Menu

Can I Brag on my Oldest for a Moment? Passed the Testdaf!

TranquilMind

Woo hoo! 

Just got the word that she passed this incredibly difficult, intimidating test to demonstrate German proficiency!    She had to travel from Berlin to another city several hours away, stay in a hostel, and then find the test center, and pull this off.  It was very loud and hundreds were speaking at the same time, which she said was really distracting (and she is rarely distracted, unlike me).   She had to write 7 essays, I think it was, about different topics in German and on the spot, and listen and respond appropriately to various people, some with very strong accents of different nationalities. 

She went from zero to fluent in 5 months and pulled this off, the only one of the group of students with whom she went through a few months of language classes to do so thus far!

Proud Mama.   I just had to tell someone.  Not every teen is so intrepid; I know I wasn't, but wish I had been!  ;)

• Like 41

Woohoo! Well done!  :hurray:

And, last I checked, it's not bragging if it's true. 

Thank you!  With a little hiccup of temporarily losing a bag in another country and tracking it down within 5 days, she has managed adult life quite well!  Not bad for a teen!

That's fantastic! German is not an easy language to learn. She has put in a lot of hard work. Did she have any experience other foreign languages before going to Germany? What kind of study or language program did she do?

She had taken Latin from about 4th grade through AP Latin. She says this did make it easier. It all seemed to come much easier to her than the others, and they even had her skip ahead some sections, saying she didn't need it.

Moral: do Latin! She also got a perfect score on SAT verbal section, which she also attributes to Latin and nonstop reading.

I wish they all had done so much Latin now. It just didn't work out that way.