Menu

Help with cross stitching and bad eyesight.

Night Elf

I decided to pick up my cross-stitching hobby again. I wear prescription reading glasses because of astigatism, but they aren't enough for me to see the dumb stitches! I loved cross-stitching! Am I doomed? I'm thinking of using a lower count Aida cloth but won't that distort the picture if the picture wasn't designed for that count? I am thinking a pair of magnifying glasses won't work because they'll hurt my eyes. I'm not serious enough of a crafter to warrant a large magnifying glass to hold my project underneath. I found one that clips on but I don't have a place to clip it too. It's not designed to clip onto a hoop frame. Do you have any other suggestions?

If you go to a low vision center, they will have lots of things for you to consider.

I think that an Ott lamp might still be a good investment.  You can use it now for this, once in a while, but down the road it will be great for reading and other closeish work.

Also, have you tried reading glasses?

My daughter bought me something from JoAnn's that is a light and magnifying glass combo. I have used it quite a bit lately to see my stitches. You could try something like that. I could not find the one she bought me just now, but I did see some similar ones for about $15.

• Like 1

I already wear prescription reading glasses. I think I'm going to go to Michael's today to look around. Online I found kid kits that use lower count Aida cloth. Maybe I can start with one of those simple kits to get used to doing this again and then go back and try one of the kits I already own. It's been over a decade since I've touched these. I have one of a lighthouse that still has the thread together in it. I was trying to figure out how to separate it. Some of the colors are so similar. How can I tell the difference between pale blue and light pale lavender, or something like that. I don't remember how I used to do this.

My mom eventually had to give up cross stitching due to eyesight.  She split all her stuff between my sister and me.  You can do anything in a larger count.  It'll just be bigger.  It doesn't get distorted because it's still a specific number of squares per inch.  And figuring out colors in kits is a huge pain, particularly if the colors are varying shades of virtually the same color.

• Like 1

It's been over a decade since I've touched these. I have one of a lighthouse that still has the thread together in it. I was trying to figure out how to separate it. Some of the colors are so similar. How can I tell the difference between pale blue and light pale lavender, or something like that. I don't remember how I used to do this.

See if the instruction pages list how many skeins of each color you're supposed to have---you might be able to figure it out that way. If they end up being the same number, I hold it up to the other colors in the kit (so in this case another blue and another purple) and see which one looks like it goes with which one (if that makes sense). 

• Like 2

Ott lights are half off starting Sunday at JoAnn fabrics.

Sort the thread by the obvious ones first, and then sometimes the rest make sense. An Ott light is awesome for seeing true colors.

BTW I totally understand what you are going through. I have several Ott lights for crafts and hand work, DH added several more light fixtures with true color bulbs in my sewing room and I finally gave up cross stitch and switched to crocheting instead.

• Like 1

I about to try the same thing after a decade (and I'm too vain to get reading glasses just yet.....). For seperating the colours, get a piece of cardboard (cereal box will do), cut slits round the sides and write the name or number of the colour under the slit. Find a nice young person to put the threads in the right slits. Bribe them with cake.

D

I about to try the same thing after a decade (and I'm too vain to get reading glasses just yet.....). For seperating the colours, get a piece of cardboard (cereal box will do), cut slits round the sides and write the name or number of the colour under the slit. Find a nice young person to put the threads in the right slits. Bribe them with cake.

D

I wrap my thread around small cardboard pieces that fit nicely into my box designed for them. That's not the problem. It's figuring out which thread is really pale blue.

So I went to Michaels yesterday and bought 2 kits that say they are for learning. The Aida is 11 count. Even still, I had a hard time figuring out where to put the needle in. The boxes are all so small! This is the only craft I've ever done that I liked, so I'm bummed that it's not as easy as I thought it would be to pick up again. The getting older process is getting in the way. I think I might buy a coloring book. I've got some nice Prismacolor pencils that no one is using anymore.

D

Don't be.  I don't remember exactly when it was that reading glasses changed my life, but they did. I was trying to work on cross stitch and just could not see.  My husband handed me his reading glasses and said "see if this helps."  Oh boy, did it ever!  And I have never looked back.

See if the instruction pages list how many skeins of each color you're supposed to have---you might be able to figure it out that way. If they end up being the same number, I hold it up to the other colors in the kit (so in this case another blue and another purple) and see which one looks like it goes with which one (if that makes sense). 

also using a really bright lift to determine differences in similar colors.  If I had colors that were close - I would separate them in sunshine.

An Ott lite and reading classes made a huge difference for me with embroidery. I use a much stronger magnification glasses for needlework than I use for reading. Ott lites are also available at Amazon for anyone who isn't close to a Michael's or Joann's. Also, if cross stich is feeling frustratingly small but you enjoy needlework maybe try crewel embroidery. I find it is much more forgiving and less eye strain.

• Like 2

When is the last time you got your eyes checked and updated the prescription?  If it hasn't been very recent you may want to try that and discuss with your eye doctor the problem and see what solutions they may have.  I have to go get an eye check in a couple of weeks.  I know I am going to need to get bifocals this time because I just can't see to embroider while wearing my glasses.  I can do it without them for now, but I know that my eye sight is going downhill as I get older.

I hope you are able to figure something out.  I would hate to have to give up my cross-stitch and embroidery.  It is my relaxation hobby.

I decided to pick up my cross-stitching hobby again. I wear prescription reading glasses because of astigatism, but they aren't enough for me to see the dumb stitches! I loved cross-stitching! Am I doomed? I'm thinking of using a lower count Aida cloth but won't that distort the picture if the picture wasn't designed for that count? I am thinking a pair of magnifying glasses won't work because they'll hurt my eyes. I'm not serious enough of a crafter to warrant a large magnifying glass to hold my project underneath. I found one that clips on but I don't have a place to clip it too. It's not designed to clip onto a hoop frame. Do you have any other suggestions?

I have a lighted magnifying glass that hangs around my neck, such that I can hold my work right up under it, if you know I mean. Works for me. It was inexpensive; I think I got it at either Michael's or Hobby Lobby.

You can do your counted cross stitch on any size Aida. Each "square" of fabric will still be like each square on the chart. You'll just end up with a larger finished piece.