Menu

Poll -- choose the Side Dish

LisaKinVA

Choose the Side Dish  

107 members have voted

1. 1. Which Side Dish do you think would be MOST popular?

• Potato Salad (creamy, mustard, nothing fancy)
    • Five Bean Salad
    • Cole Slaw
    • Black Bean/Corn Salad
    • Other (please list)

I'm trying to come up with a menu I can produce within regulations. This will be for my son's Eagle Project (we need to raise between $5,000 and $10,000 dollars).  

My main dish will be fried chicken (it's not available on the base).  I know I'll be making some homemade buttermilk biscuits.  I need another COLD side dish. Which do you think my target population (mostly men, mostly active duty Navy) would prefer?

I have not listed a green salad, because of the time necessary to dish that up properly.  I want a COLD side (it's summer after all), and I don't want to have to worry about power.  Whatever side we do needs to be COLD, and needs to just require a spoon to dish up.

Thank you!

I voted for potato salad, as I think it's what most people would prefer. However, for me personally, fried chicken and biscuits require cole slaw. I grew up with KFC most Sundays, so I'm all about fried chicken, biscuits, slaw, and baked beans ... maybe also some green beans if someone was on a health kick.

• Like 5

I voted for potato salad, as I think it's what most people would prefer. However, for me personally, fried chicken and biscuits require cole slaw. I grew up with KFC most Sundays, so I'm all about fried chicken, biscuits, slaw, and baked beans ... maybe also some green beans if someone was on a health kick.

Same here. I'd prefer cole slaw but voted potato salad as what I think would be most popular. The local grocery stores that offer a (usually fried) chicken dinner meal usually include chicken, rolls, and 2 sides with potato salad being very popular (based on how many boxes of potato salad vs cole slaw I see in the deli).

I can't quote on my phone, but, Cinder, I wonder if maybe we have it backwards? Maybe you see a lot of potato salad in the deli because it isn't selling, whereas the slaw flies off the shelves?

Lisa, if you're experience is that there's a lot of potato salad left over, I'd go with slaw instead.

• Like 1

See, my experience with Potato Salad has been not as good -- it's been the thing that gets left over.  

Could it be that when people make potato salad they make a humongous bowl of it but a batch of cole slaw tends to be smaller? That's generally how I see those two salads presented. And then since people usually take just a scoop of salad more of the potato is left over?

If your hunch is that cole slaw would sell better then just go with that. I personally like the contrast in flavor that cole slaw brings to the meal. I just usually see more potato salad at events. Maybe we're all on the Road to Abilene: everyone really wants cole slaw but thinks everyone else wants potato salad so that's what they agree on. But in reality no one really wanted potato salad.

I can't quote on my phone, but, Cinder, I wonder if maybe we have it backwards? Maybe you see a lot of potato salad in the deli because it isn't selling, whereas the slaw flies off the shelves?

I meant more space is allotted to potato salad. I figure in a grocery store that means that's what they sell more of, right?

• Like 2

If you are going to the deli to buy the potato salad, what I used to do was take my serving bowl and a roll of saran wrap to the deli.  Then just hand them the bowl and say "Fill it up with potato salad"  They would zero out the scale with the bowl on it, and fill it up.  I'd cover it with saran wrap, and they'd stick the price sticker on the wrap.  

In the lab I worked at in college there were many Korean students and we'd have potluck picnics every now and then.  The potato salad was a huge hit.  Particularly among the non-Koreans to cool down the heat of the Korean food.  

As a vegetarian, I'd prefer the black bean/corn salad because I could make a meal out of it, but I think coleslaw or potato salad would be more popular. My question would be keeping the food - will it be out in the heat for hours? I'd lean towards something non mayo based if that's the case. 

I don't like potato salad personally, but after working in a deli in my late teens, it is absolutely the most popular.  Potato salad or macaroni salad are the two top sellers for picnic or bbq style events.

• Like 1

Whatever salad I have will be kept in a cooler until ready to serve.  Nothing will be sitting out.  I'll have it portioned out, so that I just use one pan to dish up from at a time.  Nothing will be sitting out for hours.

My family is full of low-carbers.  They all like cole slaw.  I don't like slaw at all -- prefer potato salad.  The recipe is really good (has some bacon in it, too), but everyone feels guilty eating potato salad.  KWIM?  They will take a small bit of potato salad, because they like it -- but a huge serving of cole slaw (my family only likes KFC's cole slaw, too)

• Like 1

Whatever salad I have will be kept in a cooler until ready to serve. Nothing will be sitting out. I'll have it portioned out, so that I just use one pan to dish up from at a time. Nothing will be sitting out for hours.

My family is full of low-carbers. They all like cole slaw. I don't like slaw at all -- prefer potato salad. The recipe is really good (has some bacon in it, too), but everyone feels guilty eating potato salad. KWIM? They will take a small bit of potato salad, because they like it -- but a huge serving of cole slaw (my family only likes KFC's cole slaw, too)

I'm not sure that food guilt is an applicable motive with a group of military guys. I'd have vats of potato salad on hand. Still, cole slaw is SO easy, I'd be tempted to do both.

• Like 4

As this is not a "healthy" meal [ :001_smile:  ], I voted for the potato salad as being the stereotyped "expected" side dish.  I was raised not to serve potatoes and bread (in this case, biscuits) simultaneously; however, the other choices listed are not, typically, lunged for by the average man.  ;)