet independently. So far, it takes 15 minutes or so together, maybe another 15 to do the worksheet if he is busy arguing with me over it! He keeps telling me they are so easy that they are boring, but he still gets several wrong, usually!

I have a friend whose 2 girls work pretty independently on R&S, but no way could my son, and it is one of the benefits of homeschooling, that I can work with him.

We will probably do the sentence diagramming on the whiteboard to some extent, but I will have him do some independently.

It would be great if I could just hand him the book, but our reality is, that's not going to result in much learning. The length of the instructions in R&S6 is such that he couldn't read and absorb them- grammar gets so abstract.

Hi, Beth!

First, I do the teacher's scripted oral review (from the TM - in the notes on the "border").

Next, we go to the Review Exercises at the end of that day's lesson. This is b/c these exercises are not going to be related to the new material either. We do these orally as well, and sometimes just the odds or evens.

Next, ds reads the lesson independently.

If there is a worksheet he does that. If not, I choose some of the exercises to do orally. If there is diagramming in the exercises he does *some* of those. Usually no more than six.

This takes 20 - 30 minutes per day, tops. But, we have done R&S 3, 4, 5, 6 and now 7.

We do not, generally, do their writing lessons, so we do grammar three times a week.

HTH.

I do all but the diagramming orally with my older dd. We have been doing it this way for 2.5 years. I was skeptical at first that there wouldn't be retention, however her scores on those pesky standardized tests show that it's sticking. I do make her complete the chapter review on paper and the chapter tests.

We're using R&S 6 right now (we began with R&S 3). Here is how we "do it":

• From the TM, I go over the oral questions.
  • From the SM, dd and I take turns reading the paragraphs in each lesson.
  • We choral read the "Remember" box together.
  • We do all of the oral work.
  • DD does either odd or evens for the daily work on her own. I let her begin doing every other one this year (see aside below).
  • I do not correct this work - I can tell whether she gets it or not from the lesson and as we do the TM oral work each day. I will read her work when there is a writing exercise.
  • DD does all of the worksheets. I correct the worksheets. We do not do the tests.

Aside: I had DD tested to seee what grade she would be in for language arts (we used Pearson Learning). The test they gave her in fifth grade, went through eighth grade. They were trying to place her for a pilot computer program for homeschoolers (not on the market yet in the US). She topped out on the test, meaning she was doing work beyond eighth grade. I credit her success to our steady progression through the SWO series, Latin, and R&S. If your child can easily do the work in R&S 6, there is a great possibility that they too have topped out as well. Your child could be on the road of an English major, editor, copywriter, journalist... so don't sweat feeling like you need to "do it all".

HTHs!

I do all but the diagramming orally with my older dd. We have been doing it this way for 2.5 years. I was skeptical at first that there wouldn't be retention, however her scores on those pesky standardized tests show that it's sticking. I do make her complete the chapter review on paper and the chapter tests.

Same story here. Once in a while, I will have my dd do the worksheets if I feel she needs the practice.

I've been using R&S for 8 years.

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't know the program had worksheets or tests. I bought just the TM & text from Quiverof10 used. Should I buy the worksheets? Where are the answers to the worksheets? Answers to tests?

Do the worksheets have the diagramming -- and the kids just fill in the blanks?

We are not doing the writing portion of the text. We are starting chapter 2 this week and I can tell we are all going to know our grammar upside down & backwards by the end of R & S 6.

Thanks you guys. :)

The worksheets that we have done so far this year are almost identical to the written exercises in the book. They do diagramming on some....My daughter just does these written the rest of the lesson we do orally. My son does not have worksheets...I'm considering ordering them though...so I have him do one of the written exercises in his notebook. We have always used Abeka for grammar until switching this year. We have been in school for 13 days and I am amazed at how much progress I see!!! I love all the review they have you do. It may seem tedious at first, but it really makes a difference. When I ask my son to recite the linking verbs (every day) he says, "Oh! This is my favorite part!" I have NEVER heard him say any such thing before!! ( BTW when we started a few weeks ago, he really couldn't tell the difference between a verb and a noun.) Hope this helps.

Jill

We're using R&S 6 right now (we began with R&S 3). Here is how we "do it":

• From the TM, I go over the oral questions.

• From the SM, dd and I take turns reading the paragraphs in each lesson.

• We choral read the "Remember" box together.

• We do all of the oral work.

• DD does either odd or evens for the daily work on her own. I let her begin doing every other one this year (see aside below).

• I do not correct this work - I can tell whether she gets it or not from the lesson and as we do the TM oral work each day. I will read her work when there is a writing exercise.

• DD does all of the worksheets. I correct the worksheets. We do not do the tests.

Aside: I had DD tested to seee what grade she would be in for language arts (we used Pearson Learning). The test they gave her in fifth grade, went through eighth grade. They were trying to place her for a pilot computer program for homeschoolers (not on the market yet in the US). She topped out on the test, meaning she was doing work beyond eighth grade. I credit her success to our steady progression through the SWO series, Latin, and R&S. If your child can easily do the work in R&S 6, there is a great possibility that they too have topped out as well. Your child could be on the road of an English major, editor, copywriter, journalist... so don't sweat feeling like you need to "do it all".

HTHs!

This is exactly what we do! Both of my girls tested significantly above grade level on the CAT.

HTH,

Melissa

Suggestions:

Use a whiteboard to diagram the sentences; ask questions to help your child understand the "why" the word acts as it does in the sentence. I would also have my child use their own hand-held whiteboard at the same time. This way, they are practicing the diagramming, but they don't have the "stress" of writing it on a sheet of paper.

My personal opinion is to stay away from colored pencils (markers, crayons, etc). The idea is to train your child to ask confirmation questions to understand the sentence; switching color writing utensils interrupts the process.

I didn't know the program had worksheets or tests. I bought just the TM & text from Quiverof10 used. Should I buy the worksheets? Where are the answers to the worksheets? Answers to tests?

Do the worksheets have the diagramming -- and the kids just fill in the blanks?

We are not doing the writing portion of the text. We are starting chapter 2 this week and I can tell we are all going to know our grammar upside down & backwards by the end of R & S 6.

Thanks you guys. :)

The worksheets are purely optional. I wouldn't buy them.

we have been using rod and staff for 3 years. I only discovered the worksheets this year I highly recommend them.

what we do is go over the oral section. if there is a corresponding workbook page, they go and do that, if there isn't, we do every 2nd problem in the lesson, and the diagraming. this is for book 6 and 7.

for my younger children, I am just using the rod and staff book4. not the workbooks. we do all the oral section, and then most of the written section, they tell me the answers, I write it on the board, they write it down. the younger ones are still learning their grammar, and benefit from the extra work.