Menu

Book a Week 2015 - BW28: history and writing

Robin M

Nan, I am so glad your son is okay! How are you? I imagine I would be a bit shaky afterwards. ...and how wonderful to hear the Slonczewski is being enjoyed by another reader!

MMV, I think I'm the one who mention DJaMH most recently, but the real credit is Stacia' s. I was inspired to revisit it based on her ongoing enthusiastic appreciation.

Jenn, thank you for the glimpses of Comic-Con! I am unlikely to ever get a chance to attend a con, but I love the vicarious pleasures I get from having friends experience so many interesting things.

Angel, I have fond memories of Baby Island - thank you for bringing them to mind.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Timing is not right for me but I will be interested in hearing what you have to say particularly about translations. I have never heard anyone advocate loudly for particular translators of Goethe.

I enjoyed Gessner's book on osprey and their migrations. Next up is a 19th century Russian novel, Mikhail Lermontov's A Hero of Our Time.

I've added the Gessner to my lists - thank you!

I often dislike translations of Goethe, but by German is too rusty for satisfactory reading. ...but I am very much liking the Stuart Atkins translation of Faust that I've been reading.

Idnib, I read Faust part I the other week and have been stalled in my least favorite section of part II....

Angel, I'd wait until you're in a better space... and pick up an old favorite instead. Are you in the mood for some Eddings?

Shukriyya, I haven't read Sparrow. I've picked it up a few times, but mist not have been in the right space to get caught by it.

That is also a pretty good description of When We Were Orphans, the Ishiguro book I just finished. I read Remainsof the Day last year. He must use that style for most of his writing. This time around it made me very tense because I had a better ability to read between the lines and see the narrator's obsessions and personal delusions. Then there is the uncomfortable feeling that in some way I may be that delusional, making excuses for my actions that are based on emotions I can't admit to. 😕

The other two Ishiguro I read did not have that flavor for me (though they did share some thematic elements). I think I want to wait a while before trying Orphans, but can anyone comment on his latest book and how similar it might be?

Jane, no wonder Gardam's name seemed familiar and in some way associated with you! I have another of hers sitting here, but was hesitating to start it because I appreciated the flavor of Hollow Hills so much.

Stacia, I've placed a hold on the Daniel As her book - thank you!

Rose, I'm glad Set This House in Order worked for you. It made such a strong impression on me, but I sometimes remember a book for the impression rather than as a whole...

NoseinaBook, I have to keep setting the Gitmo book aside. Not out of squeamishness, but because thinking about this happening, and still happening is too much to keep doing. ...but I keep coming back. And I think it is a book every US citizen should read... so we make it *history* ...history never to be repeated.

Heather, Isn't that a fun play? Five Aprils is also a good book, but I can't say it was fun. (Up a Road Slowly by the same author made a stronger impression on me, but doesn't have the same historical teaching opportunities... and it is a less straightforward story, with more ambiguity than one tends to see in middle grade books.

Eliana, I think you would find parts of The Sparrow pretty harsh. Make sure you're in the right head space before approaching it, if you decide to. Knowing your preferences, I think it might be one you would be wary of reading.

I started The Travels of Marco Polo, The Venetian today. I am using the version published by Everyman's Library, first translated by W. Marsden & revised by T. Wright. This particular edition has been newly revised & edited by Peter Harris. I had actually started reading a different version of Marco Polo a few years ago, but never finished it. It's been on my mind ever since. Alongside it, I am also reading In the Footsteps of Marco Polo by Denis Belliveau & Francis O'Donnell. (This is a book companion to a PBS documentary; I have never watched the documentary.) I'm going to try to coordinate the sections/geographical areas between the two books as I read, but I don't know how successful I'll be.

I think this will take me a little while but it's nice to be back in the groove with Marco. :laugh:

ETA: I hope I haven't jumped the gun on this one. I know crstarlette wanted to read the Marco Polo books. Was there anyone else? Did we have this planned for a different month? :willy_nilly:  I can't remember...! I'm also planning to read Italo Calvino's Invisible Cities too as part of my 'Marco Polo' reading.

• Like 7

Typing on a cantankerous tablet... can't multivariate or link. Grrr...

I did want to at least name the other books I mentioned reading last week:

Gem of the Ocean by August Wilson, The Real Inspector Hound, Ayeh by R Nachmam and Azamra also a Rebbe Nachman book, both short but inspiring.

Eliana, I think you would find parts of The Sparrow pretty harsh. Make sure you're in the right head space before approaching it, if you decide to. Knowing your preferences, I think it might be one you would be wary of reading.

I started The Travels of Marco Polo, The Venetian today. I am using the version published by Everyman's Library, first translated by W. Marsden & revised by T. Wright. This particular edition has been newly revised & edited by Peter Harris. I had actually started reading a different version of Marco Polo a few years ago, but never finished it. It's been on my mind ever since. Alongside it, I am also reading In the Footsteps of Marco Polo by Denis Belliveau & Francis O'Donnell. (This is a book companion to a PBS documentary; I have never watched the documentary.) I'm going to try to coordinate the sections/geographical areas between the two books as I read, but I don't know how successful I'll be.

I think this will take me a little while but it's nice to be back in the groove with Marco. :laugh:

ETA: I hope I haven't jumped the gun on this one. I know crstarlette wanted to read the Marco Polo books. Was there anyone else? Did we have this planned for a different month? :willy_nilly: I can't remember...! I'm also planning to read Italo Calvino's Invisible Cities too as part of my 'Marco Polo' reading.

Tut Tut! You have indeed jumped the gun, but no worries. All lists and plans are meant to be flexible. We had him scheduled for September. There was a reason we decided to pair him with banned book month but now I can't remember why.

• Like 7

Tut Tut! You have indeed jumped the gun, but no worries. All lists and plans are meant to be flexible. We had him scheduled for September. There was a reason we decided to pair him with banned book month but now I can't remember why.

Oops! Sorry about that everyone!

I was between books & was perusing my own stacks & that's what jumped out at me. I didn't think of the group read until tonight. :blushing:

I do think it will take me awhile to work through the books, so perhaps I won't be too far off from the originally planned schedule. :leaving:

• Like 6

I often dislike translations of Goethe, but by German is too rusty for satisfactory reading. ...but I am very much liking the Stuart Atkins translation of Faust that I've been reading.

Thanks, I'll check out Atkins more closely. 

• Like 5

I finished reading Green Ember to the boys last night.  They said it was so-so.  I agree.  It's kind of slow and then just ends.  I also felt like the big reveal about a particular character was rushed after such a slow build up.

• Like 9

Idnib, hurrah for your kids having such positive connections to Shakespeare! Early exposure shaped me on so many levels (and all in what I see as positive ways)

I agree about the early exposure to Shakespeare. My now adult kids really enjoy going to the excellent repertory productions here each summer as it is something we did many times as they were growing up. Seeing those plays along with the children's theater classes where they learned about them and performed bits of them really cemented their connection to The Bard, something I forget about during the year when they are so wrapped up in their adult interests and lives.

Last night we saw an outstanding production of Kiss Me Kate. How I love Cole Porter's music! This clip isn't from the production I saw last night, but I had to share "Brush Up Your Shakespeare" with my BaW buddies. It's all about the benefits of being able to quote Shakespeare to the ladies  :lol:

• Like 9

My son was introduced to Shakespeare via Leon Garfield's stories. 

We attended several local productions but also took advantage of seeing Shakespeare while traveling (Globe Theatre in London and in Stratford, Ontario). 

Jenn, I adore Cole Porter and Kiss Me Kate is one of my favorites too!  Song of the summer:  "It's Too Darn Hot"!!

• Like 9

I agree about the early exposure to Shakespeare. My now adult kids really enjoy going to the excellent repertory productions here each summer as it is something we did many times as they were growing up. Seeing those plays along with the children's theater classes where they learned about them and performed bits of them really cemented their connection to The Bard, something I forget about during the year when they are so wrapped up in their adult interests and lives.

Last night we saw an outstanding production of Kiss Me Kate. How I love Cole Porter's music! This clip isn't from the production I saw last night, but I had to share "Brush Up Your Shakespeare" with my BaW buddies. It's all about the benefits of being able to quote Shakespeare to the ladies  :lol:

:lol: This reminded me of my high school English teacher who made us memorize To Celia by Ben Johnson, because he said that everyone should have a poem memorize that could be used for, um. . . wooing purposes.  The really funny part?  I actually did use it, years later.  And it worked.  :leaving:  ;)  :D

• Like 11

I don't know what happened and can't find it when I look back, but whatever it was Nan, I'm glad your son is okay.

So, now I'm not sure what to read.  Even Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix is irritating me!  Harry has such an awful attitude and Umbridge is so nasty.

That book is one in which Harry goes through a lot of teenage angst. It can get annoying at times but if you can get through, it's a pivotal book. Much happens that sets the stage for the final two books. Umbridge is just horrible, I agree.

The Classics and the Western Canon group on Goodreads will be reading Goethe's Faust (I and II) starting July 29. I think I'll join. Anyone else here interested or planning to join?

I might give it a try but am not going to commit. In that group if you say you're going to read a selection, they rightfully expect you to participate in the discussion. I'd rather just read and quietly follow the discussion.

I finished In the Heart of the Sea and look forward to the movie in December. I'm having trouble getting into any of my other current reads, but I really want to finish a few that I started. I'm dedicating the rest of the summer to finishing partially read books. Someone last week or the week before said that War and Peace sounds like a good book to read in the fall. I want to do that, so finishing these other books will free up the fall months for that one.

• Like 7

But Umbridge is so delightfully nasty! But yes Harry's teen anger does get old after a while.

I'm working on Linda Castillo's latest: After the Storm. I had to take a break because the main character tends towards angsty and rather childish behavior at times.

• Like 7

Stacia will be glad to hear not only that I renewed my subscription to Archipelago Books but that my bonus book selection was volume one of Karl Ove Knausgaard's My Struggle.

I will be awaiting your review of that one, Jane! I have been very curious about it since it has gotten so much press.

• Like 4

So, now I'm not sure what to read.  Even Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix is irritating me!  Harry has such an awful attitude and Umbridge is so nasty.

My kids were so excited when Order of the Phoenix came out because they were finally old enough to go to one of the big midnight book release parties, and we had waited forever for it to finally get written and published.  My now college boy was 9 at the time. He came out of his room while reading it a day or so later, just as sad as he could be, and said, "Mom, I think JK Rowling has forgotten how to write fun books."  My oldest was annoyed with Harry, too, and all that teen angst.  It was their least favorite of the series.

Fast forward to this summer. My 23yo is rereading Phoenix and is loving it! He can now see how perfectly Harry's teen angst is captured!  I think the college boy has come to like it much better through the years, though I'm not sure when he last reread them all.

We've got lightening, thunder and rain this morning -- so very bizarre for Southern California!! But hallelujah -- rain!! Actual measurable precipitation!!  My lawn might yet live! 

• Like 8

Order is one of my favorites (Azkaban I like just slightly more).  JK definitely captured that age perfectly and created an incredible villain in Umbridge.  Sickeningly sweet and completely detestable.  I can see how a kid who hasn't been through that age would be confused and upset by Harry's behavior suddenly seeming different.

• Like 6

Shukriyya, good to see you around!

You might like Alexander Gilchrist's Life of William Blake, written when many people who knew Blake were still alive, and which is the source for most of the fun things we know about the Blakes. Mrs Blake seems to have been an impressively patient woman. Did your book mention the "air bathing"?

No it did not.  Are you going to tell me or do I need to google?  :laugh:

Angel, I'd wait until you're in a better space... and pick up an old favorite instead. Are you in the mood for some Eddings?

I did actually think about picking up Eddings, however, I really, really want dd's and dh to read it with me this year and am holding out for that.

That book is one in which Harry goes through a lot of teenage angst. It can get annoying at times but if you can get through, it's a pivotal book. Much happens that sets the stage for the final two books. Umbridge is just horrible, I agree.

Oh, I've read it!  This is my third time through  :laugh:  I think I was just in a really crappy mood last week (read pms), and I'm not a fan of teenage angst  :lol:

I ended up picking up a lovely Georgette Heyer, Arabella, and finished it in two days.  We are heading out soon so I will not pick up another book until we get back!  

• Like 7

In this part of the country we'd call it "settin around nekkid." Who knew it was good for your health? Ben Franklin was a famous promoter of the air bath.

Well, I learned something new today. I certainly didn't know that fun tidbit about old Ben.

:lol:

• Like 7

Kareni, you may be interested to know that I picked up The Martian today from the library. Dh has snatched it up to read. Now ds is queuing up for it. So, I guess I'll get it third in the house. 

Looking forward to the movie too. It looks like a good one, imo. (Plus, we're all partial to Matt Damon here anyway.)

• Like 5

Hi,

I've read as much as I could find about jumping into the BAW project, and it seems it's OK for me to jump in mid-stream.  I've been wanting for a few years to do this, but haven't had time.  I'm not sure that I have more time now, but I am reading more these days than I have in awhile, so I'm going to try.  :D  If anything, at least there's an internet space for me to come to periodically and post about what I'm reading (and find some other good books from you other members).  I can't write as eloquently as most of you can, but it'll give me a place to at least get my thoughts out of my own head.  And, I miss Jane and Nan, but I see you gals posting here, so I can catch up on your lives.  :D

Losje I read A Year of Biblical Womanhood last year (or possibly the year before) and I really enjoyed it. Glad you are liking it too! I really want to read her book Evolving in Monkey Town: How a Girl Who Knew All the Answers Learned to Ask the Questions

Evolving in Monkey Town has a new title I thought, I might misgoogle but it seems I can't find it in Dutch translation.

Searching for Sunday will be available in Dutch this fall, so I suppose I will try to get that one.

DH is reading it now too, wondering what book made me so laugh and smile :)

I love Rachel Held Evans's books!  This is the new name of her Monkey Town book (though I like the original title better):  Faith Unraveled: How a Girl Who Knew All the Answers Learned to Ask Questions.  I am currently reading Searching For Sunday.  In somewhat the same genre, I also recently read Nadia Bolz-Weber's Pastrix: The Cranky, Beautiful Faith of a Sinner & Saint.  It's really funny and really deep.

But my most favourite recent read was Dracula.  I had read Frankenstein before that, so I thought I'd enjoy it.  It drew me in right away.  I think it was the writing style and the vivid descriptions.  I could easily visualize Jonathan Harker's ride to the castle and his adventures inside, sometimes to the point where I had to breathe slowly so I wouldn't be scared, lol.  I also enjoyed the development of each character.  I kept waiting for the book to start freaking me out, but it didn't.  Then I could relax into just reading a really good story, and of course I really enjoyed the ending.  My favourite character was the professor who took care of Lucy and Mina, and I was afraid he was going to be killed off, lol, so I was glad he didn't.  The only thing that irked me was the depiction of Mina being all-sweet and good, compliant, and always serving the men.  I was relieved to see near the end that she was actually driving the horses when she and the professor went on their part of the journey to catch Dracula's boat.  But I understand, too, that it may be reflective of the times during which the book was written.  Overall, a satisfying read for me.

• Like 9

Has anybody read Here There Be Dragons by James Owen?  There is something that is really bugging me about it, I'm dying to talk about it but not sure if anyone has already read it - or how to discuss without spoilers!  So I thought I'd throw it out there and see if anyone has read it . . . 

• Like 4

Nice :lol: I love learning something new. I'll refrain from clicking the link :laugh:

I keep thinking of Angel on her history tour.....someone mentions Ben Franklin and she pictures air baths. ;) :lol:

Welcome Colleen!

Another slightly bookish chuckle of my morning is my kids are eating omelettes made with blue eggs thanks to a home ed friend who has chickens that lay beautiful blue eggs. I keep thing of Dr. Suess.....they are having blue eggs and muffins not ham!

• Like 6

Order is one of my favorites (Azkaban I like just slightly more). JK definitely captured that age perfectly and created an incredible villain in Umbridge. Sickeningly sweet and completely detestable. I can see how a kid who hasn't been through that age would be confused and upset by Harry's behavior suddenly seeming different.

I've been thinking about Umbridge off and on the last few days and I think the reason I like her is that it is okay to hate her. Normally we aren't supposed to hate people but here it is perfectly acceptable to hate her. Voldemort is so evil it is hard to see him as real but I think most of us have at some point in our lives come across an Umbridge. Someone who we saw as vile. But it isn't okay to hate another human. Deep down we know they probably have some redeeming quality but we can't always see it. Here is Umbridge who we can hate without worrying about it.

• Like 7