Couch-to-5K: June 14-20

IfIOnly

C25K: June 14-20  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Workouts Finished

• Workout 1
    • Workout 2
    • Workout 3

I have my first sports injury. I have done something to a muscle in my inner ankle (I think it is a medial ankle sprain). It hurts!!! I have clearly been overdoing it and not giving my body rest time on the inbetween days. I'm not sure how long it will take to heal, but I won't be running for several days at least. :(

Oh no! I hope you heal quickly, Eagle.  :grouphug:  

• Like 2

I didn't go last night, because we had friends drop by unexpectedly (who brought us a fridge full of yummy milk -they're dairy farmers) and we partied until about 11:30. It was fun, but we're doing our workout tonight instead. :) 

Hope you're all hanging in there!  :001_wub:

I have my first sports injury. I have done something to a muscle in my inner ankle (I think it is a medial ankle sprain). It hurts!!! I have clearly been overdoing it and not giving my body rest time on the inbetween days. I'm not sure how long it will take to heal, but I won't be running for several days at least. :(

Oh no!  Hope you are on the mend soon.  I can tell from your posts you have been really enjoying the workouts. 

Week 2 day 2 is done.  My IT band is a bit sore, so I think I will be watching some tv while on the foam roller for the balance of the evening.

• Like 2

Dislike!

Hope you heal well and soon.

• Like 1

Last night, I walked two miles w/ a friend. Tonight, did C25K Week 2, Day 3 w/ dh & ds. It probably helped that it was about five degrees cooler (even though humidity was higher).

Ds & I are definitely thinking we'll repeat week 2 so that we feel more comfortable overall with the running before upping it to the next level. Dh (the runner) agrees that it's probably a good step for us to repeat this week's runs again.

I did pull out my barefoot running shoes (5 fingers). I walked in them last night & need to get readjusted to using them because it's been awhile since I've worn them. But, I feel like I run more carefully & more lightly on my feet when wearing them (vs. my old sneakers I had been using). Ds is outgrowing his shoes so I think I'll be taking him to the local running store where you run on a treadmill & they film/photograph your feet when running, then make recs on shoes that would work best for you as a runner.

Thanks again, LavenderGirl, for starting us on this track. I'm really determined to stick with it. I'm slow as molasses, but I'll eventually get there!

ETA: Ds loves t-shirts from TeeTurtle. We got an email announcing a sister website, also selling t-shirts. One of the designs was quite fitting for both ds & I as we do C25K, so we each ordered a shirt to be part of our 'running' gear.

• Like 3

I'm sorry! I hope you heal quickly! 

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for the good wishes! My ankle is really sore still. I tried to rest it as much as possible today but my toddler saw that as a great opportunity to get into even more mischief than usual.

I'm really anxious to get back out there, but will obviously have to wait. I talked with my marathon running friend today and she said it is very common for people starting to run to overdo it and get injured. She gave me lots of advice and tips and recommended that I start with a week 1 run once I start back up. She recommends beginners not running on hills until they have built up some muscles in the ankles/knees over a few weeks. She also cautioned me about running near the edge of the pavement where it slopes toward the unpaved shoulder. That slope is probably what sprained my ankle. She recommends running closer to the middle of the road if it isn't a busy street or going somewhere that has sidewalks or a more even surface.

Hopefully no one else gets injured. Be careful and listen to your body. I'll cheer you all on from my couch, but I can't wait to get back out there too.

• Like 4

The bottom of my foot started to hurt during yesterday's workout. Kind of between the arch/ ball area. A little concerned. I went out and bought new sneaks since my other ones were super old. Hope it doesn't get worse tomorrow. Any ideas appreciated!

Week 2, Run 2 done! Two days of clean eating did make this run easier than the one on Monday. I didn't go any faster or farther, but I felt a bit lighter and a lot happier! :D

I haven't repeated yet, but I can tell you my plan (even though it's subject to change!). If I'm not able to finish a running interval, I will most definitely and absolutely repeat that week.

I have an unusally fast heart rate when I exercise (and consequently get out of breath very easily), so yeah I'm afraid that's going to be a problem for me. I'm not wearing a HR monitor, but if I get to the point where I'm having chest pains while running (yes, that's happened to me before :( ) then I will definitely back off, and either repeat the week or possibly even go back to the previous week and re-do.

I'm not having any problems with muscle or joint pain (knock on wood!) except for the fact that I keep twisting my ankles - luckily so far only very mildly and not a big deal. I am so clumsy! Anyway, if that does become a problem at some point I will probably just play it by ear and ask my husband for advice. He's been running for decades, so he has a lot of experience with pain! :lol:

I hope your ankles hold up for ya! That's so great your husband has so much running experience and can be such a help for you.

Just did my firsts walk. Turns out I will have a young friend joining me, so the conservative approach will be a good choice for both of us.

Woohoo! Glad you've joined us, Seasider!

W2D2 in the books this am - woo hoo! I wish MapMyRun included pushing a stroller with 50lbs of kids in my calorie count; it would make me feel better about my pace.

I've also been inspired to finally join the Barre gym like I had been planning to do after my daughter was born... 7 months ago. Better late than never. Today I walked and went to a barre class - woo hoo. Baby girl cries the whole time unless someone's holding her, but getting in shape is good for all of is, right?

You're amazing! Way to go making getting fit happen with little ones. :hurray:

I just finished W2W2. This was an odd run tonight. To start with we had a dinner party tonight, so I was slightly tipsy. I've never had alcohol before running so I was worried, but it ended up being fine. However, about 8 minutes into the run, it started pouring down rain! I still finished the run, but skipped the cool down. My DH about died of laughter as I came home looking like a wet dog. At least I wasn't too hot! :lol:

Way to go! That is too funny about your DH getting such a kick about you getting soaked. LOL

W2D2 complete. I was a little faster with the whole 3 miles today but still not as fast as W1D1. Wonder what's up with that?

Awesome! That's great you're doing a full 3 miles each workout! Not what's up about the time?? I've just been doing the 30 min. or so C25K thing.

W2W2 mostly completed yesterday.

Mostly because I didn't quite get to finish before I was interrupted by kids needing attention. I'm counting it anyway though.

Yay! :thumbup1:

Oh no! Hope you are on the mend soon. I can tell from your posts you have been really enjoying the workouts.

Week 2 day 2 is done. My IT band is a bit sore, so I think I will be watching some tv while on the foam roller for the balance of the evening.

Sweet! I had to Google what the IT band is. It's crazy all these different places we're all feeling it. We're all so unique. Sorry you're sore. Hope the rolling session helped a lot.

Last night, I walked two miles w/ a friend. Tonight, did C25K Week 2, Day 3 w/ dh & ds. It probably helped that it was about five degrees cooler (even though humidity was higher).

Ds & I are definitely thinking we'll repeat week 2 so that we feel more comfortable overall with the running before upping it to the next level. Dh (the runner) agrees that it's probably a good step for us to repeat this week's runs again.

I did pull out my barefoot running shoes (5 fingers). I walked in them last night & need to get readjusted to using them because it's been awhile since I've worn them. But, I feel like I run more carefully & more lightly on my feet when wearing them (vs. my old sneakers I had been using). Ds is outgrowing his shoes so I think I'll be taking him to the local running store where you run on a treadmill & they film/photograph your feet when running, then make recs on shoes that would work best for you as a runner.

Thanks again, LavenderGirl, for starting us on this track. I'm really determined to stick with it. I'm slow as molasses, but I'll eventually get there!

ETA: Ds loves t-shirts from TeeTurtle. We got an email announcing a sister website, also selling t-shirts. One of the designs was quite fitting for both ds & I as we do C25K, so we each ordered a shirt to be part of our 'running' gear.

Stacia, how fun your family's doing this together! Nice that it was a bit cooler for you tonight. Love the t-shirts! :wub:

Thanks everyone for the good wishes! My ankle is really sore still. I tried to rest it as much as possible today but my toddler saw that as a great opportunity to get into even more mischief than usual.

I'm really anxious to get back out there, but will obviously have to wait. I talked with my marathon running friend today and she said it is very common for people starting to run to overdo it and get injured. She gave me lots of advice and tips and recommended that I start with a week 1 run once I start back up. She recommends beginners not running on hills until they have built up some muscles in the ankles/knees over a few weeks. She also cautioned me about running near the edge of the pavement where it slopes toward the unpaved shoulder. That slope is probably what sprained my ankle. She recommends running closer to the middle of the road if it isn't a busy street or going somewhere that has sidewalks or a more even surface.

Hopefully no one else gets injured. Be careful and listen to your body. I'll cheer you all on from my couch, but I can't wait to get back out there too.

Eagle, what great advice from your friend. I'm learning right along with you. Thanks for sharing! Hearing about the sidewalk made me wonder if walking on the track (more gentle than concrete) has helped me not get injured so far? I'm just walking/power walking though, so maybe that's why I haven't experienced any real pain to speak of or anything. Hope you feel all better soon. :grouphug:

• Like 3

I've also been inspired to finally join the Barre gym like I had been planning to do after my daughter was born... 7 months ago. Better late than never. Today I walked and went to a barre class - woo hoo. Baby girl cries the whole time unless someone's holding her, but getting in shape is good for all of is, right?

I love barre! I went to a barre studio a couple of times a week for a month when they were offering a special rate. After that I had to give it up because it's outside of my budget. My regular gym has a barre class, but it isn't nearly as good as the ones at the barre studio. I hope they'll run another special some day!

And yes, taking care of yourself is good for your baby too, though I know that's probably of little consolation when she's crying!

I love barre! I went to a barre studio a couple of times a week for a month when they were offering a special rate. After that I had to give it up because it's outside of my budget. My regular gym has a barre class, but it isn't nearly as good as the ones at the barre studio. I hope they'll run another special some day!

And yes, taking care of yourself is good for your baby too, though I know that's probably of little consolation when she's crying!

This studio has a one month new member special, and as extra incentive they take 1% off your second month for every class you take during your first month. I think after that it will be too pricey, but I'm certainly motivated to make good use of this month to make a second one affordable!

It's definitely a great workout - perfect for post-baby and for getting me back in shape before we try for #3!

• Like 1

I did W2D2 yesterday and it went well. I really need to do day 3 this evening because we will be out of town for the weekend and I don't want to be that far behind on Monday. I am really enjoying it. I'm not doing anything on my days off, which I probably should be, but only doing it 3 days a week almost makes me want to do it. I miss it and look forward to it almost :lol:  I am doing a total of 3 miles, but if I could add on some weight bearing exercises when I get back, then maybe I could still get away with just the 3 days a week! 

Thanks for starting this LavendarGirl. I had been thinking about it and this was just the nudge I needed to get started. :hurray:

• Like 4

Sorry about that! I hope it heals well and you are back out there soon! 

• Like 1

W1W2 completed. Inch by inch... Better pace and better attitude from my tag along. Beautiful weather helps!

Just to clarify, I have to delete my previous vote (1 done) to add the next (2 done), correct? That appears to be right by way of the changing vote graph.

• Like 2

W1W2 completed. Inch by inch... Better pace and better attitude from my tag along. Beautiful weather helps!

Just to clarify, I have to delete my previous vote (1 done) to add the next (2 done), correct? That appears to be right by way of the changing vote graph.

Delete previous and add back previous plus current, if that makes sense!!

• Like 1

Week 2 day 3 is done. Bring on week 3!

Not that the scale really matters, but i stepped on mine today and it is down 3 lbs since starting. More importantly, I noticed the other day at work climbing the four flights of stairs to one of the other departments was way less effort then in the past. That is the type of gain that really keeps me going, since I think I forgot my body is designed to feel well.

• Like 3

Day 3 is in the books. My overall pace isn't faster, but I'm going farther, so yay!

I did W2D2 yesterday and it went well. I really need to do day 3 this evening because we will be out of town for the weekend and I don't want to be that far behind on Monday. I am really enjoying it. I'm not doing anything on my days off, which I probably should be, but only doing it 3 days a week almost makes me want to do it. I miss it and look forward to it almost :lol:  I am doing a total of 3 miles, but if I could add on some weight bearing exercises when I get back, then maybe I could still get away with just the 3 days a week! 

Thanks for starting this LavendarGirl. I had been thinking about it and this was just the nudge I needed to get started. :hurray:

Did day 3 this morning and my 10 yo ds joined me. I don't even think he was breathing hard! But today seemed better than the other day.

Eagle, hope you heal quickly!

Week 2 day 2 DONE. I just flat ran out of time this week! I'm repeating week 2 next week, anyway, so I'm okay with it.

Week 2 day 3 is done. Bring on week 3!

Not that the scale really matters, but i stepped on mine today and it is down 3 lbs since starting. More importantly, I noticed the other day at work climbing the four flights of stairs to one of the other departments was way less effort then in the past. That is the type of gain that really keeps me going, since I think I forgot my body is designed to feel well.

I completed week 2 day 3! I hadn't planned to, but got a burst of energy. So glad I did!

I completed run 3 this morning. :)

:party:

W2W3 is done, and I 'm looking forward to starting week 3 on Monday. Yay!

• Like 2

I finished my 2nd week of Week 1. ;)

I downloaded the c25k app on my phone and used it this week - it made it much easier to keep track of the time. Tonight I listened to music during the workout and the time just flew by!

I feel up to doing Week 2 starting on Monday.

Wonderful! Way to go, Mothersweets!

• Like 1