Menu

things homeschooled kids say

Actually, my kids are not even homeschooled but we have done some light summer schooling, including reading SOTW1.

We were driving from MN to WI and as we crossed the Mississippi River followed by the Black River, my 5 year old shouted, "Hey look! Two rivers! It's just like the fertile crescent!"

My husband was totally blown away. Maybe this will get him thinking about switching to homeschooling! Lol

• Like 17

My DS7 needed to tread water for 1 minute to pass his swim test. The lifeguard said his 'trick' was to have them sing their favorite song while treading. So he looks to DS and says 'Who's your favorite artist?' And DS says 'Michelangelo!' The lifeguard just looked confused. So I explained to DS "SONG artist, son...music, songs." :)

• Like 14

My DS7 needed to tread water for 1 minute to pass his swim test. The lifeguard said his 'trick' was to have them sing their favorite song while treading. So he looks to DS and says 'Who's your favorite artist?' And DS says 'Michelangelo!' The lifeguard just looked confused. So I explained to DS "SONG artist, son...music, songs." :)

Lol cute. My kids wouldn't have understood the question either.

Both in the last week, both from BrainPop videos...

Ds: Mom, do you know who said "A house divided against itself cannot stand?"

Me: Yes. Do YOU know who said it???

ds: "Abraham Lincoln"

ds: What is dd3's middle name?

me: Marie

ds: After Madame Curie?

me: Ummmm.... no.

Lol! :)

DD#1 was deciding what her cookie looked like after each bite she took.  At one point, she had it looking kind of like a shoe, but instead of saying that, she declared, "Now it looks like ITALY!"

Of course, there was also the book she was reading to her sister about two little girls who were friends at school.  After the fourth or fifth time she read it, she stopped in the middle of one sentence and said, "Daddy, what exactly is recess?"

• Like 12

My 13 year old thinks she was born in the wrong century when she talks to other teens because she doesn't know any of the popular artists, doesn't play video games or have a cell phone, and she enjoys sewing and gardening which gets her very strange looks from the public school teens.

• Like 5

If someone asks my kids what grade they are in, they get a subject by subject break down.

Both of them know what grade they are supposed to be in, and I've told them several times to keep it short, and sweet.

My DD once got that question and answered "Umm...6.2?" She'd averaged the levels she was working at. After that. I started stressing the "grade level just means age" thing.

• Like 4

At church my child (then 5 year old non reading) was not reading aloud the Bible verse on the board.

Teacher: why aren't you reading it aloud?

My child: I can't read, I'm homeschooled.

Awesome.

:smilielol5:

The tween version of this is when they tell people their school doesn't have social studies and they don't even know what it is.

(Because in a homeschool it's usually called "history.")

• Like 4

Friday was a doozy...

Said loudly at the side of the YMCA swimming pool by dd5: "MOM! Can you see my vulva?! (Opening her mouth as wide as possible) then confidently telling the shocked lady in the lounger that "we learned about vulvas during homeschool today."

Uvula. It's a uvula. Please.

• Like 18

Friday was a doozy...

Said loudly at the side of the YMCA swimming pool by dd5: "MOM! Can you see my vulva?! (Opening her mouth as wide as possible) then confidently telling the shocked lady in the lounger that "we learned about vulvas during homeschool today."

Uvula. It's a uvula. Please.

:lol:

OK, you win.  

• Like 1

My 12 year old: "I hate it when people ask how I get socialized WHEN I'M SOCIALIZING."

And yes indeed, my 10 year old had to look at me so I could help her remember that she's going into 5th grade.

But hey, both of them made eye contact with the nice older gentleman in front of us at church.   :D

Both of them wrote really clever journal entries about the "trials" of being homeschooled.  They were pretty funny!

• Like 4

Oh, Mommy22alyns's post reminded me of another one.  I am doing school year-round.  I told DD#1 in early June, "Oh, by the way, if people ask - you just finished kindergarten, and you're a rising first grader.  At some point in August I'll tell you that you're officially a first grader."  She said okay.  

A week or so later, I overheard someone asking what grade she was in.  "Um...Mommy said I'm...I think she said I'm a first grade riser."  It gave me an interesting mental picture.  :lol:

• Like 4

Well, my daughter just gave me something to add. She is doing a tumbling camp and has been incessantly asked about how she makes friends and whether she wants to go to "real school". So today when one of the girls asked her why she didnt want to go to PS she replied with "Because I don't want to go to prison!"

I am pretty sure it was a frustration reaction to being asked the same question so many times, but I think we may talk about being tactful when we answer that question haha.

• Like 3

Oh, man, this thread is hilarious!

I am sure some of this is not just homeschool but the way they are, but some of my favorites:

I'm not even going to try to describe seven-year-old DD and her colonial clothing obsession, making four trips, over two days, to the milliner's shop at Williamsburg, so she could discuss the minute details of the various types of stays with the proprietor.

At one point, their favorite game was to dress up as Greek/Roman gods and set up a solstice meeting on our back hill. DD put on blue, with foil-covered big round buttons as fasteners, and was Artemis. DS1 wore black and stomped around, muttering that this meeting was taking too long, and couldn't he, Hades, please go back to the underworld? DS2 put on a bright red and orange shirt of DH's and sat in an iron chair, as Hephaestus, and they put a crown on toddler DS3's head and made him Zeus because his name starts with Z. We always say it's a shame they don't have more imagination.

We live near Gettysburg, and three years ago, when my oldest son was seven, we visited a bunch of the Civil War sites. While touring Soldiers National Cemetary, we overheard a bunch of twenty-somethings talking (in American accents, so not likely foreign), and one of them said, "Wait. Lee fought for the Confederates??" Seven-year-old son's eyes about popped out of his head, and he and DD, then ten, started listing multiple generals from both sides.

Also, that same son a few months ago (and this is especially funny if you know my son and his very literal sense of humor), when someone commented that something was taking a long time, replied, "Yeah, it's just like the American Civil War. Everyone thought it would be over quickly, so they just kept watching."

• Like 4