Menu

Portland, OR -- 8 hours, what to see & do?

TrixieB

We (one adult, two teens) will be in Portland, OR for about 8 hours on a Monday.  I need suggestions for "where to go" -- needs to be reachable by walking or public transit as we will not have a car.

We are definitely planning to go to Powell's.  I had thought about Voodoo Donut but I don't see on their website that they make GF donuts.

Ideas?

You could spend 8 hours in Powell's. The rose garden, Japanese garden, zoo, and a few more things are *right* next to each other. Voodoo's stupid. Expect to wait in line for an hour. You *just* missed fleet week. If this is going to be a regular thing come during fleet week next year.

• Like 1

You could spend 8 hours in Powell's. The rose garden, Japanese garden, zoo, and a few more things are *right* next to each other. Voodoo's stupid. Expect to wait in line for an hour. You *just* missed fleet week. If this is going to be a regular thing come during fleet week next year.

That's good to know!  It gets played up so much.

I'd skip Powells. It's just a bookstore. Nothing out of the ordinary other than size. Not worth your limited time.

GASP!  JUST a bookstore? I drive 2 hours to Portland on the regular, just for Powells!  But I have a rock music/ music history obsession and they have the best selection I've ever seen. 

;) 

OP- GF options galore in Portland. Everything from pasta to donuts. 

The river walk is pretty this time of year. OMSI is great too. 

Have fun! 

GASP! JUST a bookstore? I drive 2 hours to Portland on the regular, just for Powells! But I have a rock music/ music history obsession and they have the best selection I've ever seen.

;)

Have fun!

Sorry, yes. I was totally, completely underwhelmed.

I can handle tomato throwing. :)

• Like 1

GASP!  JUST a bookstore? I drive 2 hours to Portland on the regular, just for Powells!  But I have a rock music/ music history obsession and they have the best selection I've ever seen. 

;)

Have fun! 

Thank you for mentioning the river walk.  Googling it led me to the 4T Trail which I think we will may do.  That, plus Powell's, plus a restaurant or two, would make a fun day. 

Powells

I agree on skipping voodoo (unless you go there in the early morning, then no one is there).

The Zoo, Children's Museum, Japanese Garden, Rose Garden are all in the same general area so that's a lot of bang for your buck.

OMSI

Food carts downtown are yummy.  Portland has a lot of yummy places.  The Alphabet district has some great eateries, and Salt and Straw ice cream (yum) and a couple different chocolate places (I heart chocolate) that are yummy treats.  

• Like 1

I'd skip Powells. It's just a bookstore. Nothing out of the ordinary other than size. Not worth your limited time.

:ohmy:  :sad:  :svengo:

We used to regularly drive four hours to get to Portland, just for Powell's. I think it's worth seeing if you go even if you don't like rare books, cats, books, books, books, books, books, and awesome people, and books. When I lived in Portland I must have gone every weekend.

That place has a good feeling.

My sons like the gondola up the hill. It's near the city center on the public transit route. It's a commuter gondola which my boys got a kick out of seeing and riding.

My kids may be younger than yours though so factor that into my reccomendation.

Also the food truck streets are great.

I've never stood in line at voodoo for more than a few minutes and I've been a bunch. Perhaps I have some special voodoo magic? If you like donuts it's nice, but I am not big on the gussied up donut thing. My husband likes it though so we usually go.