Menu

Please share your favorite "inspirational" homeschool books!

Hi friends!

I just had my annual homeschool review with my county yesterday (was once again deemed "compliant," yay! lol) so now I am in full-on planning mode for next year. This is the point in the year where I love to read, reread, or flip through what I think of as my "inspirational" homeschool books--the ones that got me excited about the idea of homeschooling in the first place. I find doing this gets me in the right frame of mind and highly motivated. I always reread many parts of TWTM, of course, but I'd love to hear what others' favorite inspirational books are, since I'm sure there's still many out there I haven't read. Thanks in advance for your thoughts! :-)

• Like 1

Another fan here of Educating the Wholehearted Child...  Speaking of which, I should get that out and reread it this week.  I also like Project-Based Homeschooling: Mentoring Self-Directed Learners.  Also...The Unschooling Handbook: How to Use the Whole World As Your Child's Classroom and The Teenage Liberation Handbook.  

I've also read TWTM 3,487,988 times.   :tongue_smilie:

Ironically, I don't think we're really unschoolers OR classical homeschoolers.   :confused:

Edited to add:  This sounds weird, because it's not what you would think of as inspirational, but I really liked Lee Binz' Setting the Records Straight: How to Craft Homeschool Transcripts and Course Descriptions...  That book gave me more confidence to homeschool high school (which sounds weird, I know.  I have a strange hang-up about "what transcripts are going to look like".).

• Like 1

I really like Managers of Their Schools (even if it is very practical). I plan to buy Teaching from Rest when the second edition comes out.

Lies Homeschooling Moms Believe is excellent, and I reread every few years.

Homeschooling For the Rest of Us is also quite good.

• Like 1

Not a homeschooler, but a public school teacher...Rafe Esquith. All of his books are inspirational.

I enjoyed these as well as the one by or about Marva Collins .. . . I think it's the Marva Collins way. I gleaned a lot of ideas from Rafe Esquith's books and just hoped some of his copious energy would transmit to me as I read. Those are truly inspirational and usually available from the library. 

• Like 1

Some ideas in addition to The Well-Trained Mind:

You Can Teach Your Child Successfully: Grades 4-8 by Ruth Beechick (this book really made me feel that I could homeschool)

Home Learning Year by Year: How to Design a Homeschool Curriculum from Preschool Through High School by Rebecca Rupp

102 Top Picks for Homeschool Curriculum by Cathy Duffy

Creative Homeschooling: A Guide for Smart Families, 2nd Edition  by Lisa Rivero

The Read-Aloud Handbook: Seventh Edition by Jim Trelease

For those with children in or approaching high school:

I recommend Jeanne Gowen Dennis's Homeschooling High School: Planning Ahead for College Admission; the author makes homeschooling through high school seem doable. (It is written from a Christian perspective, but I recommend it to all.)

Read the high school and college boards here; there is a lot of wisdom to be found here. Take note of the threads that have been Pinned/Stickied.  Also, if your child is interested in a selective college, I recommend joining the Yahoo group hs2coll · Homeschooling toward college.

Some other valuable reads:

What High Schools Don't Tell You - 300+ Secrets to Make Your Kid Irresistible to Colleges by Senior Year by Elizabeth Wissner-Gross

and her other book: What Colleges Don’t Tell You by Elizabeth Wissner-Gross

Another I'd recommend is How to Get Into the Top Colleges by Krista Klein and Richard Montauk. This book is a helpful overview of the entire college application process and is particularly helpful if your child is aiming toward any moderately selective college.

Also books by Cal Newport are well worth reading.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 2

Real Learning

The Self-propelled Advantage

Consider This

Anything by Ruth Beechick

Christopherus' Kindergarten manual if you have a K-er

Just discovered the Homeschool Simplified series on another thread. Read one, marked it up, and ordered the others!

• Like 2