Menu

My 15 Year Old Wants To Attend Community College

My teenager who has always been homeschooled in a rather relaxed, eclectic fashion would like to attend community college in place of 11th and 12th grades.  He's hoping to have an AAS in Information Technology by the time he's 18.  This seemed like a great plan, but now I'm beginning to freak out a bit!  I'm worrying about every little thing.  He'll be taking all online classes the first 2 semesters, which will definitely make things easier - but still, it's an adjustment to get used to 4 new classes, teachers, and sets of assignments.  He's only ever taken one test in his life, and that was the ACT test last month.

Any words of wisdom?  I keep trying to tell myself he's a smart kid, and this won't be a problem.  But then I get that lump in my throat and worry he's not ready for this.

Thanks - it's the programming classes I'm worried about.  He doesn't have much programming experience because my plan was to work those in the upcoming year - now it seems he'll be taking them for college credit - and I'm worrying it will be too much for him.  I did buy a Java book on Amazon yesterday so he can dabble in it a few hours a day over the summer.  I guess I need to breathe and just go with this.  I never took any community college classes so I have no idea what to expect in terms of how they compare to regular university classes.

My kids started cc at 15 and 17 years old.  The only test they ever took in their lives was the placement test at cc. They did just fine and can't believe how easy it is.  They transitioned effortlessly into a classroom setting. Our cc has plenty of homeschooled kids, so one thinks it's weird. We've had a great experience.

To all homeschoolers sending kids to non-Christian colleges,

Don't do it if adult discussions and adult language upset you or them. They will hear all kinds of profanity from the other kids and the teachers. Nothing will have a Christian worldview and if that bothers you, don't send them.  If your children can't handle discussion of adult topics from various different worldviews don't send them.  Do not, I repeat, do not send them to cc and let them take a philosophy class with a teacher that makes a joke about every kind of philosophy and religion if they or you cannot laugh at themselves.  I have heard about some homeschoolers who do those things and are in a huff.  The philosophy teacher has the kids sign a paper that states they will not have their mommies call and complain that they heard about different philosophies...Did I mention that was in the philosophy class? Your child will not hear about science from a creationist point of view-be reconciled to that now.  The books they read may have a morally neutral view of things you consider sin.  If that upsets you, don't send them. Stuff like that.

• Like 1

At the beginning of the semester, print an extra copy or two of each syllabus for your own records - you may need a copy later when putting together his course descriptions, and you may need a copy as proof of material covered for some other as yet unknown purpose.  Save all work he does in his classes, just in case it's needed years later.  (Sounds odd, but it's happened to several on this board.)

Before classes start, sit down with him and map out all known dates for the semester using the course syllabi and cc website - assignments, quizzes, tests, drop dates, tuition payment dates, etc., plus any other time commitments he has.  Help him work out a schedule that includes at least two hours study time for each hour in class, and three for courses you expect to be more difficult for him.  He may not need that much time for his studies, but it's better to plan for it and not need it than to need it and not have it.  Make sure that his headset microphone works (assuming that's needed for his courses). Make sure he is able to log in to Blackboard or whatever other grade tracking software the cc uses. 

Once courses start, make sure he knows to check his student email and Blackboard every day in case a professor has sent a message.  Be sure that he checks his student account regularly for fees due.  Keep an eye on his use of time to be sure he is getting his assignments submitted when they are due, and even a bit before they are due, just in case there is a technical glitch.  They do happen from time to time.

• Like 3

That's such wonderfully helpful advice!  The time management aspect is something he'll definitely need assistance with the first semester or two - so thank you for the reminder of the things I need to go over with him and keep an eye on.  I need to remember that even though he's a smart kid, he IS still a kid, and I'm still responsible for his educational wellbeing :)

That's such wonderfully helpful advice!  The time management aspect is something he'll definitely need assistance with the first semester or two - so thank you for the reminder of the things I need to go over with him and keep an eye on.  I need to remember that even though he's a smart kid, he IS still a kid, and I'm still responsible for his educational wellbeing :)

I've been a community college professor for 15+ years now, and teach face-to-face for one college and online for another.

In general, I don't recommend a full course load right away. At one of the colleges I work for, high school students are only allowed to take two courses their first semester and only from an approved list.  After that you can do more, but they restrict it at first.  At the face-to-face college, I teach the basic computer literacy course that everybody takes, and about 1/2 of my dual enrollment students fail it. It is NOT a hard class, but keeping up with constant deadlines trips up a lot of them.

Also keep in mind that online classes are generally HARDER than face-to-face.  There is more time involved, and you have to figure out a lot more on your own than you do in a face-to-face or hybrid class (limited sessions).  The number of students who fail online classes is significantly higher than face-to-face.  

My oldest has taken a mixture of face-to-face, hybrid, and online classes from professors that I know personally, and it was interesting that when we registered him for full-time college there this fall, he refused to take anything 100% online.  He has three hybrids and the rest are face-to-face.  He feels like there's too much that has to be figured out on your own and that they are too time-consuming.

Of course some kids are ready for anything you throw at them, but in my experience, many dual enrollment kids are not ready for full-time, online enrollment their first semester.

• Like 6

I would recommend doing in person classes over online ones, particularly if this is his first experience in a non-homeschool environment.  Online classes are generally more difficult than in person ones.  

• Like 2

My teenager who has always been homeschooled in a rather relaxed, eclectic fashion would like to attend community college in place of 11th and 12th grades.  He's hoping to have an AAS in Information Technology by the time he's 18.  This seemed like a great plan, but now I'm beginning to freak out a bit!  I'm worrying about every little thing.  He'll be taking all online classes the first 2 semesters, which will definitely make things easier - but still, it's an adjustment to get used to 4 new classes, teachers, and sets of assignments.  He's only ever taken one test in his life, and that was the ACT test last month.

Any words of wisdom?  I keep trying to tell myself he's a smart kid, and this won't be a problem.  But then I get that lump in my throat and worry he's not ready for this.

Congratulations to you and DS on stepping out into dual enrollment! :) 

Dual enrollment courses are also an awesome opportunity to spread the wings, take more rigorous coursework, try out vocational-tech courses, and outsource in a way that provides most high school AND college credit! And, as your family is planning, a great way to complete or get a good ways into an AAS degree while still in high school.

Every community college is different, so you have to do your research and transfer policies, administrative policies, and ratings of instructors. And, you have to know your student and know how much it's time to let go and let them try riding without the training wheels.

So, with that as a preface, please know that my comments below are just some things to consider -- they may NOT be applicable to your student / situation / school at all! :) I'm just bringing these things up in case you hadn't considered them, and in case you and DS find that any of these points need to be discussed before starting with all college classes in the fall, as you asked for any words of wisdom. :)

My teenager who has always been homeschooled in a rather relaxed, eclectic fashion would like to attend community college in place of 11th and 12th grades…  it's an adjustment to get used to 4 new classes, teachers, and sets of assignments.  He's only ever taken one test in his life, and that was the ACT test last month.

You might consider starting with just two classes to give your 11th grader a semester to transition from homeschool to college -- a College Success or Study Skills class, and a course in his core discipline of IT. That would allow DS to:

- learn to navigate his college "my page" account, get used to the college campus, check out the free tutoring

- learn the "blackboard" or other electronic set-up for retrieving class info, turning in online assignments, uploading papers, etc.

- get used to the faster pace and more rigorous level of work

- develop study skills -- how to study, test-taking, time management, turning in assignments, etc.

Starting more gently also allows for time to participate in high school extracurriculars of interest -- the more dual enrollment, the less time a student has to do sports, clubs, groups of interest, etc.

Also, you might start with subject areas of high interest to DS or that are a strength of DS, which would likely result in a high level of success. If your student struggles with writing or science, I would NOT choose those as first exposure classes to dual enrollment, but would instead either do those at home and strengthen those areas first before outsourcing.

Or, maybe do one of those College Success / Study Skills classes as summer school; frequently those courses are only 1-2 units, so that wouldn't be too difficult, and it would give DS the ability to "get his feet wet" and get used to the school's systems before "starting for real" in the fall.

Dual enrollment courses are part of a student's permanent college transcript, and must be submitted to future colleges/universities for admission -- failure to do so can result in suspension, loss of scholarship monies, or expulsion. So dual enrollment is a serious undertaking.

… He'll be taking all online classes the first 2 semesters, which will definitely make things easier ...

Just an FYI: there's a good chance that online classes could actually make things harder for a student's first dual enrollment experience: 

- our experience has been that online classes have far less teacher support -- there is no live teacher to ask questions of in the midst of class, no office hours to go ask for clarification, no ability to build relationship with the instructor in case your grade is right on the edge or if you need a recommendation for a special opportunity

- also our experience: online instructors are often difficult about responding to questions and emails; one DS never was able to get a response from one of his online instructors

- online classes require a lot of self-discipline -- in contrast, meeting for a class motivates a student to get assignments done and reminds the student to turn in work

- SUPER easy to mess up an online class, fall behind, or just "forget" because it's for "out of sight, out of mind" (Both of our DSs had MAJOR "oopsies" with online classes that were very difficult to cover from -- and this was AFTER each had graduated from high school and had been attending the community college full time for a year…)

Any words of wisdom?

- Since this is dual enrollment, you can still advocate for DS.

- Discuss together in advance of the fall semester what strategies are available to DS if he ends up with a poor instructor.

- Discuss together in advance of the fall semester what strategies are available to DS if he struggles with a class or material (immediately seek out the free tutoring; contact the instructor; study group with classmates…)

- If a class is going badly, it is OKAY to withdraw. :) Better a "W" with no GPA attached, than a permanent low grade that lowers the GPA and has to be re-taken.

BEST of luck as your family starts on this new adventure! :) Warmest regards, Lori D.

• Like 1

Re: online versus in person - he has a great deal of social anxiety, and my thoughts were that the relative difficulty of online versus in person classes for the first semester will be affected by this anxiety.  We may do 3 online and 1 on campus just to let him dip his toes into the actual classroom pool - perhaps for the course he feels most confident about.  I'll be helping keep him on top of deadlines and such when it comes to the online courses - and he will only be taking intro level courses online.  When he gets into the more advanced programming and network courses, he will be doing those in person.  He's excited about getting a head start on college coursework, but the only time he's ever set foot in a school was to take the ACT.  Baby steps...  Points about online courses are well taken, though, and I will be sure to put in extra effort to assist him with the potential pitfalls of online classes.

Unless he's super organized and disciplined, I also do not suggest stating with multiple online classes.

There's a structure imposed on the student for face to face class. The student must impose structure on himself for online.

I would suggest one class, no more than two to start. At his age many students, especially young men have zero study skills. I would make the first semester a time when you teach study skills. Set up an orgizational system for each class with his input so he will use it. Have him check all sources of communication (campus website, class website, blackboard, email) everyday. I'd suggest checking whatever the instructor lists as preferred communication at least twice a day. Have him search every single window on blackboard regularly (my dd had an instructor who was disorganized and you could never know where an assignment would appear, despite the fact that each window had names suggesting they were for different things). Teach how to take notes. Teach home review daily even when he knows it all.

IOW I'm suggesting until you are certain ds has mastered the organization part of class, you may be involved as much as you were when you were instructing him in basic skills like reading and math at age 6 or 7.

• Like 1

I do not recommend starting off with FOUR classes. I know that at our cc, they only allow TWO classes/semester to start. After you have completed 12 credit hours in good standing, you can request permission to take more than 2 classes/semester.

First off, I would cut down to just TWO classes for the first semester. I also would not recommend doing all online even when social anxiety is a major factor. Maybe do one online and one in-person.

If the first semester goes well, then increase to three classes the next semester (if the cc allows it) and then to four classes after that.

It sounds like you are planning to start with four classes/semester every long semester starting in the fall.

Instead, I would recommend starting with ONE class over the summer, TWO classes in the fall, THREE classes in the spring, TWO classes over the next summer, and then going to FOUR classes/semester. This will ease him in to the class load and still get him through the same number of classes in two years.

• Like 1

IOW I'm suggesting until you are certain ds has mastered the organization part of class, you may be involved as much as you were when you were instructing him in basic skills like reading and math at age 6 or 7.

If he's not used to self-management, you're indeed going to need to be very involved for at least the first semester or so.  

FWIW, some teens can only take so much of this though.  I know of several local families who pulled back from dual enrollment because the amount of parental involvement required to keep them going was beginning to significantly affect their relationship with their teen.

You also need to be prepared to pull out if needed.  It's better to admit a lesson that had to be learned than to end up with a lot of bad grades.  College admissions people are more understanding of withdrawals than they are of D's and F's.

Of course we're not saying that this will happen, but it's best to go in understanding the implications.

He's hoping to have an AAS in Information Technology by the time he's 18.  

What are his longer term goals?   An AAS in IT is not as useful for employment as it was 20 years ago.

I would start with just a Math class and a programming class.  Those are pretty straightforward online.

Did he have to take a placement test?  That is required at our local CC for all.

Use Rate my Professor and other stuff to find the good online instructors. 

If you post the particular CC - many folks here could look over the course selection.

Thanks.  I just discovered there is a "college success skills" course which is only offered on campus - I'm going to enroll him in that and then play the rest by ear for now.  He wants to take math, the intro computer science course, and composition (along with that success skills course).  When I look at that, it really doesn't seem like "too much", but I've gotten some words of warning in this thread which I will be taking to heart, and I appreciate that.  He's not currently working or doing any extra-curriculars, so part of me is tempted to just go for those 4 classes - and part of me is worried now that anything more than 2 will be too much.

What are his longer term goals?   An AAS in IT is not as useful for employment as it was 20 years ago.

Yes, I didn't key on that, but that's an important point.  At the face-to-face college where I teach, the A.A.S. in IT has a networking focus because that's the only area where you can get a job with just an A.A.S. Programming and web design require a bachelor's degree or a lot of experience in my area. That degree doesn't transfer either.  

If you want a 4-year degree in IT or computer science, you'd have to go to a neighboring community college that has a transfer A.S. degree in IT or computer science.

• Like 1

Is there any sort of extracurricular activity he has an interest in?  One that maybe other local homeschoolers are a part of?  You say he has some social anxieties.  I would maybe want to put that as a priority this next year and get him involved in some sort of extracurricular that could maybe help him with his anxieties while still in a more controlled environment.  It could also maybe help out with future career interests.  

4 CC classes when he has not had tons of heavy deadlines could be a killer.  Even just two on-line classes can be really, really challenging.  I know it doesn't seem like much.  Honestly, it can be.  For one thing, the courses are semester long courses, right?  So basically they are double paced compared to a standard High School course.  

Maybe you could contact the professors and get a copy of the syllabus and look over the materials required?  Write out the pacing for each course on a calendar and see what demands of his time (and yours) there would be on a week to week basis?  It might help you and he make a more informed decision.

Yes, I didn't key on that, but that's an important point.  At the face-to-face college where I teach, the A.A.S. in IT has a networking focus because that's the only area where you can get a job with just an A.A.S. Programming and web design require a bachelor's degree or a lot of experience in my area. That degree doesn't transfer either.  

If you want a 4-year degree in IT or computer science, you'd have to go to a neighboring community college that has a transfer A.S. degree in IT or computer science.

Yes, the program he's looking at is IT with a concentration in Information Assurance/Networking - which seems to be the concentration most likely to lead to gainful employment with an AAS in this area.

I was looking through the HS board for something else entirely but wanted to pop in.. My kids are TINY!  So I'm no where near thinking about this... BUT... I will say that what your kid wants to do is what my plan/hope is for my kids.  My DH hadn't finished high school... at one point he got his GED and went to the local community college... particularly to a really good program there.  Within 2 years of finishing he's completely transformed our lives.  He had never been to college... had never studied really ever (he's super smart and never really studied in school cause he didn't need to)..  (To compare... I have a PhD and he's making more money than I ever have)

He's obviously a father... so for all the right reasons took it really seriously...  And he's read more than I have even if he hadn't been to college before.  But his experience absolutely sold me on the community college experience and the ability it has to put you ahead and get through transitions...  It's seriously my new goal to graduate my kids from homeschool with a 2 year associates degree...  If possible in a practical or journeyman field.  My DH got several scholarships offered him to continue his Bachelor's based on his grades.  A lot of the students took the classes very seriously... were balancing work or family... and didn't have most of the pitfalls or distractions that most 4 year universities offer.  Therefor maybe a good transition point from homeschool to the big, bad, awesome world of university?  

Best of luck!

Both of my dds began taking classes at the c.c. when they were 14. We did not push them to graduate in two years, though. :-) For us, it was c.c. instead of high school, something which was easy for us to do in California.

We were very relaxed at home, but both dds adjusted pretty painlessly to real structure. I was especially impressed with younger dd, who was not reading at her age level until she was 9 1/2 and who aced almost all of her classes, would take notes and come home and rewrite them with color coding and everything, and who would complete any papers almost a week before they were due.