Menu

what do I need to know....my son is getting 4 teeth pulled

ProudGrandma

Is it by an oral surgeon? If so, and if they give you a prescription for pain killers, get it filled before your appointment (or right after if they give it to you at the surgery). Stay ahead of the pain--don't wait for it to get bad and then think, "Oh, maybe we'll need the prescription pain killers after all." It was hard for us because it was our non-verbal, disabled child who had oral surgery for teeth pulling (twice). She couldn't tell us anything and it took us awhile to figure out she was probably in pain. The second time she had surgery we were ready with the pain killers and began them immediately. First two days were hard.

• Like 1

I had that done. :)  It was my "fangs" that were pulled. It wasn't bad and I don't like dental work at all.

Bring an iPod or something so he can listen to music...although most places these days will have things to distract.  

It wasn't so bad.  Tell him he may feel pressure, but it shouldn't actually hurt.  He needs to let them know when they numb him up to speak up if he feels anything.

After they packed my mouth with gauze, and I had an Rx for some good meds.  I think it was Tylenol 3 (with codeine), but could have been something else.  I remember thinking t I was a genius doing my Chinese homework...and when I got it back, I got everything wrong.  LOL  

• Like 1

Is it by an oral surgeon? If so, and if they give you a prescription for pain killers, get it filled before your appointment (or right after if they give it to you at the surgery). Stay ahead of the pain--don't wait for it to get bad  

Yes, yes, yes. If they give you meds, dispense them by the clock, not according to pain level, at least for the first full day. If they don't give you prescription meds, dispense the OTC meds around the clock, and don't hesitate to call and request a scrip or an evaluation if they are not doing the trick. 

They should give you a sheet of instructions to take home. I would probably ask for this upon arrival to make sure we didn't leave without it. 

My dentist has music and TV to choose from (the TV can be tilted to whatever angle), but I prefer my ipod for sound because it blocks out other sounds better. 

Don't let him drink through a straw, and he should do as little rinsing and spitting as possible. These can increase your chances of getting a dry socket, which is freaking hideous and painful. 

Unlimited screen time for distraction  :laugh:

My son had four permanent teeth removed at once.   It was perfectly fine.  He did not need prescription meds, just some Tylenol.  He needed soft foods for several days though. I can't remember exactly, but 3 or 4 days, so plan accordingly.

Good luck!  It is never fun, but for us, it worked out.

I just had 4 teeth removed about a year ago.  Two were permanent teeth, and two were baby teeth for which I had no adult replacements (runs in my family).  My dentist pulled them in 2 separate visits, a week apart.  The reasoning was that I would have one "good" side to chew on as the gaps were starting to heal.  I took some Ibuprofin as the numbing wore off, but I didn't need anything stronger.  I needed soft foods for about 2 weeks in total.

I wish I had realized this when the older kiddo had her FIRST pair of teeth pulled - you can give the ibuprofen (or tylenol) prior to the appointment.

At the second appointment, I did it that way - she took her pills before she went in, and immediately when she came out. And yes - around the clock! It worked much better than waiting until after they were yanked to give her medicine.

Also, you do know you can alternate medicines, right? So you can give ibuprofen first, then tylenol, then ibuprofen. In this way you can give a painkiller slightly more frequently for a greater effect. That's what I always do for fevers and when I have my period, and that's what I did for the extraction.

One of my daughters had 8 teeth pulled over time (or maybe more, it was a lot!).  Afterwards, it really wasn't bad at all.  In fact, I don't even remember, so it must've gone very smoothly.  She probably had Tylonal and ate something soft for the day.

The hardest part for her each time was having them pulled.  It didn't hurt.  They made sure of that.  But to this day, she can still remember the force and the cracking sound as the teeth were pulled.  She said it was quite horrible.  I know that at least one of those times, her sister was in there with her holding her hand.

!. Rice is not an acceptible soft food. Due to size and consistency, it can get stuck in the wound and cause real problems.

2. Those pain  meds that are prescribed are often worse than the pain. I would suggest trying just Tylenol and advil first. If you are prescribed meds, ask for something to help with nausea too. They seem to make most people quite sick.

3. It likely won't be all that bad. Use ice packs to keep the swelling down. Soft, cold foods are best for the first day. Applesauce, soft serve ice cream/yogurt, smoothies eaten with a spoon, jello...

• Like 1

My ds14 had his 4 wisdom teeth removed about three weeks ago. He did have swelling for a longer period than his brothers, but it wasn't too bad pain wise. The surgeon gave him hydrocodone, but said to try ibuprofen first. He said to have him take two every four hours. Worked just fine for him and my ds16 who had his removed on the same day.