Couch-to-5K: June 14-20

IfIOnly

C25K: June 14-20  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Workouts Finished

• Workout 1
    • Workout 2
    • Workout 3

My favorite excercise quote ATM. This couch potato is feeling stronger and more confident after just one week. There's been some minor aches, but by the next workout they're usually gone and replaced with more strength. I am resting, stretching, or just walking between workouts though, so I'm not overdoing it. I really like this program!

2015-06-14-05-35-46--1712263308_zps3fn1a

• Like 2

I ended up having a hellish week at work, working late almost every night and didn't even get started.  :glare:   I'm hoping this week is much better.

I was semi-recruited for our lakes women's softball team.  I don't think I can do it this year because it's the same night the kids have choir (I have to check when choir stops or if it goes all summer) but I'm thinking maybe I can get in better shape and do it next year.

• Like 2

Week 2 Day 1 complete! It felt fantastic. Instead of just going up and down our street I went on a little adventure around the neighbourhood. There were a lot of other people out running and biking. Everyone was very friendly and gave encouraging smiles. I went a little too far and ended up adding an extra run interval, but it felt just fine.

The new shoes and proper clothes make a really big difference. I would encourage people who have really old shoes to try to get a new pair. I am pretty sure I was on a path to injury with my old runners.

• Like 5

Ok, I have a goal to shoot for:

5K on October 24 with no injuries incurred in the training and event process.

I will start my prep on Tuesday with a somewhat conservative schedule. Based on how my body responds, I will either run or walk it.

• Like 5

Supposed to run today, but it will probably be late tonight because we have some brutal heat going on here. It is supposed to be an awful heat index all week, so I'm going to have to see how that plays out (esp. as ds is extremely sensitive to heat).

• Like 2

Did Week 2, Run 1.

Even though I didn't go until 9:30pm, heat was still an issue. Plus, I can tell I hadn't run since Thursday since I was upping the running time. Did it, though. Dh went with me. Ds skipped this one because he walked 3 miles in flip-flops yesterday & now has some blisters. Hopefully, ds will be back in the groove by our Tuesday run.

Will plan to do some type of indoor exercise tomorrow, probably the Monday Buzzfeed workout.

• Like 4

Just got back from my first run of wwek 2. It was hard. This weekend, I had two "cheat meals" (which is incredibly stupid, because the only person I'm cheating is myself!) and two glasses of wine. Definitely paid the price this morning!

• Like 2

Just finished W2W1. My 5yo wanted to run with me tonight, so he did the first 10 minutes with me which was fun. He is crazy fast, but was completely over it after the first running interval. It was so hot out tonight, I came back home and was bright red, I think I scared my DH. I think I'll have to start running even later in the evening to avoid the heat. How do the rest of you handle the heat? Early morning/late night runs? 

• Like 3

Just finished W2W1. My 5yo wanted to run with me tonight, so he did the first 10 minutes with me which was fun. He is crazy fast, but was completely over it after the first running interval. It was so hot out tonight, I came back home and was bright red, I think I scared my DH. I think I'll have to start running even later in the evening to avoid the heat. How do the rest of you handle the heat? Early morning/late night runs? 

Last night, dh & I ran starting at 9:30pm. Tomorrow night, I may plan to start even later. (I'm not a morning person & I think I'd need to be up before sunrise in order to beat the heat right now.)

This evening, I did some squats & push-ups, then dh & I walked 2 miles. It is crazy hot out, even for walking. Ds is trying to get back in the swing, so he did a bunch of jumping jacks, sit-ups, & push-ups. I think he'll plan to join us for the running again tomorrow, but we'll have to watch the heat levels.

• Like 2

How do the rest of you handle the heat? Early morning/late night runs?

I've been heading out the door by 7am, and it's been around 70 degrees at that time. But that's only because we've had an exceptionally nice spring and mild summer so far this year. When it gets hotter I'll probably have to bump it up to 6:30. :(

• Like 2

LavenderGirl, hope you're recovering from your late-night adventures last night!

Haha. Thanks! I made sure to get a nap in, so I would have enough energy for my workout. 

I accidentally did week 1 again and didn't know I had picked the wrong week until my workout was nearly over. So, I'll start W2W2 next time. I was just me and DH today, and we just walked in our neighborhood rather than the track. We had a nice time. I power walked, and he jogged slowly (so we could pace together, he can go much faster that I can).

Anyone else been sleeping better since starting this?  I'm able to go to bed earlier and am sleeping deeper.  Awesome!

• Like 3

Did Week 1 Day 1 yesterday.  After the third jog session my shins were KILLING me.  Looks like more stretching may help but I may have to start with a walk/walk faster cycle to start and then move on to running.   :sad:   I can't afford to get injured and with bad knees, plantar fasciitis and allergy-induced asthma that's pretty bad right now (we're having air quality warnings quite a bit lately), on top of being old, overweight and out of shape - I don't want to push too fast. 

We belong to the Y so I'm inside which is good since it's all hot, humid, thunderstorms, and lousy air quality around here right now.  I am having trouble adjusting the treadmill between walking/jogging.  I think it will be easier once I establish what's my pace for the "run" sessions.

• Like 4

Completed week 2 day 1. But here's dilemna. Neighbor is interested in joining me starting tomorrow. Do I start over at week 1 day 1 with her? Or do we see if she can do week 2 day 2? She is a walker currently, but not a runner.

Thoughts?

• Like 4

Did Week 1 Day 1 yesterday. After the third jog session my shins were KILLING me. Looks like more stretching may help but I may have to start with a walk/walk faster cycle to start and then move on to running. :sad: I can't afford to get injured and with bad knees, plantar fasciitis and allergy-induced asthma that's pretty bad right now (we're having air quality warnings quite a bit lately), on top of being old, overweight and out of shape - I don't want to push too fast.

Ouch, yeah, I would definitely encourage you to take it slow and easy! Doing it as walk/walk-faster instead of walk/run is probably a good idea. It's so much better to do that than to get hurt and not be able to do anything. My husband has had problems with shin pain from time to time. I will ask him if he has any advice for you.

• Like 2

Did Week 1 Day 1 yesterday. After the third jog session my shins were KILLING me. Looks like more stretching may help but I may have to start with a walk/walk faster cycle to start and then move on to running. :sad: I can't afford to get injured and with bad knees, plantar fasciitis and allergy-induced asthma that's pretty bad right now (we're having air quality warnings quite a bit lately), on top of being old, overweight and out of shape - I don't want to push too fast.

We belong to the Y so I'm inside which is good since it's all hot, humid, thunderstorms, and lousy air quality around here right now. I am having trouble adjusting the treadmill between walking/jogging. I think it will be easier once I establish what's my pace for the "run" sessions.

For me, shin pain always comes from fast walking, not running.

When I try to do a fast (power) walk it makes my shins really sore.

• Like 2

Completed week 2 day 1. But here's dilemna. Neighbor is interested in joining me starting tomorrow. Do I start over at week 1 day 1 with her? Or do we see if she can do week 2 day 2? She is a walker currently, but not a runner.

Thoughts?

What does she want to do? You could try week 2 and see how it goes, drop back to week 1 if needed.

• Like 1

This is my issue too. Today I had to stretch before I started, then pause after the runs to stretch again before I walked. Stretching and more stretching. Especially the calves and the toe lifts for me. I have to walk a lot more than the initial 5 minute warmup too so I can stretch warm.

We belong to the Y so I'm inside which is good since it's all hot, humid, thunderstorms, and lousy air quality around here right now. I am having trouble adjusting the treadmill between walking/jogging. I think it will be easier once I establish what's my pace for the "run" sessions.

With long hair, you could shower before a run and put your hair up. Besides one workout, my "runs" (I"m power walking) haven't been too hot yet to try this myself.

Did Week 1 Day 1 yesterday.  After the third jog session my shins were KILLING me.  Looks like more stretching may help but I may have to start with a walk/walk faster cycle to start and then move on to running.   :sad:   I can't afford to get injured and with bad knees, plantar fasciitis and allergy-induced asthma that's pretty bad right now (we're having air quality warnings quite a bit lately), on top of being old, overweight and out of shape - I don't want to push too fast. 

We belong to the Y so I'm inside which is good since it's all hot, humid, thunderstorms, and lousy air quality around here right now.  I am having trouble adjusting the treadmill between walking/jogging.  I think it will be easier once I establish what's my pace for the "run" sessions.

After Googling for you, it looks like getting some good quality shoes is a good place to start if you're experiencing knee pain. I wouldn't know where to start looking for shoes though. I'm just using cheap Costco shoes for now. 

Thoughts?

I like Maize's idea of seeing if she start at week 2 with you. Or you could just be running at the same time, each doing your own thing. Honestly, we had invited friends to workout with us, but they walk and run at much slower paces. So, I'm going to have to suggest that we split up at the track. Working out with DH last night, I realized that I'm just not getting much of a workout pairing up (unless it's with DH).

Week 2 Day 2 finished! Going first thing in the morning works really well for me. It isn't too hot yet and dh can watch the kids before work.

I've been using the app MapMyRun. It creates a map to show where I went and gives me graphs and charts of various things about my activity. I run it at the same time as the c25k app and they play nicely together. It also tells me every km how long I have been moving and what my pace is. It lets you set goals and enter challenges. And it is free! (there is a paid part, but I don't need that)

I had a problem the first week with pains in my calves. I read that it could mean you are taking too large of strides. It could also be your shoes. I got new shoes and have been trying to take shorter (but faster) steps. I have had no pains this week at all.

• Like 2

LavenderGirl, I have to say that your avatar photo is an eye-bender for me. :lol:

When you first posted it, to me, it looked like a photo of black high-tops seen head on (like I'm at floor-level, facing them). The white at the bottom was, I thought, the white edge around the bottom of the high-tops (a la the Converse style sneakers). But, when seeing the photo that way, it makes it look as if you started lacing your shoes from the top & then tying them at the bottom of the shoe! That's the part that confused me -- how hard it must be to get your feet into high-tops when tying at the bottom. :lol:

Of course, I later realized that my view is not the actual case. It's like looking at those mind-bendy pictures which can be vases or faces & you tend to see what you first saw, even when you know the other picture is there.

Just had to let you know how much mind-puzzling & fun your avatar has given me. Lol. :thumbup1:

• Like 1

Haha! That's too funny! The quickest way to get a shoe selfie is all. I thought something C-2-5k related would be fun and motivating for me to keep at it. :p

Well, please keep the pic! I love the purple shoestrings, even if the whole thing is eye- and mind-bendy for me. I giggle every time I see it now. (And it makes me want to buy high-top Converse sneakers just so I can tie them at the bottom w/ bright color laces!)

• Like 2

W2D1 complete. I actually thought this was easier - mentally - than week 1. Only 6 running intervals instead of 8 and longer walking recovery periods. I do a 3 mile loop doing C25k for the first 25 minutes and then walking the rest. Today it took me 43:09 minutes. W1D1 was my fastest so far. Not sure why but I'm sure I'll get better with time.

I really need knew sneakers. I think mine are several years old. My knees have been a bit sore. Nothing crazy but I don't want it to get worse.

• Like 4

It was slow and ugly but it's done.

:iagree:  I just finished Week 2, Day 2 & it was like this exactly. (It was also that way for me on the first run this week.) Ds joined dh & I again tonight, so our time slowed a lot because ds hadn't run since last Thursday. And, the heat is still a factor, even though we waited until almost 10pm to run.

This week is really tough for me. I may end up repeating this week again next week. I'll see how I feel about it, I guess, by the time next week rolls around.

• Like 4

Did Week 1 Day 1 yesterday.  After the third jog session my shins were KILLING me.  Looks like more stretching may help but I may have to start with a walk/walk faster cycle to start and then move on to running.    I can't afford to get injured and with bad knees, plantar fasciitis and allergy-induced asthma that's pretty bad right now (we're having air quality warnings quite a bit lately), on top of being old, overweight and out of shape - I don't want to push too fast. 

:hurray: Hope you can get that treadmill dialed in soon!

Thoughts?

:hurray: Hope having a workout partner makes it more fun and you figure out where it's best to start tomorrow!

W2W1 completed yesterday 

:hurray: Awesome!

W2d1 finished. It was slow and ugly but it's done.

:hurray: Slow and ugly wins the race?  :laugh:

Week 2 Day 2 finished! Going first thing in the morning works really well for me. It isn't too hot yet and dh can watch the kids before work.

I've been using the app MapMyRun. It creates a map to show where I went and gives me graphs and charts of various things about my activity. I run it at the same time as the c25k app and they play nicely together. It also tells me every km how long I have been moving and what my pace is. It lets you set goals and enter challenges. And it is free! (there is a paid part, but I don't need that)

I had a problem the first week with pains in my calves. I read that it could mean you are taking too large of strides. It could also be your shoes. I got new shoes and have been trying to take shorter (but faster) steps. I have had no pains this week at all.

:hurray:  I love the app! Thanks for sharing it. I did some walking with it tonight and found measuring my cul-de-sac by driving around in my car was apparently a bad idea. There was a major discrepancy between that and MMR. I'm going with MMR, but it just seems odd I was so off. :/ 

W2D1 complete. I actually thought this was easier - mentally - than week 1. Only 6 running intervals instead of 8 and longer walking recovery periods. I do a 3 mile loop doing C25k for the first 25 minutes and then walking the rest. Today it took me 43:09 minutes. W1D1 was my fastest so far. Not sure why but I'm sure I'll get better with time.

I really need knew sneakers. I think mine are several years old. My knees have been a bit sore. Nothing crazy but I don't want it to get worse.

:hurray:  Hope the newer sneakers help with your knees, and that's great week 2 was easier for you!! If it could be that way for all of us.   :lol:

Week 2 day 1 is done! I went while ds did his physio class and it is hot out! So I am a sad looking mess waiting to pick him up.

:hurray: What a great way to make use of that time!

• Like 1

:iagree:  I just finished Week 2, Day 2 & it was like this exactly. (It was also that way for me on the first run this week.) Ds joined dh & I again tonight, so our time slowed a lot because ds hadn't run since last Thursday. And, the heat is still a factor, even though we waited until almost 10pm to run.

This week is really tough for me. I may end up repeating this week again next week. I'll see how I feel about it, I guess, by the time next week rolls around.

:hurray: Woohoo! You must live where it's HOT. One good thing about living in a high desert is that no matter how hot it gets during the day, it usually cools considerably in the evening! Just some ideas: you could try week 3 once and see how you do first too. Several people said the longer running times worked for them vs. the starting and stopping so much. Or just do week 3's cycle once instead of twice as directed? Just throwing some additional tweaking C25K ideas there. Feel free to ignore.   :lol:

Week 2, Run 2 done! Two days of clean eating did make this run easier than the one on Monday. I didn't go any faster or farther, but I felt a bit lighter and a lot happier! :D

Question for those of you repeating weeks: how do you determine you need to do a repeat? Is it heart beating too fast, pain, out of breath, not able to finish running times, other?

I haven't repeated yet, but I can tell you my plan (even though it's subject to change!). If I'm not able to finish a running interval, I will most definitely and absolutely repeat that week.

I have an unusally fast heart rate when I exercise (and consequently get out of breath very easily), so yeah I'm afraid that's going to be a problem for me. I'm not wearing a HR monitor, but if I get to the point where I'm having chest pains while running (yes, that's happened to me before :( ) then I will definitely back off, and either repeat the week or possibly even go back to the previous week and re-do.

I'm not having any problems with muscle or joint pain (knock on wood!) except for the fact that I keep twisting my ankles - luckily so far only very mildly and not a big deal. I am so clumsy! Anyway, if that does become a problem at some point I will probably just play it by ear and ask my husband for advice. He's been running for decades, so he has a lot of experience with pain! :lol:

• Like 3

Thanks, Greta! I was wondering what to look for to know better how to navigate training, so that helps!

Another question for you all: Do you want the poll to show our names or keep it anonymous? No problem either way! Just checking. 

• Like 1

Thanks, Greta! I was wondering what to look for to know better how to navigate training, so that helps!

Oh, I'm glad. But I look forward to reading other replies too, because I'd really like to know what people are doing/planning in that regard.

Another question for you all: Do you want the poll to show our names or keep it anonymous? No problem either way! Just checking.

Either way is perfectly fine with me.

• Like 1

W2D2 in the books this am - woo hoo! I wish MapMyRun included pushing a stroller with 50lbs of kids in my calorie count; it would make me feel better about my pace.

I've also been inspired to finally join the Barre gym like I had been planning to do after my daughter was born... 7 months ago. Better late than never. Today I walked and went to a barre class - woo hoo. Baby girl cries the whole time unless someone's holding her, but getting in shape is good for all of is, right?

• Like 5

I just finished W2W2. This was an odd run tonight. To start with we had a dinner party tonight, so I was slightly tipsy. I've never had alcohol before running so I was worried, but it ended up being fine. However, about 8  minutes into the run, it started pouring down rain! I still finished the run, but skipped the cool down. My DH about died of laughter as I came home looking like a wet dog. At least I wasn't too hot!  :lol:

• Like 3

I have my first sports injury. I have done something to a muscle in my inner ankle (I think it is a medial ankle sprain). It hurts!!! I have clearly been overdoing it and not giving my body rest time on the inbetween days. I'm not sure how long it will take to heal, but I won't be running for several days at least. :(

I have my first sports injury. I have done something to a muscle in my inner ankle (I think it is a medial ankle sprain). It hurts!!! I have clearly been overdoing it and not giving my body rest time on the inbetween days. I'm not sure how long it will take to heal, but I won't be running for several days at least. :(

:-( Hope it heals quickly!

• Like 1

I'm so sorry to hear that. :( I hope it heals quickly!

• Like 1