Menu

I may be losing it, but when did a capital cursive q change to look like a 2?

I remember it from school as a circle with a loop on bottom.

Well, when I went to school in the early 70's it looked like a 2

I think it has more to do with the style of cursive than the date.

• Like 5

Let's see. Ramona Quimby whines about it when she learns cursive, and that book must have been published no later than the mid-80s.

But it depends on the style of cursive. Not all cursive styles are the same, and some are wildly different from each other. In addition, people frequently mix and match, or innovate because they prefer this lettershape to that one.

Either I'm the minority or else I just made up my own. Lol

I asked dh and he doesn't remember it as a 2 but I should look at my mom's letters. She still writes everything in cursive. The crazy thing is that I've read things written in cursive but don't ever remember a 2. Maybe it traumatized me so much that I blank out when I read that letter aline. :)

I was taught the one that looks like a 2 in the 80's but my husband says he was taught the other way. We just had this discussion as I was looking for cursive books for my kids. Both kids decided they want to learn the one that is like a capital Q.

I may be losing it, but when did a capital cursive q change to look like a 2?

I remember it from school as a circle with a loop on bottom.

Traditionally, historically, an upper-case q looked like a 2. That changed fairly recently. I suspect that D'Nealian started that trend, which would have been in the 80s, I believe.

Here's a page with samples of several hands. Only D'Nealian and New American Cursive write q like a 2.

I never understood why its formed that way.  I would rather my dc just write it the way you described, as an O with a loop.  It makes much more sense to me, even though I learned the tricky 2.  We recently switched from HWOT to New American Cursive, and I much prefer their Q.

I always hated several of the cursive capitals. I stopped writing in cursive by high school and now if I try it's very slow and sloppy (and my normal handwriting is neat and pretty). I kind of wish I'd kept up the skill. I never insisted my kids learn it and now neither of them do. Sometimes I'm kind of paranoid that this is something I should have made them learn.