Menu

Raw cookie dough: health hazard or best treat ever?

Raw cookie dough is...  

1. 1. Raw cookie dough is...

• A health hazard, full of salmonella! Run away!
    • Good in small amounts, like licked off the spoon.
    • Better than the cookies... it never makes it to the oven.
    • Other?

I've got a mouthful of dough with chocolate chips right now... and it got me thinking...

Is this cookie night? I've been talking to a friend tonight who wanted to make Toll House cookies so much, she's been substituting right and left -- LOL! And I *did* ask her -- so what if you don't have enough eggs? You're just going to eat most of the dough anyway, right? :D

If eating cookie dough has even made me ill, I was too full of the stuff to notice. ;)

it's fine if you use organic eggs! I can't remember why, but it is.

...otherwise, I'd have to give up chocolate chip cookie dough, that's why!!!! :D

It is divine, and for me, it's a toss up between which is best -- the dough, or the cookies still warm from the oven such that the chocolate oozes from the bitten chip and dribbles onto your chin!

Oh, and btw, Kay -- thanks a lot. Now I'm ready to gnaw off my arm in the absence of said treat. :glare:

I voted Other. I don't care if it's safe or not (well, I do care if it's not safe), I prefer baked cookies (exclusively) over cookie dough. I slap my dh's hands away when he tries to take some dough. I very rarely let him have any. I do on occasion make him some for his birthday. Then I freeze it and he can take some when he wants it.

Salmonella enteritidis enters an egg before its shell is formed. You can search the CDC website and get all the info you'd ever want on the subject.

Here's another site that is easier to read, IMO: http://www.aeb.org/LearnMore/EggSafety.htm

I have researched the CDC's site about this in the past, and only 1 in 20,000 eggs are contaminated with Salmonella. To me, that's an acceptable risk. Still, I would not take that risk with young children, elderly people, or those with compromised immune systems.

Here's another link about egg safety that is easy to read. By this, I mean you don't have to wade through a bunch of technical data. This site has interesting information about eggs and it is not limited to bacterial contamination.

http://www.eggsafety.org/f_a_q.htm

RC

Salmonella enteritidis enters an egg before its shell is formed.

I really had no idea.....:001_huh: I haven't followed your links but will. It is weird and bizarre to me that it enters before the egg is formed..... I just always thought it was an outside the egg thing... not even sure where I got that info...

I'm sorry for the inaccurate info!!!:o

I prefer raw brownie batter, myself. Sometimes, though, I mix up butter and brown sugar and eat spoonfuls of it before I add the rest of the ingredients to make chocolate chip cookies for the kids.

You hush. The 8 year old me has not yet admitted to the adult me that we do this.

:leaving:

I had no idea either, until I researched it *after* I let the kids eat raw cookie dough. :001_smile:

I really had no idea.....:001_huh: I haven't followed your links but will. It is weird and bizarre to me that it enters before the egg is formed..... I just always thought it was an outside the egg thing... not even sure where I got that info...

...otherwise, I'd have to give up chocolate chip cookie dough, that's why!!!! :D

It is divine, and for me, it's a toss up between which is best -- the dough, or the cookies still warm from the oven such that the chocolate oozes from the bitten chip and dribbles onto your chin!

Oh, and btw, Kay -- thanks a lot. Now I'm ready to gnaw off my arm in the absence of said treat. :glare:

Could I have the other one? I'm hungry too!

I sample any and all batters that I make and always have. Never got sick (yet :tongue_smilie:).

I would really like to know if any of you have ever gotten sick for "licking the bowl" or personally know someone who has? I have never heard of anyone I personally know getting salmonella poisoning this way. Was it as "dangerous" 30-40 years ago? Or has the risk remained the same.

However, I can always use the risk as an excuse to keep the bowl to myself and not to share with the kiddos!! :lol:

Anytime I make any brownies or cookies, at least half the dough is eaten. I usually make half of it without eggs because I know it is for eating. I voted "other" because of this option, and pasteurized prepackaged dough.

I prefer my cookie dough to be whole grain barley flour. I crave it this way much more than the regular kind. Can't get that prepackaged.

I prefer raw brownie batter, myself.
Me too! We get a box of five brownie mixes at Sam's and eat one batch of brownies. All the rest is eaten as batter. Sometimes I can get rid of a migraine that way.

I was told it was from the shell too!

I sample any and all batters that I make and always have. Never got sick (yet :tongue_smilie:).

I would really like to know if any of you have ever gotten sick for "licking the bowl" or personally know someone who has? I have never heard of anyone I personally know getting salmonella poisoning this way. Was it as "dangerous" 30-40 years ago? Or has the risk remained the same.

However, I can always use the risk as an excuse to keep the bowl to myself and not to share with the kiddos!! :lol:

I have never heard of anyone getting sick from raw eggs unless they were spoiled (home-made mayo). I used to use that excuse but both kiddos eat the dough with me now.

Whew, I did a lot of rambling! :auto:

From the CDC website:

"During the 1980s, illness related to contaminated eggs occurred most frequently in the northeastern United States, but now illness caused by S. enteritidis is increasing in other parts of the country as well."

"What is the risk?

In affected parts of the United States, we estimate that one in 50 average consumers could be exposed to a contaminated egg each year. If that egg is thoroughly cooked, the Salmonella organisms will be destroyed and will not make the person sick. Many dishes made in restaurants or commercial or institutional kitchens, however, are made from pooled eggs. If 500 eggs are pooled, one batch in 20 will be contaminated and everyone who eats eggs from that batch is at risk. A healthy person's risk for infection by Salmonella enteritidis is low, even in the northeastern United States, if individually prepared eggs are properly cooked, or foods are made from pasteurized eggs. "

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dbmd/diseaseinfo/salment_g.htm

RC

Was it as "dangerous" 30-40 years ago? Or has the risk remained the same.

It breaks my heart to post here.

Yes. Cookie dough is better than the cookies and that is why I used to eat it. That is how I got salmonella. Run... run far away.

I have never been so sick in my life. It was just awful.

I yearn to nibble on the cookie dough again, but the memory of the horrible experience is burned into my brain and I just won't risk it.sad010.gif